Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I got a 1KW PSU for my computer would I see that much of an increase in my electric bill from how it is now? Because I have a 700W OCZ GameXStream but I am getting a pair of 8800GTX GPU's and someone told me that it wouldnt be able to handle them can it?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Your system draws as much as as needed. Just because you have a 1kw PSU, doesn't mean it is using the entire 1kw. More importantly, you want good efficiency. Anything around 80% is great. Most quality PSU can do this around 50-70% max load.

I have heard that the OCZ 700w was able to handle your system. However, your CPU is a MASSIVE bottleneck even to one 8800GTX. You need to overclock or replace your CPU to make 88000GTX SLI even worth it.

·

29,532 Posts
And it will be able to run them.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
if all thigns stayed the same your power bill would probably go DOWN. But, since you're adding the 8800GTXes in SLI...those wil draw more power...

Shouldn't be THAT bad though. Not like you use them constantly.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
honestly if you're going to spend 1200 on two video cards thats going to not be optimized by your system, why not just buy one gtx8800 and upgrade your proc/motherboard AND ram w/ the other 600 bucks you'll be saving. you'll get more performance out of it that way as well.

and yes your 700w psu will run.....

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killerfromsky
View Post

don't change the psu, it will work

but the CPU is to slow for a 8800 in SLI!?
overclock it...

Core 2 Extremes are "too slow" for 8800's in SLI.

Get a single 8800GTS, keep your PSU, and it will shred through all games. SLI is a waste unless you have a MASSIVE monitor, and a monster CPU.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
The truth is, that it would be a waste to replace the PSU. The 700w OCZ psu's have plenty enough power for 8800 SLI. You DO NOT NEED 1Kw just to power 8800's in SLI! That 700w PSU is plenty enough! Most decent ~700w + Psus have plenty enough for 8800's in sli. Anything over is just overkill unless you plan to power a Peltier aswell...lol

Instead take that money you would spend on the PSU, and get a more powerful CPU so you dont bottlneck the 8800's so badly.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
hell, even buy one 8800GTX, one opty 165 plus a decent watercooling sytem and you'll have enough money left over for beer while you upgrade your system!!!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I'd keep the PSU and just get one GTX but a newer SLI mobo for future compatibility later.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
SLi in itself is a dumb idea. The only reason that SLi is justified is if you want a big e-penis or if you just don't know how to spend money.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaKing View Post
SLi in itself is a dumb idea. The only reason that SLi is justified is if you want a big e-penis or if you just don't know how to spend money.
Or you have a giant monitor. Or you have an older card and want a cheap, but major, boost in performance.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:

That's a bit unjustified. Personally, I always thought the better frame rates was a good enough reason, but you seem to have overlooked that one.
I agree with all the above. One GTX is enough graphics power, now find a CPU to back it up.
~Kahuna

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
Or you have a giant monitor. Or you have an older card and want a cheap, but major, boost in performance.

In addition, SLI make sense at certain pricing points. Going back to last spring with the release of the 79xx series, here were your choices:

$300: 7900GT
$500: 7900GTX
$600: 7900GT SLI
$1000:7900GTX SLI

If you had $600-700 to spend, 7900GT SLI would make the best sense.

• Rep+
Reactions: Kahuna513

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, kind of a harsh statement that has no backing to it. You don't know his situation so he indeed could have a large monitor he is powering it for, or he may just want to squeeze as many fps as possible from whatever game he is playing. Let people do what they want.

The thread is on psus stay on topic.

Anyway, I think if you already bought the 1k PSU you might as well just keep it, as it might be used in other rigs after this one if it holds up as well as giving you the ability to do some cooling things w/ it such as a pelter. You could also hotwire it or whatnot and have it power something for a mod or something like that.

Note to Duckie: I don't agree, I would just spend it on a 80 series. The reason he is buying this and not a 79 is because of dx10, would be a waste to buy any 79 card now unless its just to power a rig until you have the cash or something like that.

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
I was wondering about the 700w OCZ being able to run next-gen cards as well. If you guys are certain it can handle two GTXs, I'm sure it'll have no trouble with two R600s. Good news for me. :)

~Mike

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopes View Post
Note to Duckie: I don't agree, I would just spend it on a 80 series. The reason he is buying this and not a 79 is because of dx10, would be a waste to buy any 79 card now unless its just to power a rig until you have the cash or something like that.
I know... I had said... "Going back to last spring with the release of the 79xx series, here were your choices" Back in day, your nVidia card selection was much clearer. Help to simply the breakdown.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts