Here's what I got so far:
NEC 3500 DVD DVD+/-RW 16x
LiteON DVD-ROM 167

So, I guess all I really need is:
Case:
Mobo:
CPU:
Memory:

I will be using this mostly for backing up my DVDs and playing Age of Mythology every once in awhile. My current system is:
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1G
1G of PC133 Ram
Abit KT7A-Raid
Sound Blaster
Radeon 7200

My budget is about $300, give or take $100. Even though I won't be using it to it's full potential, I enjoy the process of building a solid computer and tweaking it. I really want to experiment with overclocking and create a REALLY QUIET machine.

What do you guys think of:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, $135
MSI "K8T Neo-FSR" K8T800, $72
Corsair Value Select 512MB PC3200, $71

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
blob, thanks for being my first response ever. anyway, do you really think the sempron 2300/shuttle will match up against my proposed athon 64 3000+/MSI combo?

I really want something to KICK ASS!!! my current PC takes approximately 1 1/2 hrs to analyze, 2 hrs to rip, and 45 min to burn--a total of 4 hrs 15 min to burn & rip a single DVD! All devices except the HD refuse to work in UDMA mode, and keep going to PIO even after i uninstall the devices, delete the IDE2 controller, or even delete the "masteridchecksum" in the freakin registry!!!

right now my friend can rip and burn a dvd in less than 1 hr with his Intel P4 2.4/533 FSB, and my coworker can rip and burn in 40 minutes with his Intel P4 2.4/800 FSB. i really want to blow these guys away, but while keep a relatively quiet machine.

oh yeah, since i'm kind of interested in making this a hobby, i really want to upgrade the heatsinks and fans and probably go with a dual hard drive setup with RAID 0 (i think for speed) just for shi**s and giggles. or, perhaps buy a single 37G 10,000 RPM SATA HD? which would be faster out of the two options?

ps, i really like the video card upgrade idea because it has a dvi-out that i could use for my 42" plasma televison....

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I think the 3100+ Sempron would be fine for this but since its $123 it would be better to just go for the AMD64 you suggested... More cache and higher GHz.

As a whole the specs you suggested will work great... And it would be silly to change.

I love the speed of my system when it comes to ripping shrinking and burning DVDs... I can go from original to a high quality copy in just a shade over 1 hour.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
If my understanding of what writing a DVD takes, you don't need as much processing power as much as you would need/benefit from a larger amount of memory. And of course, a fast drive.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

If my understanding of what writing a DVD takes, you don't need as much processing power as much as you would need/benefit from a larger amount of memory. And of course, a fast drive.

The faster the CPU the better... Because since DVD-9 came in and having to compress the video to fit a standard DVD-5 takes quite a bit of CPU power.

Having fast HDD 1Gig or RAM and a decent DVD drive does go a very long way in improving the time on a large scale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts