Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I'm planning on getting in the next week. I'm just looking for opinions before I purchase and build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Other: QNIX2710 ($281.90)
Other: NZXT H230 ($82.86)
Other: 840 Evo 250GB ($189.99)
Total: $1627.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 23:46 EDT-0400)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Could drop your cpu cooler to a Hyper 212 evo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099), it'll give pretty much the same cooling.

With that saved money could upgrade to a 7970 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008).
This'll put you a little bit more, but if you want to drop price just stick with the 760 and just get the 212 evo.

Also is there any reason your getting a mirco atx motherboard? Because you may want to get an ATX incase you want to expand later on.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Looks pretty good to me, although I haven't heard a lot about that particular motherboard. I might consider Windows 7 over 8, that might be personal preference however. The only other thing you might consider is getting a 750w+ PSU in case you ever want to CFX/SLI in the future.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nice choice on case. The Arc Mini and Arc Mini R2 are great Fractal Design cases. Personally, I would get a Case Labs S3 or S5, but those are like 4x the price, haha.

The Corsair 350D and Bitfenix Prodigy are two other great cases for a small build. (Since your using a Micro-ATX)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Looks like a very solid build! I have the same keyboard and I think it's a great budget mechanical. It looks very understated but cool. It is loud though
wink.gif
Which switches? I have the blacks, first mechanical keyboard here so can't compare but you need to exert quite a bit of force to bottom them out.

Cooler is excellent choice, yes you could switch to the cheaper evo 212 but the noctua can practically run passive. I have it with a 120mm PWM fan on it and I run it between 300 rpm in idle(=inaudible) to 800 rpm under load(=still inaudible) while folding 24/7 on 3770k and temps are 75-80, this in a mITX case, node 304, with a gtx 680 @ 1215 mhz twin frozer also folding 24/7 blowing hot air in the case like a mf.

Be sure to check clearance with the ram heatsinks and the noctua if you are planning on using a front fan on the noctua(mine is in the middle slot).

The GPU, I would check out the MSI TF 760 as it has a better cooler and will run quiter with same temps, it is also more silent in idle. If you really want the idle noise master than you need the asus 760. It is a shorter design though and the standard fan profile is quite aggressive under load but that doesn't matter beause you fix that in a second with precision x or afterburner costum fan profile.

Nice going with the PLS korean 1440p monitors, amazing price! Hopefully you'll get a good panel
wink.gif

The case looks quite clean too almost fractal level understated. There are new bitfenix m-atx cases coming, prodigy M(same case externally as prodigy) but also quite some other nice designs like collosus M and phenom M http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/06/08/bitfenix-unveils-array-of-new-mini-itx-matx/1 .
Ofcourse there is the corsair 350D but I don't like it personally. It's playing it too safe
tongue.gif
Check it out for yourself of course.
A bit balder is the silverstone FT-03. Quite expensive but original design.

Have fun with your build!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarPriest View Post

The switches in the keyboard are MX Blacks. Also, thanks for the suggestions. The Bitfenix Colosus M looks sick.
I think so too
wink.gif
don't know when it will come
frown.gif
hopefully soon.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Quote:

Just looked at amazon, they're actually BLUES!
biggrin.gif
You talking bout the keyboard? Nice, I would love to try those clicky sounding buttons
tongue.gif
Wanne trade? And when are you going to order and build?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Quote:

If everything works out right, order Friday...build next week.
Cool. will you post some pics of the build process and finished result? And what case did you decide on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts