Overclock.net banner

1900xtx Bottleneck?

1566 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Ste
Would an 1900xtx be bottlenecked with my 3.6Ghz prescott at the high resolutions I play at? My native res is 1600x1200 and I enjoy playing at that if possible. I was planning on waiting till the next round of cards but might pick one of these up (probably a 1900xt and OC to XTX) if the next gen's would not be out for a long long while.
  • Rep+
Reactions: Marshall82
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killnine

Would an 1900xtx be bottlenecked with my 3.6Ghz prescott at the high resolutions I play at? My native res is 1600x1200 and I enjoy playing at that if possible. I was planning on waiting till the next round of cards but might pick one of these up (probably a 1900xt and OC to XTX) if the next gen's would not be out for a long long while.

I presume we're talking about games rather than benchmarks here? If so, no the GFX would be the bottleneck at these resolutions and not the CPU. That setup should get excellent performance.

· Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice-Cold

a modded card will never have the full potential of the card... I saw it with an x800 GTO² flashed to a x850 XT PE and it had a 300 - 400 point difference with the same hardware. IS this true ?

The XT and the XTX are different in other ways apart from clock speed. The XTX can overlock quite a bit higher than the XT, in general, at lower voltages.

· Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall82

Where did you read that, most reviews I read never mentioned anything like that. And some said the opposite.

I've not really read it anywhere. Just comparing the overclocking results of the cards on different forums and to my own overclock as well. The XTX cards seem to be able to reach higher clock speeds at lower voltages.
It makes sense though, the XTX would most likely have the best GPUs and the XTs have the speed binned ones that didn't make the XTX version.

· Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

They also use different memory.

Kind of true.
The XTX has a guaranteed 1.1ns ram whereas the XT is guaranteed 1.2ns. However, the first batch of XTs all seem to have come with 1.1ns. As SCCR pointed out though, no-one knows if this will continue. I suspect later batches will revert back to 1.2ns, as originally planned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.