Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read logan's guide here, and slappa's, and some other ones i managed to find on-line.
I am still unsure what is the correct order of doing things.

I already changed the multiplier to x18 in BIOS, just to see if I can get away with changing just that, and it's stable @ 3600mhz, with only 1c higher (38 load) (didn't touch the voltage, it's 1.275v at the BIOS, tho on CPU Z i see it go as high as 1.376v during stress testing)

From here however, i don't know what i should be doing next.

should i tackle the RAM? it's running at 670mhz according to CPU Z.

should i continue tweaking the CPU? and if so, what next? just increase the multiplier until it fails, and then increase voltage one notch at a time until it's stable? i find that hard to believe, feels.. too easy

what about bus speed, or northbridge settings? should i even be touching those?

hope i'm not rehashing too much.. thx guys
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
432 Posts
1. RAM is totally upto you however know this, for some people, they can only overclock 1 or the other so you may not be able to OC your RAM
2. That is the goal of overclocking
smile.gif
like before its upto you, just make sure you dont melt your CPU in the process
wink.gif

3. i dont know that much about bus speed but for northbridge i OC'ed mine from 2.1 to 2.2 and according to cinebench i got a slight improvement (3.55 points to 3.60)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypunk;11962982
1. RAM is totally upto you however know this, for some people, they can only overclock 1 or the other so you may not be able to OC your RAM
2. That is the goal of overclocking
smile.gif
like before its upto you, just make sure you dont melt your CPU in the process
wink.gif

3. i dont know that much about bus speed but for northbridge i OC'ed mine from 2.1 to 2.2 and according to cinebench i got a slight improvement (3.55 points to 3.60)
Thx, but it doesnt really help me, I know it's up to me, that's why Im asking how to go through with this
smile.gif
I want to ay least get my ram to rated, and get the CPU up to 4ghz.
How should I proceed? Ram first? If so then how. CPU first? If so, then should I just play with the multiplier, or should I up the voltage in advance?

·
Registered
72 Posts
This should help you a little, try to read through it all, but you can skip to nb section and if you want ram.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think one of the main goals is to get your ram at a 1:1 ratio, so sometimes people have to actually underclock their memory to achieve this. I would leave memory an vcore on auto for now until you get the hang of things and just up the multiplier until it is unstable and then try to up your vcore just a little until it is stable.

On the memory, you could also set it manually to the factory settings if you want just so you know it is running at the rated speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks like you are using the same ram I am (gkill 2x2gb 1600 @ 9-9-9-24?). If you give my post a quick look.. here, you can see how I found the ideal memory settings. I got better performance by dropping the ram multiplier to 6.66 (registered the ram as 1333 instead of 1600), and pushed tighter timings. You should be able to find your JEDEC settings in CPU-z for a starting place.

As far as the CPU, I know a lot of people have the 1090T on here, they will be better able to help you than I.

I would suggest turning your RAM and CPU multiplier down by 1x and pushing the Clock Speed as high as your comfortable with before starting on the CPU.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You can go about it a few different ways, as other pointed out.

You can OC just your CPU, by fiddling with the multiplier.
You can OC both by fiddling with the core and multi. Just watch how it affects your RAM. When I do it, I like to manually set the RAM voltage, and timings, and then set the speed to auto, so your core x HT will adjust the RAM along with the CPU (core x CPU multi).

But basically, yes. Just up it slowly and stress test it each time until it blue screens, and either back it off, or up the vcore until it's stable. Adjusting other voltages might be required to get it higher, especially the NB to keep your RAM stable, but only if you're aiming for ~4.0GHz.

There needs to be a thread like the Phenom II x3/x4 for known settings of stable OCs. I can't see any for the x6 ones.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx everyone, good info. the article was a great read too, weird i didn't find it in my googling..
biggrin.gif

2 things before i get started-

1. according to CPU Z and tusk's post, my RAM is already running at stock speeds (9-9-9-24-33-2T @ 669.5mhz), but the FSB is 3:10, which isn't the same as dolk's article's 3:8 for this DRAM. should i change it? should i start OCing the RAM if it's already at stock?

2. the only thing i've done so far is increase the multiplier in the BIOS to x18 (3600mhz). on idle, the system is running at x4 (800mhz), and i'm seeing a voltage range of between 1.336v (idle) and 1.368v (load). temps are fine (27-37). is this voltage range normal? does this mean that the mobo is auto-setting the voltage according to the CPU's power consumption? from what i read, voltage should be my first wall, and i've gotten 400mhz OC without even touching it. is that normal?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Turn off turbo in bios when overclocking. I would set the vcore manually to stock volts when beginning to overclock auto will raise vcore as you overclock,and not always to the optimal setting. Gradually raise the multi until it becomes unstable, then raise the vcore slightly until youre stable again. When you reach a point where increasing voltage no longer brings stability your last stable setting is your max multi setting. set the multi and vcore to stock and do the same with the fsb. I'ts more involved than that, there is a great guide somewhere in this section do a search it was a great help to me.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Crank her up. Max voltage is 1.55V so keep it under that, try to get 4.0GHz at 1.5 or 1.52V but watch your tempature's, keep your CPU tempature below 62C - ignore the Core temps.

Get northbridge up between 2.7-3.0GHz
HT around 2000MHz

RAM, You would have to twink yourself as all RAM is different to overclocking

Get CPU-NB upto 1.35 and keep it under 1.45V

RAM upto 1.6 or 1.65V which depnds on your timings or speed you have set it.

NB upto 1.28 or 1.3V

CPU/PLL - ignore

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
show_oc.php?id=1600963

this is what i've done so far.

-cancelled turbo mode
-set cpu voltage to manual (1.275v)
-set multiplier to 18
-set RAM to 1600mhz and 7-8-7

i haven't touched voltage in either RAM or CPU yet, and the system seems to be stable.

***does it make sense that i'd be able to go to 4ghz without upping the voltage, and still maintain stability?

***also, i'm still seeing multiplier changes (x4 in idle 800mhz to x18 load 3600mhz). is that normal?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Everything looks good, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhardin;11971157
I think one of the main goals is to get your ram at a 1:1 ratio, so sometimes people have to actually underclock their memory to achieve this. I would leave memory an vcore on auto for now until you get the hang of things and just up the multiplier until it is unstable and then try to up your vcore just a little until it is stable.

On the memory, you could also set it manually to the factory settings if you want just so you know it is running at the rated speed.
You are wrong. Memory ratio does not matter at all on AMD systems with the integrated memory controller. This is not 775.

You probably won't need as much voltage as everyone else, apparently Phenom IIs overclock better/require less voltage when cooler. This can be seen when you put a Phenom II under LN2, it apparently requires less voltage for 4Ghz than on air. Since the NH-D14 is pretty much the best air cooler out there, your prospects are looking very good here
wink.gif

The multiplier changes are normal; this is called Cool'n'Quiet. Some people recommend disabling it, but I being a slight environmentalist and favouring running cool recommend that you just leave it on because it will most likely work for you 100% fine even at 4Ghz (as it has for me). Cool'n'Quiet downclocks the processor during low-load scenarios (i.e. non-100% load requirement).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah you're right, missed the cool n quiet feature. Thx!
smile.gif

Should I do anything about the CPU-nb? It's currently at 2000, isn't it bottlenecking the 3600 oc on the CPU ram-wise?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templar;12043772
Yeah you're right, missed the cool n quiet feature. Thx!
smile.gif

Should I do anything about the CPU-nb? It's currently at 2000, isn't it bottlenecking the 3600 oc on the CPU ram-wise?
1) Get the term "bottleneck" out of your head. It's just something that's thrown around on OCN because people have nothing else to say.

2) Increasing the NB Frequency has shown to yield some performance increases. With a a 3.6ghz CPU, a 2400/2600mhz at 1.25/1.3v NB is pretty standard. At 4.0/4.2ghz CPU, a 2800/3000NB at 1.4v pretty standard again.

Don't worry about the NB Voltage. The important one is the CPU/NB voltage.

Also, if you're going to change anything, do it one thing at a time. If you change your RAM, CPU, and NB all at the same time and some instability occurs, then you can't really diagnose which one was the problem. Get one thing stable at a certain speed, and then bring all the others up one by one. It's incredibly tedious, but it's the best way to insure stability.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn;12043912
1) Get the term "bottleneck" out of your head. It's just something that's thrown around on OCN because people have nothing else to say.

2) Increasing the NB Frequency has shown to yield some performance increases. With a a 3.6ghz CPU, a 2400/2600mhz at 1.25/1.3v NB is pretty standard. At 4.0/4.2ghz CPU, a 2800/3000NB at 1.4v pretty standard again.

Don't worry about the NB Voltage. The important one is the CPU/NB voltage.

Also, if you're going to change anything, do it one thing at a time. If you change your RAM, CPU, and NB all at the same time and some instability occurs, then you can't really diagnose which one was the problem. Get one thing stable at a certain speed, and then bring all the others up one by one. It's incredibly tedious, but it's the best way to insure stability.
thx, helped out a lot. and of course i'm doing one thing at a time, not that much of a noob
smile.gif

anyway, running stable now at 4.2ghz (25-39c) 1.3v, and 1600mhz @ 7-8-7-24 1.5v. not gonna oc my gpu, since it reaches 68c after excessive stressing, so i don't wanna see it go over that.
did install my old 8800gt tho, metro 2033 looks great with physx
biggrin.gif

thx guys for all the help!

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
It usually always bottlenecks memory access times out of the box, but I don't believe an NB clock speed will ever bottleneck the clock speed of anything else (except maybe the RAM if the RAM is running at ridiculously high speeds, maybe). You will want to up the NB clock, it gives a big performance increase due to additional memory link bandwidth.

You may have an option to increase the GPU fan speed, allowing it to run cooler and giving you overclocking headroom. Even then, I'm pretty sure it can take a lot more than 68C.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts