Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new here, and pretty much new to overclocking, hopefully I'm posting this in the right section. I'have been reading about overclocking in the past few days, but still afraid to go ahead and do it.

Ok here we go, I recently bought a PC from someone, and want to OC it to 3.0ghz, let me know if it's possible with the current set up. I also need more help, atm I only know the basics.

CPU: Q6600 (G0)
MOBO: ASUS P5KC
GPU: evga 9800GTX 512mb
PSU: ocz stealth xtreme, ocz500sxs 500w
HDD: Seagate barracuda SATA 3gb/s (500GBX2 - i might take one out)
Heat sink: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
RAM:OCZ 1GBx2 PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM (PC came with crucial ballistix CL1118W.XM, not sure which ram is better)
Case: Cooler Master elite 330
Fans: 2x120mm (non Led)
Also a regular DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive

I tried to list as much as I could, let me know if I should gather more info. As far as overclocking this, I just want to OC the cpu to 3.0ghz, I think my PSU might be the problem, even for 3ghz, probably not enough for anything higher.

The person I bought this PC, said he had it OC to 3.2 for about 9 months and was running stable. Only thing different was he had a BFG 8800GT OC 512mb.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
484 Posts
you've listed your pc parts well, now goto user cp on the top of the page and add your pc system with the specs you listed here... this will let other users know what kind of pc you have and you won't have to list all your specs evar agenz.

alright, since you've read a bit on overclocking (I assume you know how to get into your bios) try 334 x 9... this should give you 3ghz. Leave voltages on auto, and if you boot into windows, you're good to go

oh yeah, do you know what's your cpu's VID?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply, I did the above, added system info.

I didn't know what CPU vid was but found out that it was the 6pin that goes to your mobo from your psu (Voltage Identification), and just downloaded core temp to find mine, which is 1:300v.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the Q6600 runs stable with Vcore 1.125 FSB 333 if its not just put it a little higher like 1.15

all u need is the stock cooler its good enough to handle it

this is what you are going to have to do

go to your BIOS go to AI Tweaker and put AI overclock Tuner on Manuel

then put the FSB at 333

and the Vcore (CPU voltage) at 1.125 ore 1.5 depends if it will run stable

then go to the advanced tab and go to cpu configuration and Dissable C1E ore CE1 dunno what its called something like that
and your all set

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the help ^^ I'll try what you said, after doing the above, i have prime95 and sp2004, should i run sp2004 and prime95 after to test if it's stable and how long?

I'm pretty new to both these programs, just kinda tried them out on my pc couple days ago, what tests should I run on prime?

·
Registered
484 Posts
do small fft's (first option) for at least 6-8 hours, depending on your preference. the longer the test runs without errors, the better it is for your system. you wouldn't want your pc to bsod unexpectedly now, wouldja?

how's your overclocking going?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcguy5 View Post
do small fft's (first option) for at least 6-8 hours, depending on your preference. the longer the test runs without errors, the better it is for your system. you wouldn't want your pc to bsod unexpectedly now, wouldja?

I haven't started overclocking yet, still trying to learn more, btw incase you guys missed it, is 500watts enough for this set up?

I'll most likely try to OC this tomorrow, just kinda scared

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcguy5 View Post

ok so got it to 3.0ghz, with 9x333, left the ram timings to auto, cpu voltage to 1.25 and ran Prime95 small fft's and it gave me an error almost right away...

"FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4"

i read about it and ppl were saying there isn't enough voltage going to the CPU, so bumped it up to 1.30v and got the same error after about 15mins.

So i bumped the CPU voltage to 1.35 and it ran fine for almost 3hours then i got this error..

"FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.5"

I don't know if i should be setting the ram timings to manual, maybe the ram needs more voltage, not sure what do do.

btw during the small ftt's test the cpu temp was around 53-58, it was lower when i had about 1.25v, got hotter as i expceted with more cpu voltage.

I'm not sure what do right now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
you can run memtest make sure ram is good @ the speeds, My system draws with monitor on (28 inch) 489 watts with prime 95 on , i got 8 threaded cpu and overclocked to 4.2 ghz so the 500 watts u got should do u fine. Make sure you got the lates bios. Also have coretemp runing to make sure cpu dose not burn out...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GfhTattoo View Post
you can run memtest make sure ram is good @ the speeds, My system draws with monitor on (28 inch) 489 watts with prime 95 on , i got 8 threaded cpu and overclocked to 4.2 ghz so the 500 watts u got should do u fine. Make sure you got the lates bios. Also have coretemp runing to make sure cpu dose not burn out...
i tested my ram on memtest and it past fine, i ran prime95 again, small fft's and at around 2:45h mark it got this error...

FATAL ERROR: Final result was 36117FDB, expected: EE230987.

I'm not sure what this means, should i increase the cpu voltage, it's at 1.35v atm, or change ram timing to manual and set mine, which is 4-4-4-15 on the stick.

idk, i'm really new to this and kinda lost...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klote2314 View Post
the Q6600 runs stable with Vcore 1.125 FSB 333 if its not just put it a little higher like 1.15

all u need is the stock cooler its good enough to handle it

this is what you are going to have to do

go to your BIOS go to AI Tweaker and put AI overclock Tuner on Manuel

then put the FSB at 333

and the Vcore (CPU voltage) at 1.125 ore 1.5 depends if it will run stable

then go to the advanced tab and go to cpu configuration and Dissable C1E ore CE1 dunno what its called something like that
and your all set
Nice case

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
what's the max FSB that your motherboard can handle with RAM ???

this point is necessary for you to know, because when you increase your CPU FSB, this leads to increasing the RAM FSB too, and since this... you should keep an eye on the max FSB of memory that your motherboard can handle, once your RAM overclocks past the max allowed FSB setting in your motherboard (as a result of increasing the FSP of the processor) you will start facing instability issues, and my be the issues you are facing now were because of this ???

check out your RAM FSB, and see if you need to lower them in the bios to whatever your mobo can handle.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy88442
View Post

well i am kind of new at this so i am not sure. i have the asus p5kc mobo and CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333...i want to say 533??

ummm... after reviewing your motherboard on the net, I could know some cons and pros of it, and some of the cons are that this motherboard runs somehow hot even at stock settings, and this may lead to some problems, and it does has some memory issues as I read, and some of the cool features it has is that it's combo memory support between DDR2 and DDR3

- regarding your issue with your overclocking... your motherboard supports DDR3 memory @ NATIVE speed of 1333 FSB, so I think it must support 1600 overclockability ( but I am not sure, you have to check out this with your motherboard manual), so if it supports 1600 FSB RAM overclocking, then you have got to make sure that your RAM doesn't exceed that number as a result of overclocking the processor, and if it doesn't even support memory overclocking, then you must keep it at its default speed to keep stable, and in such case I recommend you to lower the RAM FSB in advance before overclocking the CPU, that it will still be in the safe margin, and always monitor that your self.

best wishes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok well i got it to overclock but then it woulndt get past the post! i was thinking maybe i need to increase the voltage but i wasnt sure what a safe move would be? any thoughts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts