Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a dedicated rig to folding, this way it will keep me from upgrading my main PC constantly.

I'd like to get 1M PPD from this rig, so I would imagine 2 x GPUs. Questions are (1) What GPUs give around 500k PPD? (2) or maybe 3 cards around 300k each? (3) Is it easier now to multi GPU fold? (4) Should I even consider folding on the CPU on this rig or just get whatever is cheap?

In my spare parts closet I have a Corsair 850W PSU, a 128GB SSD from an old laptop a Corsair 600T case and a crap ton of 120 mm fans just collecting dust. Figure why not get something dedicated up and running and then fold on my main rig when I'm not using it (so pretty much overnight and all day at work).

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
What Cerberus said. That spreadsheet will tell you just about anything you want to know.

As far as a CPU goes, if it's a 24/7 rig I don't think it's worth spending more on a CPU to fold on it. I don't know enough to tell you exactly what CPU you should go for, but it won't be anything fancy.

·
ʇǝu.ʞɔoʅɔɹǝʌO oʇ ʍǝu
61 Posts
yeah two 1070s should do it... i can get almost 1M per day with just 1 1080 if i OC

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
Looking to build a dedicated rig to folding, this way it will keep me from upgrading my main PC constantly.

I'd like to get 1M PPD from this rig, so I would imagine 2 x GPUs. Questions are (1) What GPUs give around 500k PPD? (2) or maybe 3 cards around 300k each? (3) Is it easier now to multi GPU fold? (4) Should I even consider folding on the CPU on this rig or just get whatever is cheap?

In my spare parts closet I have a Corsair 850W PSU, a 128GB SSD from an old laptop a Corsair 600T case and a crap ton of 120 mm fans just collecting dust. Figure why not get something dedicated up and running and then fold on my main rig when I'm not using it (so pretty much overnight and all day at work).
Biggest unasked question. What is your budget for said card/s? 1 million PPD is easily achievable depending on budget. Folding on your CPU is really not the standard anymore considering wattage/PPD output. Multi-GPU folding is incredibly easy and there are quite a few of us here that can help you achieve that. Others have stated some great facts/advice and the link to the PPD database should guide your decision.

·
OCN Dinosaurian Member
1,972 Posts
I was searching for similar threads “cheap folding rig builds” and came across this one. I just recently had a rig die on me and realized I had an older Sli rig in the closet. Video cards weren’t worth the trouble so I put in a better one and I’m good to go for cheap.

Not much help yet? Well now I have 3 rigs now that put out ~1.5M+ ppd.

#1 - RTX 2060
#2 - GTX 1080 ti
#3 - GTX 1070 Sli

Choose you weapon and fold away! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts