Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a new 24" monitor to replace my current 23" TV. It will act as my computer monitor and my TV monitor (long story) I was looking at available 24" monitors and i see 16:10 ratios (mainly the samsungs that i like) and 16:9 ratios (a dell version i liked). When i went to look up reviews on the monitors, i see people complaining about how you loose desktop real estate when you choose 16:9 (like 230,000 pixels or something like that) The last time i had a 24" monitor, i returned it for 2 reasons, a) money and b) it seemed like just too much space. But now i'm getting one.

So my question is, is the 16:9 vs the 16:10 ratio just up to personal preference, or does it really even matter? I will be using this to watch TV (HD, blu-ray, and an analog channel for a few months)

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
since your going to watch movies on it, grab a 16:9. then you won't have black lines on the edge of your screen.

personal preference is everything.
try to find a local store that has it, and see it in person before buying.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok guys, thanks for the input. it's greatly appreciated. +rep!

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
Yep, 16:9 for movies, and 16:10 for "computing" I take that extra inch on the bottom for the taskbar or something

Go with the 16:9, it'll suit you better, and is more standard.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I don't see why black lines annoy people?

The frame of my monitor was black so having black lines on the screen beside the black frame never really bothered me.

To each their own I guess.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Realcacheese View Post
How can you tell if a monitor is 16:10 or 16:9?
1920x1200, 1680x1050, and 1440x900 all come out to 16:10 o_O
16:10 and 16:9 are screen size ratios. For example. 1920x1080 is 16:9.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
It is personal preference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by realcacheese
How can you tell if a monitor is 16:10 or 16:9?
1920x1200, 1680x1050, and 1440x900 all come out to 16:10 o_O
The most popular 16:9 format is 1920x1080

To the OP: For movies, using a 16:9 monitor is so much better it isn't funny. I am loving mine. The cons are of course that the screen does feel very very wide when you use it.

• Rep+
Reactions: hellboy_101

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm gonna borrow a friend's 24" 16:0 and see how i like that (but it's only gonna be for like 5 mins) and then if i don't like, i'll get a 16:9 ratio.

·
Registered
116 Posts
most of the time 16:10 looks just fine with movies, and you'll a slightly higher resolution with 16:10 (1920x1200). I had a Benq 24" before I got my sammy 30" and I've watched many movies on it, high-def and just plain old DVD and they looked fine as long as you have the right decoder, yes you get black bars sometimes, but it does look fine, I would go with the 16:10 just for the couple thousand extra pixels.

I love those pixels, thats why I got my 30" 4.1 million compared to that Benq with only about 2.1 million

·
Registered
719 Posts
I will post my thought(doubt) here: If i just switch my resolution from 1920x1200 to 1920x 1080, won't the monitor become 16:9 ? If so, aint 16:10 montors better since they can do 16:9 as well while native 16:9 monitors can't do the opposite?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Theres either going to be black bars at the end (i dont mind that) or it will be disoriented (i do mind that)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbull1985 View Post
I will post my thought(doubt) here: If i just switch my resolution from 1920x1200 to 1920x 1080, won't the monitor become 16:9 ? If so, aint 16:10 montors better since they can do 16:9 as well while native 16:9 monitors can't do the opposite?
You are right, in essence a 16:10 monitor can be a 16:9 monitor, but instead of the movie filling the screen, you've black bars to fill the each space that goes unoccupied.

Personally, I bought a 26" KDS LCD. I've not received it yet, but for 270 from EBay, and Live.com...I'm not complaining. For me, the extra black space won't matter, I'll have extra space for my gaming or computing needs. I'm definitely against the whole move from 16:10 to 16:9, I understand the benefits for the companies producing them. But the whole "true HD" benefit for customers just doesn't push my buttons.

And yeah, it is all about personal preference. I may not mind the extra, darker tinted black lines, but you might. Just find out for yourself, as you've said you will be, then decide. Pictures online were enough for me to make my decision...And the fact that my monitor will be FREAKIN' HUGE!

On a side note, a 26" LCD's like having half a big screen sitting on your desk! I can't wait until Tuesday!

EDIT* Did I mention that I love these forums? I love these forums.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Errrr that's if the movie is 16:9

Most aren't fellas. I own a 16:9 TV....almost every new movie is not 16:9

Sorry, both will have black bars.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoweller
View Post

You are right, in essence a 16:10 monitor can be a 16:9 monitor, but instead of the movie filling the screen, you've black bars to fill the each space that goes unoccupied.

Personally, I bought a 26" KDS LCD. I've not received it yet, but for 270 from EBay, and Live.com...I'm not complaining. For me, the extra black space won't matter, I'll have extra space for my gaming or computing needs. I'm definitely against the whole move from 16:10 to 16:9, I understand the benefits for the companies producing them. But the whole "true HD" benefit for customers just doesn't push my buttons.

And yeah, it is all about personal preference. I may not mind the extra, darker tinted black lines, but you might. Just find out for yourself, as you've said you will be, then decide. Pictures online were enough for me to make my decision...And the fact that my monitor will be FREAKIN' HUGE!

On a side note, a 26" LCD's like having half a big screen sitting on your desk! I can't wait until Tuesday!

EDIT* Did I mention that I love these forums? I love these forums.

Only one thing, if you set the monitor thats 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 the monitor will just scale the image and cause slight distortion depending on the scaling capabilities of that monitor.

·
Registered
116 Posts
By the way thats a good price for a 26 incher, my 30" sammy was $1200 but I display your sceenies with alot of room to play with on the side at 2560x1600

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, just tried me out a 24" 16:120 acer but it pixelated like crazy (mainly because it might have been a bit on the cheap side) but the 16:10 aspect doesn't tick me off. So, now to my mission to find good 24" monitors that don't tear like crazy and don't cost an arm and a leg.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by keith27
View Post

Errrr that's if the movie is 16:9

Most aren't fellas. I own a 16:9 TV....almost every new movie is not 16:9

Sorry, both will have black bars.

Err what? Most new movies are 1080P or 720P both of which are 16:9 formats.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts