Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the top piece of plastic on my Thermaltake Kandalf. But its already painted. Do I need to take the paint off of it or will the vynel dye just stick on top of the other paint?

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
I would use warm soap and water on it first. Then hit it with an epoxy primer. THEN paint it.

Or skip the primer, but sand off the existing top coat of paint.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ModeX
Is epoxy primer different than regular primer?

Yeah...it's VERY efficient at sticking to glossy or clear coated paint jobs. Even smooth acrylics.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY
...One more thing Im going to paint the inside as well(with different paint) Its going to be all black but i want to Paint UV reactive circut looking lines in it as well. Could I paint over the Black with the blue paint then apply the clearcoat? Or should I clearcoat the black paint sand through black paint and clearcoat and then put the blue paint in?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
A grey scotch pad works very well to etch the paint surface.
Like Franky said, clean the surface well with soapy water and rinse well. After it dry and scuffed, remove the dust with a tack rag.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ModeX

TY
...One more thing Im going to paint the inside as well(with different paint) Its going to be all black but i want to Paint UV reactive circut looking lines in it as well. Could I paint over the Black with the blue paint then apply the clearcoat? Or should I clearcoat the black paint sand through black paint and clearcoat and then put the blue paint in?

Paint with the first type of paint. Wait 24 hours to allow the paint to completely catalyze. THEN, mask off with blue painters tape, the circuit lines. Then paint with the second paint. Wait another 24 hours. Then clearcoat 3 or 4 layers. Clear coat paints can be coated once every 60 minutes typically. After the final coat, leave it for 24 hours again.

...Unless you have a painters oven, that is

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"THEN, mask off with blue painters tape, the circuit lines" do you mean cover the areas with painters tape that I'm going to do the circut lines on before I paint with the black paint?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts