Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this motherboard and want to get 16GB of RAM for it. That being said, there's a limit of 8GB on these boards. However, I know that 790i boards supported "only" 8GB of RAM but were quite capable of running 16GB a lot of the time.

Has anyone run 16GB of RAM in an x48 board, or should I just not bother?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I have read of (key word) someone on another forum who had an X48, the Rampage Extreme (DDR3 Rampage Formula), and they later upgraded to Sandy Bridge. They ended up having an issue with it, and went back to the old system temporarily. They claim it worked with 10GB RAM (I presume this was 2x 4GB and 1x 2GB?).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10GB, eh? I just don't want to have spent a decent chunk of money on RAM to have it not work on me. I have 8 already, but I could use a few more to run my VM's and such.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If it doesn't work, it could always be the perfect excuse to upgrade the motherboard and CPU? Your stuff has a decent resale value so you could probably get by spending little to do so.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
try it

ram is damn cheap, if it doesn't work, you will have 4 dimms, so yo uwill be ready for the next system you buy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts