Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Page 3 has the "Updated Parts and Configuration List" on it. I didn't want to lose the information already given so I just continued with the new info on the same post.... Most of the parts are the same, but the CPU, RAM and Mobo has changed. I have also added a Monoblock (CPU and VRM), 3 Temperature Probes, 240mm radiator and an Aquaero 6XT, plus making it a Dual Loop now.



OK, this is my first post so please bare with me and be gentle!
I really need help trying to figure this out.
I used to dabble with overclocking back in the day (AMD FX2 i think), and recently got back into gaming and overclocking. Up until now I've been only using air to cool, but now I have an AIO (H115i) with a i7-6900k @ 4.2ghz and its a little too warm for my peace of mind. Plus, it sounds like a turbine engine (Noctua 3000rpm fans) and heats up my computer room like a fireplace
! So I have ordered everything to build a new custom loop rig, specs as follows;

Caselabs SMA8
i7-6950X
Rampage V Edition 10
64gb Trident 3200
2x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3
Corsair AX1200i

For cooling I ordered;
1x EK 480mm PE Radiator w/8 EK-Vardar EVO 120ER 2200rpm fans {0.18a/2.16w} (push/pull)
1x EK 560mm CE Radiator w/8 EK-Vardar EVO 140ER 2000rpm fans {0.35a/3.86w} (push/pull)
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial Pumps (2 pumps in 1 package)
2x EK-RES X3 250 Reservoirs
4x EK-Cable Splitter 4-Fan PWM - Molex Power
(All other parts like blocks, tubing, fittings back plates)

4x Swiftech 8-Way PWM Cable Splitter - SATA Power

I decided to go push/pull so I can keep the fans at a much lower RPM to reduce noise, plus I understand that the i7-6950x gets pretty warm when you start to push it. Also both GTX 1080 Tis will be part of the loop.

Now, LOL, This will be a single loop, with 2 rads, 2 res and 2 pumps, but with 16 fans! I am pretty sure I'm just over thinking this and the solution is simple, its just I cant for the life of me see it! I can't figure out how I'm going to power all 16 fans with the same PWM signal, so they will be running together.
I was reading on another thread that the "Start-up Draw" can be almost double what the "Full Speed Draw" is.Is that something I really have to worry about? Should I get a controller like an Aquaero 6 Pro/XT?
I think I might have gone "Too Big" for my first Custom Watercooling Loop
, but hey, I'm in it to win it now! Everything is here waiting for the case to arrive, so I need ya'lls help to plan it out before the case arrives.
So the main questions are:
Will the 4-way PWM Molex Powered Splitters have enough power with 1x Molex per 4x fans?(4x120's=0.72a/8.64w) (4x 140s=1.4a/15.44w)
Where will I get the PWM signal for 4 splitters with 16 total fans? (8x 120's=1.44a/17.28w)(8x 140's=2.80a/30.88w)
Should I use the 8-way Swiftech splitters instead? Or maybe use them both together?
I know there is a "HIGH_AMP" header on my motherboard, but no one, including ASUS Support techs, can tell me exactly what that particular header puts out for power. Maybe it could power all the fans? Probably not! Wishful thinking.
:p
 

·
Overclock Failed...
Joined
·
13,565 Posts
You can't plug 16 fans into a motherboard - It will burn out the fan header.
And you can't send 16 PWM control signals to a motherboard - I will just get confused.

There are special PWM "splitters" that use one motherboard PWN control circuit to control multiple fans. Swiftech has one that will do 8 fans.



1.) Watercooling doesn't reduce the amount of heat going into a room.
2.) you could try pulling 5 volts from a 12 volt molex connector. That's what I do with my three Delta FFB1212EHE fans.Then I jJust plug them into a full 12 volts when I need the extra cooling

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
IIRC you can pull up to 10 amps from one molex connector, nothing to worry about with powering that many fans. SATA is much lower but still enough for 8 of the fans. Either one of the splitters you got will work fine.

You can connect the PWM leads from the splitters to any of the fan headers on the motherboard and set the speed manually in BIOS or with Asus software.

If you want to do custom fan curves you should get a temp sensor in your loop. You may need to use the chassis fan headers specifically if you do that because the cpu fan headers might only use cpu temp as the source for curves (check the manual or BIOS before doing final wiring).

I don't think a stand alone fan controller is necessary with the motherboard you have, it already has a temp sensor input and plenty of fan headers to connect your splitters.

I've seen some "high amp" fan headers listed as supporting up to 3A but those are more useful for pumps that have 4pin connectors only with no separate power, not for connecting dozens of fans with splitters.
 

·
Meep
Joined
·
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r9miner View Post

IIRC you can pull up to 10 amps from one molex connector, nothing to worry about with powering that many fans. SATA is much lower but still enough for 8 of the fans. Either one of the splitters you got will work fine.

You can connect the PWM leads from the splitters to any of the fan headers on the motherboard and set the speed manually in BIOS or with Asus software.

If you want to do custom fan curves you should get a temp sensor in your loop. You may need to use the chassis fan headers specifically if you do that because the cpu fan headers might only use cpu temp as the source for curves (check the manual or BIOS before doing final wiring).

I don't think a stand alone fan controller is necessary with the motherboard you have, it already has a temp sensor input and plenty of fan headers to connect your splitters.

I've seen some "high amp" fan headers listed as supporting up to 3A but those are more useful for pumps that have 4pin connectors only with no separate power, not for connecting dozens of fans with splitters.
Considering you're already going for a baller watercooling setup, you might as well get a baller fan/pump control setup.
The Aquaero 6, the best controller hands down, combine it with 2 aquabus D5 pumps, a flow and temp sensor.
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=62&XTCsid=u6ate00leqigkbum3qe7okhl9sdhoagb
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=7&XTCsid=u6ate00leqigkbum3qe7okhl9sdhoagb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

You can't plug 16 fans into a motherboard - It will burn out the fan header.
And you can't send 16 PWM control signals to a motherboard - I will just get confused.

There are special PWM "splitters" that use one motherboard PWN control circuit to control multiple fans. Swiftech has one that will do 8 fans.



1.) Watercooling doesn't reduce the amount of heat going into a room.
2.) you could try pulling 5 volts from a 12 volt molex connector. That's what I do with my three Delta FFB1212EHE fans.Then I jJust plug them into a full 12 volts when I need the extra cooling

I actually have 4 of those swiftech splitters, I also have 4 of the EK 4-way splitters. I'm guessing that the Molex powered 8-way swiftech would probably be better than the SATA powered EK 4-way? Since apparently the SATA does not have as much power as the Molex.
If the Molex is pulling 12v, could I still use it? Meaning that whatever volts the fans are not pulling will not harm anything connected to the Molex plug? (dam I think I just confused myself with that question)
Now I think I understand about the PWM signal, Only one fan on the splitter will be sending(or whatever they do) the PWM signal, and the remainder of the fans on that splitter will be controlled off of that one right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by r9miner View Post

IIRC you can pull up to 10 amps from one molex connector, nothing to worry about with powering that many fans. SATA is much lower but still enough for 8 of the fans. Either one of the splitters you got will work fine.

You can connect the PWM leads from the splitters to any of the fan headers on the motherboard and set the speed manually in BIOS or with Asus software.

If you want to do custom fan curves you should get a temp sensor in your loop. You may need to use the chassis fan headers specifically if you do that because the cpu fan headers might only use cpu temp as the source for curves (check the manual or BIOS before doing final wiring).

I don't think a stand alone fan controller is necessary with the motherboard you have, it already has a temp sensor input and plenty of fan headers to connect your splitters.

I've seen some "high amp" fan headers listed as supporting up to 3A but those are more useful for pumps that have 4pin connectors only with no separate power, not for connecting dozens of fans with splitters.
So, I'm seeing the config like this now:
Each splitter with 4x Fans, powered by the Molex, attached directly to my board on each of the CHA-FAN headers. The power draw from the 4-way splitter with 4 fans shouldn't hurt the board headers since they are connected to a Molex plug, right?
The dual D5 pump config should be powered by the W_PUMP header, right? Or is 2x D5 Pumps to much for that header?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Considering you're already going for a baller watercooling setup, you might as well get a baller fan/pump control setup.
The Aquaero 6, the best controller hands down, combine it with 2 aquabus D5 pumps, a flow and temp sensor.
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=62&XTCsid=u6ate00leqigkbum3qe7okhl9sdhoagb
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=7&XTCsid=u6ate00leqigkbum3qe7okhl9sdhoagb
I am/was still considering going with an Aquaero, probably the 6XT, just not sure I want to have it on the front of my case. But I know I could potentially fit it somewhere else on the build. Still, I think I want to try to find a solution without going that route, but it is absolutely still on the table.
 

·
Overclock Failed...
Joined
·
13,565 Posts
This is how PWM speed controlled fans vs 2 or 3 wire voltage controlled fans are speed controlled:



so, if multiple fans are sending and rceiving PWM signals, the motherboard and the PWM controllers get "confused".
Usually one or two extra fans on a PWM fan header will work, but more is iffy at best. It depends on the design of the PWM controllers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any other ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

You can't plug 16 fans into a motherboard - It will burn out the fan header.
And you can't send 16 PWM control signals to a motherboard - I will just get confused.

There are special PWM "splitters" that use one motherboard PWN control circuit to control multiple fans. Swiftech has one that will do 8 fans.



1.) Watercooling doesn't reduce the amount of heat going into a room.
2.) you could try pulling 5 volts from a 12 volt molex connector. That's what I do with my three Delta FFB1212EHE fans.Then I jJust plug them into a full 12 volts when I need the extra cooling

Thanks for this, it really helped my with my build.
thumb.gif
 

·
Broken
Joined
·
427 Posts
use one controller for each radiator,

if you split the fans up you will get odd sounds as there not running In synch

keep the 140's and the 120's on separate channels as they have different sound curves and different pwm values

pwm fans require a constant voltage and most are designed to run at 12 volts.

molex type pwm extenders (spliters) tend to be beefier and are able to run pumps as well as fans.

the sata ones will handle 8 x 120's no problems not sure if they will run into drama's with the 140's

the basic 4 way or 8 way extender units can normally be daisy chained (slot 4 or 8 output to the input of the next controller) this gives you the option to have more fans connected

normally it is the highest power draw item connected to slot 1 on the extender (but check manual that comes with it in case yours is different)

I would add in a temp sensor if your mobo has the slot for it and set up the pumps to run off a single pwm channel as well (again they normally need a fixed voltage supply)

since your going to use 2 rads, 2 res and 2 pumps why not make it simpler and have two loops rather than connecting it all into a single loop, use the larger rad for the gfx cards and in theory your not sharing the excess heat they generate with the cpu which should make all of it run slightly cooler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotm View Post

use one controller for each radiator,

if you split the fans up you will get odd sounds as there not running In synch

keep the 140's and the 120's on separate channels as they have different sound curves and different pwm values

pwm fans require a constant voltage and most are designed to run at 12 volts.

molex type pwm extenders (spliters) tend to be beefier and are able to run pumps as well as fans.

the sata ones will handle 8 x 120's no problems not sure if they will run into drama's with the 140's

the basic 4 way or 8 way extender units can normally be daisy chained (slot 4 or 8 output to the input of the next controller) this gives you the option to have more fans connected

normally it is the highest power draw item connected to slot 1 on the extender (but check manual that comes with it in case yours is different)

I would add in a temp sensor if your mobo has the slot for it and set up the pumps to run off a single pwm channel as well (again they normally need a fixed voltage supply)

since your going to use 2 rads, 2 res and 2 pumps why not make it simpler and have two loops rather than connecting it all into a single loop, use the larger rad for the gfx cards and in theory your not sharing the excess heat they generate with the cpu which should make all of it run slightly cooler
When you say use one "controller" for each radiator, do you mean the PWM Splitters? I have both the E-K (Gelid) 4-way SATA splitters and also the Swiftech 8-way Molex splitters.
Running a dual loop is possible, but I bought the EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM setup, which has both pumps pushing through the same port, sorta facing each other. So I could do it, if I were to buy the single pump tops, but I've spent quite a bit so far, trying to not spend any more, if at all possible.
 

·
Broken
Joined
·
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evener07 View Post

When you say use one "controller" for each radiator, do you mean the PWM Splitters? I have both the E-K (Gelid) 4-way SATA splitters and also the Swiftech 8-way Molex splitters.
Running a dual loop is possible, but I bought the EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM setup, which has both pumps pushing through the same port, sorta facing each other. So I could do it, if I were to buy the single pump tops, but I've spent quite a bit so far, trying to not spend any more, if at all possible.
well if it was separate loops then the cpu would link to a radiator and a reservoir and the gpu's would link to a radiator and the reservoir each with its own pump, but I guess you could do the same thing with the pumps pushing liquid through a y splitter to each side of the loop and still run them as parallel cooling ...

the only thing with running cpu and gpu on a series loop is the heat moves from one to the other and both run warmer

to be honest the difference is likely to be around 1>2 degrees on the gpu temps (so long as the cold side hits the cpu first) if you loop it the other way it might be a bigger impact I guess it will depend on the flow rate more than anything else.

by controller what I meant was one control signal so you would have for instance the motherpbard or aquero pwm header connected ot the 8 way splitter with all fans on a single rad connected to that,

if you want them to run in tandem you would first use a fan splitter lead (the things most folks have on the motherboard to run two fans off) and a second 8 way splitter running off the one channel as a slave to the first that way all 16 fans will do the exact same thing, this leaves you the option of running a 4 way splitter for the pumps off the secondary pwm header (in either the mobo cpu_opt (where the fans are connected to the cpu_fan and its setup as pwm mode) or the aquero secondary pwm channel) this lets you control them to a degree as well, although honestly I wouldn't bother doing that with the pumps just connect them to a straight sata or molex 12v power and have them run at full speed, of course if there noisy then you would need the pwm control.... don't use voltage controllers on pwm things its bad for them.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I now have the case, and I broke down and bought an Aquaero 6XT, but to be honest I am still a little to confused as to how I should hook up all the fans. Not really sure which advise to follow. Unfortunately I probably need someone to explain it to me like I'm a child (even though I am 43!)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

Have you figured all of this out? You got some good info and some bad info and some worse than bad info. Just wondering how you're doing.
I now have the case, and I broke down and bought an Aquaero 6XT, but to be honest I am still a little to confused as to how I should hook up all the fans. Not really sure which advise to follow. Unfortunately I probably need someone to explain it to me like I'm a child (even though I am 43!)!
 

·
professional curmudgeon
Joined
·
10,556 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

have taken a shot by cruising this thread:

OCN Aquaero Owners Club
Awesome! Thanks, but gonna take me a couple minutes to read through 1100 pages!! LOL..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evener07 View Post

I now have the case, and I broke down and bought an Aquaero 6XT, but to be honest I am still a little to confused as to how I should hook up all the fans. Not really sure which advise to follow. Unfortunately I probably need someone to explain it to me like I'm a child (even though I am 43!)!
to hook up a bunch fans, the SPLITTY9 hubs that AC sells are awesome. I have an AQ6 and 3 SPLITTY9's powering 25 fans. The Aquaero can easily power tons of fans.

https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3420
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top