Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm about to build my first CPU loop, I've already done some research on LC cooling and came up with this:

CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO Elite Edition Socket 2011-3
Radiator: XSPC RX360 Black V3
Pump: Laing D5-MCP655
Tank: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250
Hosing: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 1/2 ID - 3/4 OD
Fluid: Feser One UV Black
Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 Performance Edition
Fittings: Koolance 10mm (nozzles for 3/8" (10mm) ID, 1/2" (13mm) OD tubing. G 1/4" threaded. Nickel-plated brass with compression fitting and gasket.)

I would like some advice regarding the hose sizes / fittings etc. if they will all work well together
I know it's an expensive setup but I prefer the buy once, buy good method. It also has to cool down a 5930K which will be OC'ed as high as this loop will allow.
The case I'm using is a Corsair 750D.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,214 Posts
Your tubing and fitting sizes need to match. Most go with 3/8" x 5/8", as it has thicker walls to make tighter bends possible without collapsing, and is still small enough for efficient runs.

Personally, I don't like the Koolance fittings, I always had issues with them. EK, XSPC, Monsoon and Bitspower all make very good quality fittings.

As far as the fans.....you really need to rethink them. Putting it bluntly, Corsair fans are pretty lousy (that is a generous statement), and the AF series don't work well on rads at all. For within a couple of dollars you could have GTs, Vardars or eLoops. For less you could have Phanteks F120MP. All much higher quality fans. Check some of the fan reviews on Thermalbench.com, they include very rad specific information.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to the EK Vardar F3-120? Looking quite good and these are even cheaper than Corsair (which I chose becasue of the looks
wink.gif
)

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin778 View Post

Are you referring to the EK Vardar F3-120? Looking quite good and these are even cheaper than Corsair (which I chose becasue of the looks
wink.gif
)
Any of the EK Vardar line, but the F3-120 would be the best balance for that setup.

And everyone chooses them for the looks....but, if you are spending that much on the other components, why cripple it with bad fans?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found out that they also stock the original Nidec Servo fans with PWM, I think I will be better off with those.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Corsair fans that get the bad wrap are the quiet editions and the PWM fans people seem to always want to use. Corsair SP high performance fans are really good and aren't overly loud. the Corsair PWM fans have a nasty habit of not working off multi channel PWM fan controllers but the voltage regulated run great off a voltage regulated controller. Ive used them in plenty of builds and while i agree they aren't as good as the ek vardar or a good old set of scythe gentle typhoons. If aesthetics come into play the rings " if visible" can make a system while having very good performance also color matching is a thing for me so its a sickness lol. As someone else stated don't put the corsair AF series on a radiator , Ive used them as case fans but wouldn't on a radiator. Also as already stated match tubing and fitting sizes , and again a vote for bitzpower , monsoon , or ek fittings. Being a first time watercooling build i will say before you install any water cooling test all the components on air before touching anything. Also separate from the pc clean and test all the watercooling blocks , radiators etc out of the loop one by one. Radiators should be flushed before putting into your loop , i used a hot but not boiling mixture of distilled water and distilled white vinegar , about a 10% vinegar to water mix usually eyeball it , flush shake and repeat until you don't see anymore flux or particles , then do it a few more times. flush a few more times with straight distilled water before even for the blocks i usually connect the pump to a old power supply and jump it to run. Connecting a hose from the pump to a clean butter bowl with a hose in it below the water line but off the bottom and one hose connecting to a block then out back into the bowl , sometimes little bits of stuff from manufacturing is left behind and i feel its better to not be in my loop. Don't use tap water for anything tho , Distilled water only as tap water has minerals and chemicals in it that could potentially cause problems. Some people may say its being overly anal and isn't required but its not that much of a hassle for peace of mind that the loop and all its components are working properly and free of any debris , flux , or dirt that may have gotten in them.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
AF120 will do nothing for the radiator. Those fans are just terrible.
SP120 is ok, others are better that offer better performance/price for rads.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
Quote:

Just found out that they also stock the original Nidec Servo fans with PWM, I think I will be better off with those.
The EK Vardar F120 ER is good, but there have been some complaints leveled against all the Vardar fans. Seems they have ramdp, vibration, bearing and motor noise issues still not resolved. The Nidec Servo GT 1850 rpm PWM is on of the very best from a company with a long history of quality fans. It would be hard to go wrong using them.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I chose the wrong tubing (too thick) but the shop corrected my mystake on time. I bought 3 original Nidec Servo fans too.
Hope to start the assembly tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are these temps OK? Just assembled the loop.
Fans are on slow/mid RPM, pump on mid.

Ambient temp +-30*C.

[

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
What is your temp in your home? Is it actually 30c?
Which fans were you using?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was extremely hot then, yes. I use 3x Nidec Servo Black Edition on low RPM, no other fans and with side of the case open.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Quote:

Are these temps OK? Just assembled the loop.
Fans are on slow/mid RPM, pump on mid.

Ambient temp +-30*C.

[
We have the same CPU, in Real Temp you'll want to open the icon marked RealTempGT. It will show all six cores.

As you can see, one of your cores hit 69C while the others were lower. Thats why you want the RealTemp GT open to monitor your temps.

* Which Nidec Servo GT fans are they? 3 pin or PWM? I have the 3 pin of the Nidec Servo GT's (black) and I have a bunch of the regular GT's in the 1850rpm. The black Nidec Servos also come in different rpm ranges. Which ones are yours?

* When you say pump is running in "mid" rpm's, do you get a reading on the actually rpm's? To give you an idea on my setup, there seems to be a sweet-spot for pump speed. To slow and temps are a little higher than I like. Too fast, the same. Getting that happy-medium between getting water over and thru blocks fast enough, and also keeping them in the rad long enough to get as much cooling as possible takes some fine tuning. Looks liek youre in the ballpark. So that is why I was asking sort of specific questions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts