Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is 2.65ghz w/ 1gb(2x512) dual channel better than 2.4ghz with 2gb(4x512) dual channel? i have a 3700+ sd and it's corsair value select. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
for gaming more ram is always better... but 2x1gig sticks will be better than 4x512 sticks... it has something to do with the memory controller.... i dont know much about it though...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well, alot of games just plain out won't use more than 1 GB of RAM, and the performance increase with an extra GB of unneeded RAM is usually around .2 fps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BF2, COD2, F.E.A.R., stuff like that, and how much diff does it make to get 2x1gb versus my set up?

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
for current games yes... but what about the new DX10 games coming out soon... in about 6months-1 yr he will be glad he has the additional gig of ram

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cas6236

BF2, COD2, F.E.A.R., stuff like that, and how much diff does it make to get 2x1gb versus my set up?

OK, with those games, go with the 2 GB for sure; but as he said, try to go with 2x1 GB instead of 4x512 MB.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cas6236

and how much diff does it make to get 2x1gb versus my set up?

i think it will mostly show when OCing... im not totally sure myself, but i know its better lol... im sounding like an idiot so ill just shutup now

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrox
Well, alot of games just plain out won't use more than 1 GB of RAM, and the performance increase with an extra GB of unneeded RAM is usually around .2 fps.
A lot of older games mabye. Most new games that are video intensive will need more than 1gig. BF2/Fear and a few others require 1.25 to 1.5 for best performance.
[for gaming more ram is always better... but 2x1gig sticks will be better than 4x512 sticks... it has something to do with the memory controller.... i dont know much about it though...]
Running all 4 slots full of ram will force the mem controller to work harder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I should've looked into it more, but I always thought bigger was better no matter how you got it. Kinda like steroids in baseball. lol

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa
there he said it...

is that all it does? i would like to know myself, it just strains the controller... doesnt like run slower or anything?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa
A lot of older games mabye. Most new games that are video intensive will need more than 1gig. BF2/Fear and a few others require 1.25 to 1.5 for best performance.
[for gaming more ram is always better... but 2x1gig sticks will be better than 4x512 sticks... it has something to do with the memory controller.... i dont know much about it though...]
Yeah I knew F.E.A.R. was a very memory demanding game, that's why I said 2 GB for sure once he said he played that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well then whats a good 1gb dual channel stick, that won't break my pocket?
see even now I'm thinking "I could get 4x 1gb sticks and rock out" Ha ha ha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i paid like $180 for the ram i got now, so let's say $200 for both.
also I was looking at your case mod did you have to take your molex connects off? i bought some uv green sleeving but I don't know how to get it on without taking of the molex. thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts