Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a 1950x system with the ability to get all 16 cores to 3.5-3.8Ghz (ish). I use the system for Chess and some gaming and have put together the following list. Please critique the parts chosen, and/or recommend better options. Ideally id still stay under 3000$ but given a good reason I would be willing to go higher.

Thanks in advance.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zcybbj
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zcybbj/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($999.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard ($333.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB Video Card ($624.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Core X5 ATX Desktop Case ($145.15 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($272.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2846.47

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Great motherboard. Don't change it.

I would recommended you change the RAM. Gskill flare x at 3200 C14 will be Samsung B Die. 3200 is also the sweet spot as you should be able to hit 3200 without too much tweaking. The corsair could be E Die or maybe even Hynix (though at 3600 probably not). At 3333 and 3466 I went through three Corsair kits to get what I wanted.

The cooler can probably handle 3.5. 3.8 is going to be difficult on air if you're going to load it for hours on end (IDK how long chess solving runs). If you can swing one of the swiftech h220x kits you can run cooler and quieter.

Otherwise it looks like a solid build.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,424 Posts
1200 watt is way overkill and you can get by with less wattage then that
A suggestion would be to take a look at the Seasonic Prime series instead as you get a longer warranty (12 years)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get a gtx 1080ti for those money , radeon 64 aint worth it plus it a heater and consumes ridiculous amount of power.

If you like cube i think the corsair 540 or the 740 are better.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the look of the corsair cases, but I'm done with sideways motherboards. Eventually those video cards start sagging and look sad, so that's why I went with the Thermaltake X series, those horizontally orient the motherboard.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I own 2 of these Thermal Take X cube cases now and I can certainly say that if you have an overtemp problem it is not the case causing it.

These things have a TON of airflow and room for 11 more fans. I even have a dual Xeon 2699 (air cooled) in the X9 cube case, no issues at all.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatarra09 View Post

Well I own 2 of these Thermal Take X cube cases now and I can certainly say that if you have an overtemp problem it is not the case causing it.

These things have a TON of airflow and room for 11 more fans. I even have a dual Xeon 2699 (air cooled) in the X9 cube case, no issues at all.
Thats what i was thinking,The case is pretty much all filtered mesh and has a lot of fan openings in it.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Building for gaming, eh?

1700 or 1700X. Strong cooling so you can get a good overclock.

However, for pure gaming builds Intel is still faster. Zen shines for two things: budget and practically anything other than gaming (including emulators like Dolphin). Gaming is the one area where Intel consistently shines. However, that's not to say Zen is bad for gaming. ThreadRipper, though, won't give you enough of an increase over R7 to justify the extra cost. Yes, it can beat the 1800X a bit in some games but it still gets beaten by Intel. If you have that kind of money you should really go Intel.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My next gaming rig is going to be a threadripper,It fits my needs with enough pci express lanes and vs intel in price I'd get maybe a 6 core intel for the price of the low end threadripper.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
How can a gaming setup need that many lanes?

·
Registered
541 Posts
3 way crossfire or 4 way sli with 3 m.2 drives adds up fast,3 gpus at 16x is 48 and each m.2 is 4 lanes its self.I know the whole 16x vs 8x is close enough but there is a small difference.The ryzen 7 has 24 lanes the high end end i7s are 28 lanes,And the i9s are 44 lanes while the 1900x has 64 lanes and priced like a high end i7.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts