Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do these numbers mean? i see people talking about them but I haven't seen anyone explain them. how can I tell if something is 16:10 or 16:9?

Also I'm looking to get a new display for gaming mainly and everyday use.

suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit: my price range is 200-250
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,889 Posts
These numbers are the aspect ratios.

A 16:10 monitor is a bit bigger than a 16:9 so I'd recommend a 16:10 monitor for gaming.

Someone on here will say that 16:9 monitors are better for movies, but there really is no difference.

What you should be looking for in a monitor includes but is not limited to:

pixel resolution
refrash rate
bezel size if you plan on using multiple monitors
contrast ratio
viewing angle
brightness
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,726 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xdanisx View Post
These numbers are the aspect ratios.

A 16:10 monitor is a bit bigger than a 16:9 so I'd recommend a 16:10 monitor for gaming.
This, and I agree completely! You get more vertical screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan33p View Post
what do these numbers mean? i see people talking about them but I haven't seen anyone explain them. how can I tell if something is 16:10 or 16:9?

Also I'm looking to get a new display for gaming mainly and everyday use.

suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit: my price range is 200-250
16:10 and 16:9 are aspect ratios for widescreen monitors, just like how 4:3 is the aspect ratio for a square monitor (for lack of a better term).

Anyway, I recommend this monitor, its pretty amazing, my friend just got it and it looks great especially for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-083-_-Product
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,889 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocelyn84 View Post
This, and I agree completely! You get more vertical screen.
Thanks for noticing my typo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Yeah 16:10 would yield a slightly higher resolution as opposed to 16:9.

For example (16:10 -> 1920 x 1200, 16:9 -> 1920 x 1080). Correct me if I'm wrong but I think its like that. Anyway though look at the monitor I posted above, its really a great monitor, just don't plan on mounting it on a stand or something because it has no holes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
16:10 is closer to the golden ratio and is therefore a more appealing size ratio than 16:9. just ask nature!

/thread
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,889 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan View Post
Yeah 16:10 would yield a slightly higher resolution as opposed to 16:9.

For example (16:10 -> 1920 x 1200, 16:9 -> 1920 x 1080). Correct me if I'm wrong but I think its like that. Anyway though look at the monitor I posted above, its really a great monitor, just don't plan on mounting it on a stand or something because it has no holes.
Correct.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top