Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently started my computer, and noticed that my D: and E: partitions were missing from the "Computer" menu (they're both on the spinpoint. Didn't think of it much then, so I rebooted and it was working again...for a while. After about 5 mins it dissapeared again and I though well now somethings really wrong, I didn't manage to get HDtune up and running before it died 2nd time, but I've tried replacing SATA cable, switching SATA ports +replacing the power cable from the PSU still without any luck.

Could it just have died? I've had it for about 1 year and 9 months, been working flawlessly till now

(Only got a 60GB ssd now luckily)

·
Registered
385 Posts
there is a probability it died...

But something like that happened to me once. My hdd wouldn't show on my computer but I had to reassign a drive letter to the drive and that seemed to work. Been running fine for all this time.

I used Easeus Partition Manager.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well... Did you try it in a different computer?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could give it a try tomorrow, only got one computer here now however.

Thanks for the help sofar
smile.gif
, alot of data on that disk :/

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
if it is dead sounds like the controller board died rather than the drive. do you have any sort of fan blowing on the hdds to help cool the controller boards? I don't mean of those crappy setups where the fan is screwed directly to case with OUT a spacer or rad box while the the fan is starving for air.

EDIT: Fractal Design R3 has decent HDD cooling. Still controller boards can go bad any ways.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

if it is dead sounds like the controller board died rather than the drive. do you have any sort of fan blowing on the hdds to help cool the controller boards? I don't mean of those crappy setups where the fan is screwed directly to case with OUT a spacer or rad box while the the fan is starving for air.
EDIT: Fractal Design R3 has decent HDD cooling. Still controller boards can go bad any ways.
I got the Fractal R3 with 2 front fans blowing at the HDD / SSD, can I do anything if its the controller board? Or just get a new one on the warranty?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
you probably will have to buy a new drive just to backup the data.

you can replace the controller board, if you can find the exact match, but must backup data first.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
There used to be a firmware update that fixed a missing-from-BIOS issue with Samsung HD103SJ drives. It was for SB850, but people reported it worked on Intel boards too. The catch was, you need a second PC to apply it from, because it's already gone/missing from your main one.

Also, Samsung's HDD division got acquired by Seagate - I'm not sure where the firmware update is now...

Edit: Oh hey, I found it on a blog.
thumb.gif

http://www.jack-brennan.com/samsung-firmware-update-for-p67-and-sb850/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts