Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The 4chan mob mentality of prosecuting the CMs who have no part in this make both sides wrong. I hope this goes through unchanged so the crybabies don't get their way. Don't like a product or service? Dont use it. Freedom of choice ftw.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretz View Post
The 4chan mob mentality of prosecuting the CMs who have no part in this make both sides wrong. I hope this goes through unchanged so the crybabies don't get their way. Don't like a product or service? Dont use it. Freedom of choice ftw.
It's not a matter of QQing, it's a matter of privacy violations. You put your real name up on the internet and any jackass with internet access can find out who you are, where you live, who you work for, your phone number, all sorts of stuff. Even steal your identity.

I don't play WoW, I don't care either way about the WoW forums, B.net, or any other Blizzard forum, but I don't like the precedent it's setting either.

By the way, I'd feel the same way if OCN tried this stunt too.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

It's not a matter of QQing, it's a matter of privacy violations. You put your real name up on the internet and any jackass with internet access can find out who you are, where you live, who you work for, your phone number, all sorts of stuff. Even steal your identity.

I don't play WoW, I don't care either way about the WoW forums, B.net, or any other Blizzard forum, but I don't like the precedent it's setting either.

By the way, I'd feel the same way if OCN tried this stunt too.

Then DONT POST ON BLIZZARDS FORUMS! I could see if posting was mandatory and vital to the game, but it isn't. You are given the option to consent to it, and part of their rules now is your name will be displayed. Don't like it? Don't post.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that makes it okay to drastically change a service you (and tens of thousands of others) used regularly before. Protesting is fine. Please don't complain about the people who are complaining.

Obviously we're not going to freaking use the forums if we don't like it.

1150 diggs now

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretz
View Post

Then DONT POST ON BLIZZARDS FORUMS! I could see if posting was mandatory and vital to the game, but it isn't. You are given the option to consent to it, and part of their rules now is your name will be displayed. Don't like it? Don't post.

Well excuse us for having a reasonable expectation of privacy there Mr Dictator.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coma
View Post

And that makes it okay to drastically change a service you (and tens of thousands of others) used regularly before. Protesting is fine. Please don't complain about the people who are complaining.

Obviously we're not going to freaking use the forums if we don't like it.

1150 diggs now

Read the ToS/EULA. They have the right to change the service without notice at any time. It may not be okay, but they do certainly have the right.

I also have the right to complain about spoiled kids who think they are entitled to things they aren't. When you buy WoW or Starcraft you are not buying the ability to post on the forums. You are buying those particular games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

Well excuse us for having a reasonable expectation of privacy there Mr Dictator.

Every site and service has a different policy on privacy. I suggest you read through these and decide which you feel are reasonable, because Im sure there is a small group of people who feel that posting with your real name is.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Making decisions for a small percentage of your user base is usually a bad idea.

This is how the company realizes they have done this. Although I can't imagine why they thought that 99% of people would be against this.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretz View Post
Every site and service has a different policy on privacy. I suggest you read through these and decide which you feel are reasonable, because Im sure there is a small group of people who feel that posting with your real name is.

So I guess it's right for them to require your soul be sacrificed to Beelzebub to post if they put it in their policies, right?

Just because they can, and because it's in their ToS/Privacy policies, doesn't mean it's right or they should. Requiring first and last name is a blatant privacy issue, and if you're too dumb to realize why that's wrong you deserve to get your identity stolen.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
So I guess it's right for them to require your soul be sacrificed to Beelzebub to post if they put it in their policies, right?

Just because they can, and because it's in their ToS/Privacy policies, doesn't mean it's right or they should. Requiring first and last name is a blatant privacy issue, and if you're too dumb to realize why that's wrong you deserve to get your identity stolen.
You're too dumb to realize they are not putting a gun to your head forcing you to post your personal info on their forums. If they had a clause in their ToS stating they get to put a harness on your back and ride you like a horse once a month and you click the I AGREE button, guess what?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You're too dumb to realize they are not putting a gun to your head forcing you to post your personal info on their forums. If they had a clause in their ToS stating they get to put a harness on your back and ride you like a horse once a month and you click the I AGREE button, guess what?

HAIL ZE FUHRER!

No but really, just because it is in the ToS doesn't mean it is right or that you actually agree with it. I use to use the wow forums all the time, now I won't use it at all. It violates my right to privacy as a Canadian and I will stand by my rights. Sure its a choice but according to the law I shouldn't have to give up any of my rights to do anything.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
im going to point out, that just because you are Canadian dosent mean anything, blizzard actually has licenses setup for canada aswel, they are in essence identical to the american ones with Canadian law terminology, if it says you give your soul to play, guess what the moment u said i agree you sold your soul

also, if you dont believe me, think about how many offices they have in Canada, its a fairly large number, you honestly dont think they would prepare for it? when it would cost them next to no money as they already have Canadian lawyers

this from a canadian

·
Tinkers With Rigs
1,154 Posts
OOOOO goodie! A fun privacy flame war! Sub'd

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayday
View Post

HAIL ZE FUHRER!

No but really, just because it is in the ToS doesn't mean it is right or that you actually agree with it. I use to use the wow forums all the time, now I won't use it at all. It violates my right to privacy as a Canadian and I will stand by my rights. Sure its a choice but according to the law I shouldn't have to give up any of my rights to do anything.

The forums are not entitled to you though, they are an added bonus. Im not arguing right and wrong now-im arguing what Blizzard can and can't do. Blizzard CAN change their ToS to make it so forums require your real name is displayed, as long as you consent to it. The only way it could violate your privacy is if no matter where you posted on the internet, without your consent, your personal info followed every post you made. If you didn't have the choice to NOT post on the forums, or if any of the other forums such as this, mmo-champion, wowhead, thottbot, tankspot, or the other million boards I failed to mention didn't exist, then there would be reason for such an uproar. Now its just to the point where people are whining over something that is so trivial when the solution is so simple: go someplace else. I definitely plan to.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You my friend are in NO position to be calling people dumb.

We aren't saying that it is mandatory for us to use the forums, or various aspects of the game that now have this Real ID implementation, however we are saying that parts of the game, and the service that we paid for and previously enjoyed, are now being taken away from us.

Whether it is the right of the company to implement this new idea or not is not what is up for debate. However, what we are complaining about is that we do not like it, sure they have every right in the world to make this change, that doesn't mean we have to like it.

Regardless, i'm letting my 3 subscriptions run out this month... i may come back for cata, not sure yet.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quote:

The problem is, although it might in theory, in practise the pro's won't outweigh the cons. I believe the main point was stopping trolls, but this new regulation will make their forums as good as empty, by the looks of it. I used to play WoW, and I used the forums a lot, but this would've made me stop. The clear problem is of course the privacy issue with having your full name posted on the internet.

A quick Google on most people will get you their Facebook or MySpace page, maybe even more. This will give you their address, friends, insight in their private life, and e-mail address and phone number maybe.

Keep in mind though, the Blizzard TOS looks like it's been written by a 15 year old. It's comprehensible, but some parts are completely unclear on what they mean.

Also, what happens with old posts? Will everything be deleted, will the old names stay there, or will the new (real) names take their place?

Keep in mind, Blizzard CAN legally do this. It is just very, very stupid.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerand
View Post

You my friend are in NO position to be calling people dumb.

We aren't saying that it is mandatory for us to use the forums, or various aspects of the game that now have this Real ID implementation, however we are saying that parts of the game, and the service that we paid for and previously enjoyed, are now being taken away from us.

Whether it is the right of the company to implement this new idea or not is not what is up for debate. However, what we are complaining about is that we do not like it, sure they have every right in the world to make this change, that doesn't mean we have to like it.

Regardless, i'm letting my 3 subscriptions run out this month... i may come back for cata, not sure yet.

Since when are the forums part of the game? The forums are a separate entity than World of Warcraft, the PC game that is 3 expansions and takes up 15+ gigabytes on your hard drive. I have been playing WoW for 5 years and have posted on the forums probably 3 times. Until they make it so your in game character has your real life name floating above his head, shut the hell up with your selfish crying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristian
View Post

The problem is, although it might in theory, in practise the pro's won't outweigh the cons. I believe the main point was stopping trolls, but this new regulation will make their forums as good as empty, by the looks of it. I used to play WoW, and I used the forums a lot, but this would've made me stop. The clear problem is of course the privacy issue with having your full name posted on the internet.

A quick Google on most people will get you their Facebook or MySpace page, maybe even more. This will give you their address, friends, insight in their private life, and e-mail address and phone number maybe.

Keep in mind though, the Blizzard TOS looks like it's been written by a 15 year old. It's comprehensible, but some parts are completely unclear on what they mean.

Also, what happens with old posts? Will everything be deleted, will the old names stay there, or will the new (real) names take their place?

Keep in mind, Blizzard CAN legally do this. It is just very, very stupid.

Blizzard has stated this will not be retroactive. They will most likely seal off the current forums and bring up a completely new system. Yes, its a privacy issue with having your name out there each time you post, but its up to the consumer to make the decision if they want to take this risk. Freedom of choice ftw.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Since when are the forums part of the game? The forums are a separate entity than World of Warcraft, the PC game that is 3 expansions and takes up 15+ gigabytes on your hard drive. I have been playing WoW for 5 years and have posted on the forums probably 3 times. Until they make it so your in game character has your real life name floating above his head, shut the hell up with your selfish crying.

Please, this is not about the legality about it. Not a single smart person is arguing if they CAN do it, because they can. People are saying they SHOULDN'T. The fact that you don't use the forums, doesn't mean others don't.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Blizzard has stated this will not be retroactive. They will most likely seal off the current forums and bring up a completely new system. Yes, its a privacy issue with having your name out there each time you post, but its up to the consumer to make the decision if they want to take this risk. Freedom of choice ftw.

The forums are part of my paid service.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerand
View Post

The forums are part of my paid service.

Actually, this is wrong. For example, if the game servers are offline for a long period of time, you'll get compensation because you can't access the service you are paying for, but this doesn't happen with the forums. The forums (which is one of the only things said semi-clearly in the TOS) are a separate entity which you are allowed to use as an extra.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts