Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
CONES!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 Ford Mustang II Cobra II Restoration/Build Log

About the car:
The car is a numbers matching 1978 Mustang II Cobra II. It has the original Windsor 302 V8 and Borg-Warner 4 speed manual transmission. It is a Texas car and has been here since new.

About the restoration/build:
My dad and I recently purchased this car with the intent to restore it to its original glory while also dramatically improving both the mechanics and looks of the car. It's going to take a lot of work but hopefully it will be a fun learning experience for both of us. We are both huge Mustang fans and we've restored a classic Mustang before so we have some experience doing this. The only generation of the Mustang we haven't owned is the third generation fox body.

"Anyone can build a 65 coupe. When was the last time you saw a Mustang II at a car show?" - My Dad

Goals for the build (to be updated as needed):
  • Fully restore the car mechanically, exterior, interior
  • Swap out factory 4 speed to a T5 5 speed
  • Change the rear brakes from drums to discs
  • Change the wheel hubs from 4 lugs to 5 lugs
  • Fit larger wheels and tires
  • Replace factory bumpers with aftermarket fiberglass bumpers
  • Either rebuild the factory 302 or swap in a different engine
  • Produce 300-400 horsepower
  • Upgrade the rear gears to 3.73
  • Overhaul entire suspension system
What's happened so far:

5/13/2016
Car is delivered and stored in the garage. We received everything the previous owner had for the car and the car is mostly complete. It is missing the original driver side front wheel which was replaced with a spare wheel the previous owner put on. Both passenger side tires are flat. The car does not run. The original carburetor needs to be rebuilt and a new oil pump which was included with the car also needs to be put it. The car needs a full restoration inside and out.

5/14/2016
Started sanding the body down to the bare metal to get the car ready to be painted. Long way to go before this is complete.

0MUVnVN.jpg

3L1nWE3.jpg

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,871 Posts
First reply.
devil.gif

Anyway, subbed.

EDIT: I'm curious though, are you going to try to keep the original style of the car (minor changes), or are you going to change it drastically?

·
CONES!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
b6efaCS.jpg

vfreyuG.jpg

hGCn9Yd.jpg

4ONWRak.jpg

FhopyID.jpg

2smK6bg.jpg

qUaEAg9.jpg

KF848vg.jpg

R8wxkmQ.jpg

·
CONES!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We put it up in the air to replace the flat tires today:

Hc5IboU.jpg

·
CONES!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cones View Post

Is that what the dash originally looked like?
I like your "jackstands".
Yes it is. There's a few pieces missing but as far as I know that's the factory dash board. It has a light that says "Fasten Seatbelts".
biggrin.gif

Those are just supports for the floor jack. I only have one set of jack stands so I had to improvise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

an LS1 would look great under that hood

biggrin.gif
No. That's not even funny. That's just blasphemy.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,871 Posts
What happened to those poor tyres?

I know, tyres don't age well, but still.

I see what you meant about it needing a lot of work.

·
CONES!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKuhn View Post

What happened to those poor tyres?

I know, tyres don't age well, but still.

I see what you meant about it needing a lot of work.
It has fresh tires on both of those wheels now. The other side still has ancient tires on it but they hold air so we're not paying to replace them when we're just going to replace the wheels anyway.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,871 Posts
Rotary.
devil.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,871 Posts
On a more serious note, I thought I'd throw in my opinion. While it's up to you and your father to make the car wat you want it to be (and I'm well aware that different people have different taste), I'd keep the visible (especially obvious) changes to a minimum. I feel an old car should at least look stock. Modifications can be made, but I'd prefer if it fits in with the car's original style.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:

First reply.
devil.gif

Anyway, subbed.

EDIT: I'm curious though, are you going to try to keep the original style of the car (minor changes), or are you going to change it drastically?
I remember 1978 clearly. Lets hope he changes it drastically. Talk about a horrible year(s) for any sort of performance.

·
Baking Cookies
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post

No. That's not even funny. That's just blasphemy.
Now you get it!
tongue.gif
Yeah I just want to save this quote for the next time he goes on about how LS swapping everything makes sense, and why keep an inferior engine in a car? lol

@Tman5293 I'm interested to see where the build goes, please keep us updated :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Subbed, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by essanbee View Post

I remember 1978 clearly. Lets hope he changes it drastically. Talk about a horrible year(s) for any sort of performance.
That post was more aimed at visual changes.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
I'd love it if it stayed with all of its crapness. It will lose some of its magic if it undergoes a drastic visual change.

Drivetrain-wise? Yeah, rock 'n roll baby.

·
CONES!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

On a more serious note, I thought I'd throw in my opinion. While it's up to you and your father to make the car wat you want it to be (and I'm well aware that different people have different taste), I'd keep the visible (especially obvious) changes to a minimum. I feel an old car should at least look stock. Modifications can be made, but I'd prefer if it fits in with the car's original style.
I believe the only things we're changing looks wise are the hideous bumpers and the decals. We're putting aftermarket fiberglass bumpers on it that are flush with the front and back of the car. The factory decals were awful too so we won't be putting those back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzaiTree View Post

Yeah I just want to save this quote for the next time he goes on about how LS swapping everything makes sense, and why keep an inferior engine in a car? lol

@Tman5293
I'm interested to see where the build goes, please keep us updated
smile.gif
An LS swap doesn't make sense when I can get equal results out of a Ford V8. Also, you don't put Chevy engines in Mustangs.

·
Baking Cookies
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzaiTree View Post

@Tman5293
I'm interested to see where the build goes, please keep us updated
smile.gif
An LS swap doesn't make sense when I can get equal results out of a Ford V8. Also, you don't put Chevy engines in Mustangs.
I'm not actually saying you SHOULD swap in an LS.

Just saying that you can't give people crap for not swapping when you've found a car that you wouldn't.

And you could just as easily say the same thing about you don't put piston engines in a rotary engined car.

That's all :)

Still excited to see the build!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts