Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the ASRock O/Cing guide here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Delidded i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz
ASRock z77 Extreme4
16GB Corsair RAM

I tried 4.5GHz but HWMONITOR would crash..i'm guessing i'd need more voltage? For now the machine is stable @4.4, all is left is a full 12hr PRIME 95 test to confirm but so far so good
smile.gif

looking for feedback/questions as this is my first overclock. I have my 4930k & ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition in the works, so it was about time i finally learned
smile.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,074 Posts
Remember though, 12 hours means that you are only getting through the first 12 hours worth of FFTs. In the Blend test, there are 82 of them to get through and it takes about 24 hours to do so. Each one is different and so being stable enough to run Prime95 for 12 hours only means that you can get through about half of them.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgod213 View Post

Looks good. Your temps are good, voltage is fairly low and as long as it's stable in normal usage, you should be good to go. Also, yes, you will most likely need more voltage to stabilize 4.5 ghz.
No. When overclocked, stability must be determined by the standard stress tests. Even if a computer seems stable for all normal use, that doesn't mean that it is. Data corruption can still happen if a system isn't truly stable when it's overclocked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgod213 View Post

you will most likely need more voltage to stabilize 4.5 ghz.
that's what i figured. right now i'm at +.005v offset which. When i decide i want some more speed i'll toy around more. Oh, forgot to say this cooled by a Hyper 212+ w/ Nocta NF-F12 in pull configuration.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Remember though, 12 hours means that you are only getting through the first 12 hours worth of FFTs. In the Blend test, there are 82 of them to get through and it takes about 24 hours to do so. Each one is different and so being stable enough to run Prime95 for 12 hours only means that you can get through about half of them.
Ok, so for a TRUE stability test, run in blend mode for 24hrs?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falb0ner View Post

Ok, so for a TRUE stability test, run in blend mode for 24hrs?
That would be better, but the best would be to run the Custom Blend test and tell Prime95 to use about 80-85% of your memory as opposed to the default 1600 MB. ;) What version of Prime95 do you have though?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz with 1.235v I presume?

That is not terrible, so that is a start

Temperatures are good. Plenty of room to throw some more volts at it.

Ivy Bridge starts to really get hot around 1.3v for your info. I'd feel unsafe during benchmarking when the temps start to reach 90 degrees.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Since it's Ivy Bridge make sure you investigate WHEA in Event Viewer for Error 19 (Internal parity error 19) as well.

If you have any of those it means you're not truly stable even if you pass days of Prime.

I've flirted with Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell LGA 155X i7s and only Ivy Bridge has this nuance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

That would be better, but the best would be to run the Custom Blend test and tell Prime95 to use about 80-85% of your memory as opposed to the default 1600 MB.
wink.gif
What version of Prime95 do you have though?
v27.9,build 1 is the version i'm running

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanci3 View Post

i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz with 1.235v I presume?

That is not terrible, so that is a start

Temperatures are good. Plenty of room to throw some more volts at it.

Ivy Bridge starts to really get hot around 1.3v for your info. I'd feel unsafe during benchmarking when the temps start to reach 90 degrees.
yes, before the delid i was hitting roughly 85*c with PRIME95. that's when i decided to go to the garage and take a whack in the vice. loving the delidded performance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

Since it's Ivy Bridge make sure you investigate WHEA in Event Viewer for Error 19 (Internal parity error 19) as well.

If you have any of those it means you're not truly stable even if you pass days of Prime.

I've flirted with Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell LGA 155X i7s and only Ivy Bridge has this nuance.
I'll have to research more about this, thanks for the feedback.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falb0ner View Post

v27.9,build 1 is the version i'm running
Excellent. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts