Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason i can run my RAM at 1600MHZ but i cant run it on STOCK timings on my rig. Why is that? Is it the board CPU or CPU-NB?

Which do i need to PC/OV to make it work at stock clocks?

Also is there any RAM software that tells you more detail of the RAM like currently how much voltage it is getting ETC ETC?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Note that EPP only works with paired sticks, it's only designed for 2 sticks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP)

Memory generally comes with conservative timing recommendations in the SPD ROM, to ensure basic functionality on all systems. Enthusiasts often spend considerable time manually adjusting the memory timings for higher speed.

Enhanced Performance Profiles is an extension of SPD, developed by NVIDIA and Corsair, which includes additional information for higher-performance operation of DDR2 SDRAM, including supply voltages and command timing information not included in the JEDEC SPD spec. The EPP information is stored in the same EEPROM, but in bytes 99-127 which are unused by standard DDR2 SPD.[11]
EPP SPD ROM usage Bytes Size Full profiles Abbreviated profiles
99-103 5 EPP header
104-109 6 Profile FP1 Profile AP1
110-115 6 Profile AP2
116-121 6 Profile FP2 Profile AP3
122-127 6 Profile AP4

The parameters are particularly designed to fit the memory controller on the nForce 5, nForce 6 and nForce 7 chipsets. NVIDIA encourages support for EPP in the BIOS for its high-end motherboard chipsets. This is intended to provide "one-click overclocking" to get better performance with minimal effort.

NVIDIA's name for EPP memory that has been qualified for performance and stability is "SLI-ready memory".[12] The term "SLI-ready-memory" has caused some confusion, as it has nothing to do with SLI video. One can use EPP/SLI memory with a single video card (even a non-NVIDIA card), and one can run a multi-card SLI video setup without EPP/SLI memory.

An extended version, EPP 2.0, supports DDR3 memory as well.[13]
[edit] Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

A similar, Intel-developed JEDEC SPD extension for DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs. This uses bytes 176-255, which are unallocated by JEDEC, to encode higher-performance memory timings.[14]
XMP SPD ROM usage[15] Bytes Size Use
176-184 10 XMP header
185-219 33 XMP profile 1 ("enthusiast" settings)
220-254 36 XMP profile 2 ("extreme" settings)

The header contains the following data. Most importantly, it contains a "medium timebase" value MTB, as a rational number of nanoseconds (common values are 1/8, 1/12 and 1/16 ns). Many other later timing values are expressed as an integer number of MTB units.

Also included in the header is the number of DIMMS per memory channel that the profile is designed to support; including more DIMMS may not work well.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Read my other post. It will give you instructions. You have to set your memory frequency, volts and timing to AUTO too.
Mushkin calls it XMP like Corsair. But it's EPP in BIOS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts