Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 196.75 drivers and only BC2 is causing blue screens

I've also never gotten a bluescreen in months, only until this new game and GPU driver...

I'm almost positive its the issue as I get BSOD code 116 which goes back to VIDEO driver timing out and failing to reset

Normally I would roll back, but this driver has added support for SLI in BC2, which I'm playing for like 10 hours a day.. Getting a BSOD maybe every other day

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
well what your saying is right, the new driver makes blue-screens and BSOD but till now i've never had anyone of them... the problem with 196.75 drivers is it cannot control the fan of the card according to its temperature, i suggest you use the evga precsion tool to push the fans to 100% while playing and you'll see how good those drivers are, but if you hate noise of the fans at 100% just roll back to 196.21...

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Have you tried the 196.86 drivers? From what I've heard they're pretty similar to the 196.75, dunno if they'll show the same problem.

Before I installed them, I looked at various places, one of which was EA forums for BC2, where they were posted, a few people loved them with BC2 seemingly, there and a few other forums I saw them at.

[EDIT: When I wrote this nobody else had posted yet, lol! Long time making a cuppa man.. o_0 ]

• Rep+
Reactions: HSG502

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a temperature problem, if you guys note my sig my GPU is watercooled.

I will definitely try those .86 betas

edit: they're not on nvidia's site!

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
They aint Beta's. They're modified 196.75's. Hence I dunno if they'll cause the same problem you're having.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/top...t-dell-mobile/

There's also an EVGA SLI enhancer which I'm assuming you have. Some of the forums I went through, there were BC2 boys saying they had enhancer and these and they worked fine.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoBeardy
View Post

They aint Beta's. They're modified 196.75's. Hence I dunno if they'll cause the same problem you're having.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/top...t-dell-mobile/

There's also an EVGA SLI enhancer which I'm assuming you have. Some of the forums I went through, there were BC2 boys saying they had enhancer and these and they worked fine.

thisz for laptops ?!

·
Almost Canadian
1,341 Posts
I actually had some issues with 196.21 unin stalled it now im running 196.34 beta. I had a couple bluescreens wiht 196.21 cant say for sure it was them but i also did a clean install of windows afterwards everything perfect now!

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
I'm using 196.75 for BFBC2 and they are performing great. The 196.34 beta's were good for BFBC2 also.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
the newest drivers that are no longer on nvidias site were causing issues for some users. such as their gpu's and or cpu's frying. Im lookn for the article now.

edit: the article i read included the cpu getting messed up, however the most i an find now is gpu's overheating.

they sound safe provided you go into speed temp or precision and bump the fan up.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=161551

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Believe me its just the fans issue and just like you said any tool can push fans speeds and give solution, I'm watching temps all the time thx to all the announcements about how bad 196.75 but my cards are good, temps didn't cross 58c on battlefield bad company2 maxed out so...

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faisal11iraq View Post
thisz for laptops ?!
Yeah, but there's a .INF file that you replace the one that's in the installation folder before running setup, with.
I -believe-, and don't quote me on this: That nVidia when releases a new driver, sends one to Dell (etc.) to release as Driver Updates, that or Dell do something with them I dunno, but this is officially 196.86 within the base-coded information, not just an altered .75.
Either way, there's no fan-fail bug within them, and people running SLI setups are getting the same FPS and quality performance increase that the .75's gave. *shrugs*

I'm using them 'til nVidia releases some proper WHQL's 8)

·
Registered
242 Posts
This will solve all your problems it did for me, a fellow member recommend this and its 1000% different

1. Go to C:\\Users\\Anthony\\Documents\\BFBC2
2. Open up the settings.cfg file
3. Scroll down to the command line DxVersion=
4. It is set to auto by default
5. Delete auto and put a 9 so it looks like this DxVersion=9

Download these beta drivers
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7_...4_beta_uk.html

Let me know

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're not supposed to be running those drivers. The have a known bug, Nvidia broke the fan controller. If you go to Nvidia website you'll simply see that they recalled them. The latest drivers available are the 196.21. So no, they are not the best drivers. Unless you are manually ramping the fan speed, then ok. But thats a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdmsupra
View Post

This will solve all your problems it did for me, a fellow member recommend this and its 1000% different

Let me know

Do this only if you can deal with not playing with ANY AA. BFBC2 will not work with any AA in DX9. This is very unfortunate for 7000 series users, and XP users. I have a 260 216 and run in dx9 mode only because i can't make 10 run very well. Its basically all about minimum frame rate. Average means nothing if your lowest fps gets below 40. I averaged 55-60 in 10. But During close quarter fighting, especially on Panama Canal map, I would often see 37fps. In DX9 I never see below 50, and the game looks pretty much exactly the same except jagged edges...just like xbox lol. Win7 feels like it runs the game a bit better, but in all actuality the frames were the same. At least in DX9 you can run vsync because your frame will be much higher.

You can also ramp up the AF, it will make the jagged edges not look as bad...in theory. As far as I can tell the AF isn't working either. I ramped it all the way up to x16 in game. Didn't really look any different than 2x. Now I don't know what the actual effect is, but BFBC2 allows you to change gfx settings on the fly. I have no idea if it actually does anything, or if I should be restarting. I know I couldn't get Bloom to effectively be turned off until I restart the computer, which was wierd.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheButler208 View Post
You're not supposed to be running those drivers. The have a known bug, Nvidia broke the fan controller. If you go to Nvidia website you'll simply see that they recalled them. The latest drivers available are the 196.21. So no, they are not the best drivers. Unless you are manually ramping the fan speed, then ok. But thats a pain in the arse.
Again, if you read any posts or even looked at my rig listed in my sig - my video cards are watercooled - there is no fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdmsupra View Post

Let me know
So you're implying that it is a DX10 problem or a driver problem?

If its the drivers, then only 1 step is necessary.. Change drivers..

I made this post to see if anyone else was having the same issue. Clearly this isn't the case!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I still recommend staying with the recent driver until they release a fix because you're "risking" your gpu unless you are willing to. IMO!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aavikkokettu
View Post

I use manual fan control with this 196.75 drivers and no problem. This 295 runs hot anyway. With this drivers i have about +20 fps better than .34 drivers ( in heavy action ~120fps and in normal action 180fps)
I notest my game runs better with dx10 than dx9, have anyone same thing?

yep but bullet registration in BFBC2 dx10 su*** i don't know why

1 - 20 of 21 Posts