Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I want a laptop that is 11-14"
  • Light
  • 7+ hours of battery life
  • Minimum gpu to handle 720p movies
  • want to hear high quality music through my headphones
  • only going to be watching movies, listening to music, school work (essays, web browsing, etc) Nothing really complicated
  • around 1k or less
I was thinking of getting mac book pro for a while for micro center for 999 and still do want one just because I have my sig rig for the hard stuff and gaming.
Just very portable. I just want be able to listen to high quality music with my headphones and watch 720p movies and I am not sure how the MBP is with that. Thanks in advance. +rep to helpers

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
The macbook pro has dedicated graphics. any dedicated graphics that came out later than 2008 will handle 1080p video without a problem.

my only recommendation would be to try to fit an ssd into the budget, but if that is too expensive its not really a necessity.

a mac would actually be really nice because of its size, awesome capability to use basic applications and it is very fast and sleek looking as well. they have very nice battery too.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ maxhudson: yea, for now I will keep hdd but I can always get ssd after. For what I am doing it really isn't need. The ssd price drops have been nice though. +rep
but how does MCP support 1080p? The only one under 1000 is the 13.3" which is not even 1080 res.

@ Somenamehere: looks nice thanks Whats exact battery life and again how can it support 1080p when res is 1366 x 768? + rep

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistons50 View Post
@ maxhudson: yea, for now I will keep hdd but I can always get ssd after. For what I am doing it really isn't need. The ssd price drops have been nice though. +rep
but how does MCP support 1080p? The only one under 1000 is the 13.3" which is not even 1080 res.

@ Somenamehere: looks nice thanks Whats exact battery life and again how can it support 1080p when res is 1366 x 768? + rep
What I meant to say was the gpus were steong enough to handle 1080p, even though the macbook pros screen isn't 1080p

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I considered the hp envy 14. That one was backlit k/b right? Ya, thats why I asked for 720p support. Didn't think I could get 1080p on this small of laptop. +rep

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Your battery life preference is gonna be the tough part.

The

Acer TimelineX 4820TG Acer TimelineX 4820TG
is spoken of very well amongst people I've known that have one. $799 at Amazon and $750 at Newegg (out of stock). Great bang for the buck. I got a chance to use one and it was surprisingly solid for the price: nice keyboard and display, thin. The 8hr battery life claim, like all notebook battery claims, is probably 30-40% less for real usage.

There's a 13" and 14" version without dedicated graphics for $90 less.

ASUS makes some good options. The mentioned N82 is a good deal with that rebate, but may be a little overkill for your needs, and battery life isn't gonna be its strong point.

ASUS U35JC ASUS U35JC
($789 for black) is worth looking at, along with its cousins the U35F, U30JC, and 14" varieties, the U45xxx's.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The acer laptop looks pretty nice. I like it. Do you know if the 9cell battery sticks out at all?

The asus laptop I am really liking the size and style. The battery life is a big + too. Thanks!!

Do either of these have backlit keyboards by chance? not a big factor just curious.

edit: also does the asus have a cd drive?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The Acer battery sticks out of the bottom a bit, which I actually like because it gives it a nice slant and assists with cooling.

The Asus U35JC does not have an optical drive, I don't think. The U30JC does, as well as the 14" versions. Asus model numbers can be confusing, and not all differences are immediately noticeable. None of them have a backlit keyboard so far as I know (neither does the Acer). If a backlit keyboard is something you'd like, the Dell Vostro series has them and are another pretty good value in this category (they have matte screens though, if that is something you like/don't like, and decent battery life requires the optional larger batt upgrade).

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea when it sticks out on the bottom that isn't as bad as straight out. But still the is the smallest with good amoutn of battery life. I will take a look at the dell vostro. I like all these laptops hard choice.

·
Melted Cheese
4,183 Posts
If you want the absolute most out of your money, great build quality and a free warranty go for Asus. They have solid builds and unlike other companies they do not charge you simply because of their name.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistons50 View Post
Whats slice bAttery? I am guessing smaller? I still wabt good battery life
It's a battery that goes under the laptop. It greatly improves battery live on the Envy past the Macbook pro's to 7-14 hours depending on the size of the envy. 8-10 seems to be the norm.

This is for the 13" HP Envy.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
It is really hard to get a high resolution with a screen that small unless you go with the Sony Carbon series but they are expensive.

Take a look at this.
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-u35jca1-...wconfigure=yes

You can get an extra battery and an USB dvd drive and you should be in the 1k budget.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts