Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to consolidate my hard drive collection into to just 2 drives. And so that means i need a 1TB hdd.

Requirements:
  • Quiet
  • Reliable
  • Not SEAGATE
  • Cheap
it's only going to store my videos and files, it's not going to be a OS hdd, so performance is negligible. (so like the caviar green HDDs are a good choice)

I've been looking around and i've seen cheaper external 1TB drives than new internal 1T hdds. I like how the western digital drives are almost always quite (i've owned over 7 in my computer lifetime) But i've also heard that samsung spinpoints are pretty good.

Any help here is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
If you don't mind the performance hit, the Caviar Green series is perfect for you.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i'm liking the sound of the caviar green. the only thing i use the hdd for is dvds, blu-rays, media center recordings, and my general storage of files

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I think you will be happy with either one. Both WD and Samsung make a good product.The Samsung is a few bucks more because of shipping.
Flip a coin

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
caviar green. It's a 5400 RPM drive, but the lower speed will lower noise and make it more reliable, perfect for media storage.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Either the Caviar Green or the 5400 rpm spinpoint. They are essentially identical as far as specs, speed and power consumption goes. Just pick the brand you like or whatever is on sale when you are buying. I ended up witht he 5400rpm spinpoint as that's what was on sale at my local microcenter when I needed one and I'm super happy with it. Its actually pretty fast and amazingly cool/quiet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.