Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question guys. I want to add ssd to my msi ge76 laptop . Is it the m.2 NVMe Solid State Drive i should get ?or what size fitts in the laptop?? Thx

·
Registered
123 Posts
The owner's manual (usually on the setup disk that comes with the laptop), or the MSI site should tell you what is compatible. I think it will take an m.2 NVME drive, but there are a couple of form factors - you want to be sure it will fit the slot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The owner's manual (usually on the setup disk that comes with the laptop), or the MSI site should tell you what is compatible. I think it will take an m.2 NVME drive, but there are a couple of form factors - you want to be sure it will fit the slot.
Thx

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,877 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,877 Posts
No, the storage drives don't have to match. Unless you want to run "RAID" but I assume you just want to add storage.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the storage drives don't have to match. Unless you want to run "RAID" but I assume you just want to add storage.
Yea just add storage. Now i have to figure out what slot the current ssd is in. If I should get a gen3 or 4 for speed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would guess that current drive is gen3, so if you decided to get gen4, you could move the original drive to the other slot (if it is in the gen4 slot). Of course, gen4 doesn't add much if it's just providing more space to put data. You could get a gen4 and clone your boot drive and software to it, and use the gen3 for data storage. Not sure the speed will be worth the effort..:)

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,552 Posts
I would go with an Sk gold P31. They are on sale at amazon right now. And it is basically the fastest Gen 3 ssd you can get. Trades blows with some gen 4 ssds in load times. And it is one of the most power efficient. So it is perfect for laptops.

• Rep+
Reactions: olllian

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would guess that current drive is gen3, so if you decided to get gen4, you could move the original drive to the other slot (if it is in the gen4 slot). Of course, gen4 doesn't add much if it's just providing more space to put data. You could get a gen4 and clone your boot drive and software to it, and use the gen3 for data storage. Not sure the speed will be worth the effort..:)
Whats the easiest way to clone a ssd ? Dose the O.s still work perfectly after a clone?? If I decide to go with a faster ssd to have os on. Thx

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Unless you've got a million and one programs which require online activation, I'd do a clean install on the new SSD. That said, if you're just after storage space, just leave the OS on the current NVMe, pop in a second as storage.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
I would go with an Sk gold P31. They are on sale at amazon right now. And it is basically the fastest Gen 3 ssd you can get. Trades blows with some gen 4 ssds in load times. And it is one of the most power efficient. So it is perfect for laptops.
+2 that. I have the P31 Gold in my laptop, its nutzo fast and gives amazing battery life! TRIM works great and absolutely no complaints!

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,552 Posts
A lot of people use Macrium reflect free edition. Or Clonezilla. To clone their ssds. However i do believe that SK also has a data migration tool. That you can download off their site.

It might be best to do a clean install if you don't have too many things installed on your system.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Unless you've got a million and one programs which require online activation, I'd do a clean install on the new SSD. That said, if you're just after storage space, just leave the OS on the current NVMe, pop in a second as storage.
That's completely unnecessary. All the migration tools out there do a perfect job of migrating the partitions between drives.

OP: are you fine with the 2nd SSD being a separate drive letter that you move files to, or do you need to expand your existing filesystem to the new drive?

What are your main apps/games, or what is consuming most of your space (music/photos?) and do you feel comfortable locating those on a different drive?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts