Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I didn't know what OC was until I found this web page after I got an error msg on my PC during bootup. I recently got back my PC from the manufacturers after they had to replace my HDD due to a corrupted partition and 1 week after its return, whilst booting up I got the msg "Overclocking has failed, press DEL to enter setup or ?? to load defaults" So, not knowing what OC was I have loaded the defaults.

Questions :

Should I worry about this?
What should I do know?

Any assistance greatly appreciated....
neeyedsm

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherub

Hi,

I didn't know what OC was until I found this web page after I got an error msg on my PC during bootup. I recently got back my PC from the manufacturers after they had to replace my HDD due to a corrupted partition and 1 week after its return, whilst booting up I got the msg "Overclocking has failed, press DEL to enter setup or ?? to load defaults" So, not knowing what OC was I have loaded the defaults.

Questions :

Should I worry about this?
What should I do know?

Any assistance greatly appreciated....
neeyedsm

You should be ok as long as it's not doing it everytime it boots up.

Start off by reading the AMD Overclocking Guide This will give you a good start.

Oh ya, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

Welcome to the forum!
"Overclocking has failed"? maybe the guys you sent it to messed with your bios. Did you reset your CMOS back to default?

Thanks for the welcome!

Umm... being a total numb nuts when it comes to this stuff, I just pressed F2 (?) to reset the defaults when it asked and kept my fingers crossed that it would still boot up.

However, the boot up procedure has changed in that before it asked me to press esc to boot (counted down from 9 before booting up anyway) and now it doesn't, also it brings up the option for me to go into my motherboard settings, where before it didn't!

Does this mean I've also reset the CMOS?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

You should be ok as long as it's not doing it everytime it boots up.

Start off by reading the AMD Overclocking Guide This will give you a good start.

Oh ya, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your welcome too! I've printed the guide and will read it over a large drink! :shades2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

Ya I usually find a very large drink helps, LMAO

Preferably one with bubbles and a straw.... oh and a high alcohol %age usually helps too!

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherub

Does this mean I've also reset the CMOS?

nah, to reset the cmos u gotta look for the jumper next to that flat battery. i found a pic of your mobo and circled where it should be. just switch the jumper over one pin for like 10 seconds then put it back to where it was originally. that will reset your cmos back to the stock settings. if you can't get to that just pop out the battery for a few seconds and put it back.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

... wait were you using a Overclocking utility or Ocing through Bios?

It just gave him that error after having his computer serviced... He didnt know what overclocking was...

Anyways, Welcome to the site!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts