Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://theinquirer.net/?article=29469

Kind of old (almost 2 weeks), some you might have already read it but $8,000 for a workstation card...that's freaking nuts.

Not sure how it'll work out since the Asus Dual 7800GT GPU is buggy as hell but if it's guaranteed to work then jesus, that'll be one hell of card, but $8K is a mighty high price, but still 4 G71 chips!!

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -relk-

y would u need a 1gb of ram on a video card. jeez 512 mb is enough adn the yr thinking about putting 1 gb on wow.

The Quadro is for professional 3D editing. Some of that stuff can be way more demanding than any game out today.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well, Quadros are workstation graphics cards which is preferably used in 3D software like 3D Studio Max. Developers use cards like Quadros to make the games and gamers use conventional graphics cards to play it.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
8k for a videocard is just frickin nuts. Can't you just buy a gaming G71 core and use RivaTuner to "unlock professional capabilities" so it'll become a Quadro? Like how many people convert a normal 6800 into Quadro4000.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Ya, workstation cards have had 512 MB of RAM for a long time, some even have 640 MB, so 1 GB makes sense.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wudaddy

8k for a videocard is just frickin nuts. Can't you just buy a gaming G71 core and use RivaTuner to "unlock professional capabilities" so it'll become a Quadro? Like how many people convert a normal 6800 into Quadro4000.

no, its different because that is just the software...its like saying that if u overclock ur 3700+ SD enough, it'll be as good as a FX-57. When the truth is that its close, but not quite... (FX-57 are more stable, unlocked multis, can go further, etc)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
When do you think that 1gb will became avalible to the gaming scene, cause 512 is still usally worse than 256 except at like 1600x1280 and maxed aa and af.

·
Banned
233 Posts
so will this card be able to play direct x games because i got a quardro 64 mb and a ati fire fl gl which has a faster stock core and bigger heatsink

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yeah but the quadro is made for workstations though.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It can run games, but it's not designed for games. It will run slower than competitively priced cards that are designed for gaming.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
These cards will not game well. They are for workstations. Usually like others said 3dStudioMax or other editing software.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Game developers mainly use Maya Unlimted or 3Ds MAX. CAD softwre is kind of intensive but any mainstream top-tier card can handle it. My girlfriend is in interior design and her onboard graphics from her Dell XPS (lower end laptop) handles it just fine. The Quadros and Fire GL's are for the big boys I mentioned first.

They're fun as hell to play on and it' amazing that developers get these games from using those programs

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
convert this quadro to whatever....i'm sure you can game on that like a mother, cuz i heard that there is no extra benifit for gaming, (still good) but they are MADE for video editing, i'd prolly buy it for gaming
(someone pm me if i'm wrong)

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Yeh the old man run,s an engineering shop where they design & manufacture mixing and drive systems for all kinds of stuff.

anyways they got a rig down there set up solely for CAD (not your average turbo CAD) but a AUD$6,000.00 program and they run a quad head MATROX at around they 3200 x 2400 mark I seem to remember. I tried to run DOOM III on it some time ago and the results were not that great but in CAD F***k me it is totally awesome and had never seen a graphical system running as such.

The cost was AUD$4,500.00 about 1yr ago and that was with a discount.

Just some useless information maybe.

cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts