Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hello to everyone since its my first post on the forum although i ve been reading the forum for a long time now.

I am planning to build a workstation build for my new office since i recently graduated from college(architecture) and i would like to get some advice on the parts that i am picking, especially from people that have already some experience with the threadripper platform. The main purpose of this build is 3d rendering+ CAD since i am starting my archviz career.

The budget is around 5000€ and the parts are :

CPU: Threadripper 1950x
GPU: Msi 1080ti Gaming X + MSI 1070ti Gaming
PSU: EVGA 1600 P2 ( i am planing on getting 4 GPUs installed)
Case: HexGear R80
Storange: Samsung M.2 960 Pro 500GB+ 2x WD RED 4TB (in raid config.)
Cooling: Full custom Watercooling with 2 loops(1 for CPU and 1 for GPUs)

and now on the S.O.S. parts (plz help i m lost xD)

Motherboard: I have no idea what to buy since every mobo has some issues (budget is not a problem)
RAM: i have no clue what to buy although i have checked every QVL i need minimum 64G of ram at 4 modules so i can go 128G in the near future, preferably 3200Mhz +

I am completely lost as far as motherboards and ram goes on TR4 platform. I ve read tons of reviews(newegg,Amazon, etc) and i have seen people not being able to boot at all due to ram or any other possible reason. Also i have seen tons of people complaining not being able to OC their ram above 3000mhz and i have no idea what to buy at the moment .

I would like to get some advice from people that have experience in the x399 platform and what mobo and ram do you suggest.

Finally aesthetics is a plus cause my pc will be visible to customers so i was leaning towards Corsair Dominator Platinum (3333Mhz) Ram and Asus Rampage Extreme on motherboard but i ve read to much bad reviews to start building my pc.

Thanks a lot for your time

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey!
I have built a 4x 1080ti. 1950x, Asus zenith board pc with 1300 watt, you will probably need similar for 2xGPU. The gpus should be the same for SLI.
I used the m.2 pro as primary OS and everything else drive.
For case you should always go for airflow over looks.
Custom loops are a pain, look good, but you will never find a person who did not regret building one at some point, in a big way. The AIO kits are pretty good these days, but you do what you want.

For memory I just written a PSA type post about threadripper ram. Essentially, currently this board is geared towards having single rank ram supported ( I explain that over here. You won't know what rank ram yours is until you pop it in. Don't worry if you get the dual rank ram, it is actually better to have dual rank ram, but you need to go through a simple process of setting it up in bios.

I never had problems with corsair, but currently GSKILL has single rank ram "Designed specifically for threadripper"

*NEWSFLASH*
All of these "high speed" DDR4 rams are 2 year old server ram with heat spreaders slapped on them with 300% mark up.
Things like
*"super low latency"
*high overclock
*now in RGB
*AMD optimized etc

are all gimmicks that get you to spend your money based on emotion rather than reason. And btw, it works.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Why not go with Intel if budget isn't problem? There wouldn't be that much RAM issues.
What do you think about RGB lightning?
If you would like to have it or have some of it, then I would recommend G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng View Post

*NEWSFLASH*
All of these "high speed" DDR4 rams are 2 year old server ram with heat spreaders slapped on them with 300% mark up.
Things like
*"super low latency"
*high overclock
*now in RGB
*AMD optimized etc

are all gimmicks that get you to spend your money based on emotion rather than reason. And btw, it works.
smile.gif
proof.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts
After my experience with the asus crosshair vi and ryzen 7, for my threadripper build I went with the asrock tachi.

My threadripper system is three days old.

it will boot with memory at 3600 but the fails hci memory testing, memory is stable at 3466 but takes a lot of time and testing to get it stable at the speed, work flawlessly at 3333 and 3200 without making any effort.

I will never buy an ASUS motherboard again.

Memory I have is GSKILL F4-3600C17D-32GTZKW

·
Registered
249 Posts
32 threads at $700 last weekend, which almost 90% of time runs at 4 ghz? That will not be beat at that price for a looooooong time.
All of the RAM "problems" are due to lack of information on the topic

I believe that 100% of ram not running at advertised speed are due to their ram being dual rank and ASUS has not introduced either the latest AGESA or simply chooses not include dual rank ram support.
By the way, dual rank ram running at the same speed as single rank can be up to 50% faster in theory per pipe.
This is why servers use high rank (quad, even 8x rank) ram. Do you know how wide the margin then would be between AMD and Intel? At 40% the price? At 40% the power draw? With 64 lanes?

Intel is losing consumer market share, fast. Don't get me wrong, I too have an i7, it is excellent for single threaded (ie games and overclock.net). However, for work and doing things that make me money? Forget it.

How did Intel so quickly fall out of favor? nobody ever imagined that AMD would return to the consumer market with any sort of force, even after Ryzen launch, and people figured that AMD will "just" focus on server stuff ( you know like the whole new cloud computing craze, such as AWS).

However, when they let the consumer buy their 32 core CPU (albeit 50% downbinned) but capable running 4ghz for $700 with a simple platform with 64 lanes with their VEGA cards, intel went [email protected], thats not supposed to happen. We should be so lucky that there was some issues with EPYC dies which just so happened to make them perfectly capable desktop processors. This was not the initial plan, and if it was, keeping it secret, was the greatest move so far, and the AMD leadership deserves recognition for that. If AMD said, hey we are going to release this Threadripper thing q4 or whatever, Intel would released some sorf of their server chip and an architecture which they modified. Instead, they got caught behind... in a big way.

Intel now has a choice of bowing out of the consumer market, lick its wounds and work on some sort of cpu/gpu integrated system without the classic PCI constraint, or potentially bow out until the new graph processors are mainstream, or go just keep making low threaded solutions, such as the i7s and make them have smaller dies, and clock faster. Truth be told, it is becoming increasingly difficult even to code games that are single-threaded. And also, when you have a high threadcount such as 32, you could potentially even eliminate the need for gpu for some applications.

: |

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaybreaktoday View Post

After my experience with the asus crosshair vi and ryzen 7, for my threadripper build I went with the asrock tachi.

My threadripper system is three days old.

it will boot with memory at 3600 but the fails hci memory testing, memory is stable at 3466 but takes a lot of time and testing to get it stable at the speed, work flawlessly at 3333 and 3200 without making any effort.

I will never buy an ASUS motherboard again.

Memory I have is GSKILL F4-3600C17D-32GTZKW
Yeah, it is responses like these that contribute to the problem.
You need to go run the Thaiphoon software I have linked in the post in my sig.

Most important thing for Ryzen is simply what RANK your @%@#^ memory sticks are .

Let that sink in. All this other *****, B die, etc, matter d!ck all. Even if you have single rank (paramount to do so if you have double rank) you still need to manually input all of the ram timings because I honestly dont know what ASUS is waiting for with its implementation.

I highly suspect that with dual rank memory that the AMD chips just decimate the Intel stuff. In a huge way

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, it is responses like these that contribute to the problem.
You need to go run the Thaiphoon software I have linked in the post in my sig.

Most important thing for Ryzen is simply what RANK your @%@#^ memory sticks are .

Let that sink in. All this other *****, B die, etc, matter d!ck all. Even if you have single rank (paramount to do so if you have double rank) you still need to manually input all of the ram timings because I honestly dont know what ASUS is waiting for with its implementation.

I highly suspect that with dual rank memory that the AMD chips just decimate the Intel stuff. In a huge way
In the UK the asus extreme is £550 = $741, I am not spending that can kind of money hopping ASUS will fix their issues.. I need to use my system, I did not buy 16 cores 32 threads just to stick 8 stick of single rank ram in it.. I need 128GB of RAM...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello i have recently built a Thread ripper. Mine is built on the Asrock x399 Tachi MB.
I have 32gigs of 3200 memory and 2 1080ti's, 960 pro with a 1920x chip

The Asrock mb been a joy to work with.

Here are a few of my observations

1. The threadripper platform and 128 gigs of memory can be a real crap shot. If u do
some searches u will find a lot of folks that have had a issue getting it to work. Seems that
it dependent on getting a good chip. As all 8 slots being filled puts a lot of stress on the
memory controller. Most have no trouble with 32 gigs and 64. 128 and it gets real dicey.

2. Its very picky on memory if u want to run 3200mz. I went with the Gkill Flare x stuff. Works
great and i had zero trouble out of my 14 cas memory.

3. Heat.. Yea u will need a beast of a cooling system if u plan to OC it and run it at max core count.
That is the only draw back i have found with the platform.Getting a good TIM layer seems to be really
important. U can't go wrong with the XSPC block. It seems to be one of the better reformers.

4. Foxcon sockets can be a pain to get the 3 screws started and in. Mine wasn't to bad and i had to use way
more force then i was comfortable with. I also don't believe my torque wrench was set correctly. Took a lot of
twisting force to get it to click.

5. Asrock been doing a great job on bios updates. The lastest which i am using is 2.0 was released in the last week or so.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkwood View Post

Hello i have recently built a Thread ripper. Mine is built on the Asrock x399 Tachi MB.
I have 32gigs of 3200 memory and 2 1080ti's, 960 pro with a 1920x chip

The Asrock mb been a joy to work with.

Here are a few of my observations

1. The threadripper platform and 128 gigs of memory can be a real crap shot. If u do
some searches u will find a lot of folks that have had a issue getting it to work. Seems that
it dependent on getting a good chip. As all 8 slots being filled puts a lot of stress on the
memory controller. Most have no trouble with 32 gigs and 64. 128 and it gets real dicey.

2. Its very picky on memory if u want to run 3200mz. I went with the Gkill Flare x stuff. Works
great and i had zero trouble out of my 14 cas memory.

3. Heat.. Yea u will need a beast of a cooling system if u plan to OC it and run it at max core count.
That is the only draw back i have found with the platform.Getting a good TIM layer seems to be really
important. U can't go wrong with the XSPC block. It seems to be one of the better reformers.

4. Foxcon sockets can be a pain to get the 3 screws started and in. Mine wasn't to bad and i had to use way
more force then i was comfortable with. I also don't believe my torque wrench was set correctly. Took a lot of
twisting force to get it to click.

5. Asrock been doing a great job on bios updates. The lastest which i am using is 2.0 was released in the last week or so.
For love of god.
Stop saying stuff like luck of draw with the IMC. The IMC on threadripper is identical to what is used in EPYC, capable of addressing teribytes of ram in a lot of ram sticks not just 8.

The problem lies in people misconfiguring bios most probably pumping way too many volts in VSOC with inadequate delays due to some people blindly saying increasing VSOC makes ram more stable. Actually, the opposite can also be true. The reality is people are probably burning up parts of their Ryzen/Threadripper chips as they are using settings for SINGLE rank ram with Dual rank chips, potentially damaging their memory controllers. Only because people who pretend to know what they are saying and get off on "helping" people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot for your time and all those quick responses.

As far as the intel option I don't have a budget but I would rather work my way with threadripper than paying intel overpriced cpus for so few pcie lanes.

Asrock mobo seems like a good choose though I would prefer to go with fatality for the integrated 10gbit port.

Anyone has any experience with gigabyte motherboards and especially the designared one?

I would love to get some 64g(4x16) ram recommendations

Thanks again

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
I had good luck with the ASUS Zenith Extreme on one costumer build, I went for the 64gb Flare X 2933MHZ kit, update the BIOS, set the profile and everything worked as spected. Even passed HCI 1000%. I was a little worried because all the problems i had read on the net but luckly everything went fine

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:

32 threads at $700 last weekend, which almost 90% of time runs at 4 ghz? That will not be beat at that price for a looooooong time.
All of the RAM "problems" are due to lack of information on the topic

I believe that 100% of ram not running at advertised speed are due to their ram being dual rank and ASUS has not introduced either the latest AGESA or simply chooses not include dual rank ram support.
By the way, dual rank ram running at the same speed as single rank can be up to 50% faster in theory per pipe.
This is why servers use high rank (quad, even 8x rank) ram. Do you know how wide the margin then would be between AMD and Intel? At 40% the price? At 40% the power draw? With 64 lanes?

Intel is losing consumer market share, fast. Don't get me wrong, I too have an i7, it is excellent for single threaded (ie games and overclock.net). However, for work and doing things that make me money? Forget it.

How did Intel so quickly fall out of favor? nobody ever imagined that AMD would return to the consumer market with any sort of force, even after Ryzen launch, and people figured that AMD will "just" focus on server stuff ( you know like the whole new cloud computing craze, such as AWS).

However, when they let the consumer buy their 32 core CPU (albeit 50% downbinned) but capable running 4ghz for $700 with a simple platform with 64 lanes with their VEGA cards, intel went [email protected], thats not supposed to happen. We should be so lucky that there was some issues with EPYC dies which just so happened to make them perfectly capable desktop processors. This was not the initial plan, and if it was, keeping it secret, was the greatest move so far, and the AMD leadership deserves recognition for that. If AMD said, hey we are going to release this Threadripper thing q4 or whatever, Intel would released some sorf of their server chip and an architecture which they modified. Instead, they got caught behind... in a big way.

Intel now has a choice of bowing out of the consumer market, lick its wounds and work on some sort of cpu/gpu integrated system without the classic PCI constraint, or potentially bow out until the new graph processors are mainstream, or go just keep making low threaded solutions, such as the i7s and make them have smaller dies, and clock faster. Truth be told, it is becoming increasingly difficult even to code games that are single-threaded. And also, when you have a high threadcount such as 32, you could potentially even eliminate the need for gpu for some applications.

: |
Well you still didn't give any proof of your accusation.

My question about going to Intel didn't have nothing to do with your opinion about prices (which varies by region) or Intel and AMD market shares.

" Truth be told, it is becoming increasingly difficult even to code games that are single-threaded. And also, when you have a high threadcount such as 32, you could potentially even eliminate the need for gpu for some applications. "
To me, those doesn't really make sense. Why would it be difficult to code for single threaded? There might be increased support for multithreading in game making programs but it shouldn't be difficulty.
Maybe some applications, but most likely GPU speed doesn't get replaced by CPU cores.

To OP, is there anything else than maybe 10Gbit LAN port that you would want from motherboard?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post

Well you still didn't give any proof of your accusation.

My question about going to Intel didn't have nothing to do with your opinion about prices (which varies by region) or Intel and AMD market shares.

" Truth be told, it is becoming increasingly difficult even to code games that are single-threaded. And also, when you have a high threadcount such as 32, you could potentially even eliminate the need for gpu for some applications. "
To me, those doesn't really make sense. Why would it be difficult to code for single threaded? There might be increased support for multithreading in game making programs but it shouldn't be difficulty.
Maybe some applications, but most likely GPU speed doesn't get replaced by CPU cores.

To OP, is there anything else than maybe 10Gbit LAN port that you would want from motherboard?
Not something special just to be stable and support at least 3200 4x16g of ram cause i got work that needs to be done soon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and to be honest i havent seen a clear awnser for what is the most stable ram or mobo, just some argument that i dont see the point for it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the almost exact same spot as you, and have not been able to find anything certain about memory either
frown.gif

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jsKBD3
I pm:ed this guy and he told me he used 2x CMR64GX4M4C3200C16 (64GB kits) (note that it doesn't say RGB on the partspicker build thread because it didnt have the right option available, so that's why I messaged to confirm version)

This would be a nice option, it's cheaper than most 128 gb kits out there (for me anyway, as far as buying options go). Accepted wisdom seems to be that 3200+ is almost always samsung b.die which seems to work better with ryzen in general.... but I have seen reports of this being Hynix as well so, gamble :/

https://community.amd.com/thread/220821
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6211&PN=1&title=x399-taichi-wont-boot-up
These guys eventually both got it to work with the following:
G.SKILL Flare X
DDR4 2133 Mhz - 15-15-15-36 1.2V
F4-2133C15Q-64GFX

But I don't want to have to buy such a low frequency RAM if I can avoid it.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=916677
Here's the list of corsair's officially compatible offerings.
One guy on here reported he got 128 gb working here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1636566/asus-rog-zenith-extreme-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support/1800#post_26474598
He got the 4.31 version (b.die), not sure if anyone has reported working with a hynix one (5.xx version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdSukvht0Go
This guy got some kind of Corsair RGB version to work but I can't get the link to his partpicker profile to work and when I asked him he just said 'Corsair RGB'
frown.gif
Maybe same as the other guy who got it working possibly? Would be encouraging.

I think I have seen this memory fail twice (could be getting things confused, but one guy at least ended up returning it):
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-128GB-3000MHz-Memory/dp/B019X5RN84/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512466522&sr=1-2&keywords=corsair+vengeance+128

If you find a working option let me know...

Really, all I want is something that is almost guaranteed to post - I don't care if I can't run it at advertised clock speed for a year+++ while waiting for bios updates, I just dont want to deal with refund shipments across continents
frown.gif

This guy got it working as well:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6214&PN=9&title=fatal1ty-x399-wont-post-with-128gb-ram
With the bios update from Asrock, using
g.skill ripjaws 3200 F4-3200C16D-32GVK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thx for that last post, it is very helpfull.

My build will be starting in a month so i ll pm you what i find at that point

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey I am running dual rank samsung E die kit ...3466...it is corsair led white kit. Works as per amp and even overclocks to 3466 @ 1 T command rate, just need to follow the instructions in my sig. All this ram nonsense is caused by shortsightedness on AMD/ASUS part as they did not think dual rank ram is out for consumers, so they trained their "neural network" engine on single ranked ram and all this confusions stems from there. Also, going to forums like this spurred even more confusion and caused people to find sh!!tty info when they first search google. All good now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:

Hey I am running dual rank samsung E die kit ...3466...it is corsair led white kit. Works as per amp and even overclocks to 3466 @ 1 T command rate, just need to follow the instructions in my sig. All this ram nonsense is caused by shortsightedness on AMD/ASUS part as they did not think dual rank ram is out for consumers, so they trained their "neural network" engine on single ranked ram and all this confusions stems from there. Also, going to forums like this spurred even more confusion and caused people to find sh!!tty info when they first search google. All good now
That's good to hear but how many slots are you using? Almost everyone I've seen be unable to post have been able to use the memory just fine with 4,5,6,7 slots occupied but not if they connect all 8 sticks.

If you're using all 8 slots (8x16 or 8x8x), I'll be very happy....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts