Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that sucks... i bought the (2) 120Gs for only $100 after MIR and just couldn't justify the cost for the 34 gig Raptor.

anyone know a guide how i can RAID 0 both these hard drives bcuz i don't have a single clue...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by zother
Does your board sopport RAID 0??
i'm currently in process of building up my new computer, but here's what i got in mind...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...116-185&DEPA=0
Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 520 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-481&depa=0
MSI "865PE Neo3-F" i865PE

For faster burns and practicality, would it be better to return one of the 120G drives and trade it for a Raptor??? That way, I can load my OS and applications on the Raptor and put all my OSI files on the 120 gig hard drive....

OR,

would it be faster if I loaded my OS and applications on the 120 gig drive and ONLY used my Raptor for burning and ripping DVDs? this way, the 120 gig will run the OS and all that crap and the Raptor would be able to LIGHTNING fast for the DVD thing....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyM3
i'm currently in process of building up my new computer, but here's what i got in mind...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...116-185&DEPA=0
Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 520 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-481&depa=0
MSI "865PE Neo3-F" i865PE

For faster burns and practicality, would it be better to return one of the 120G drives and trade it for a Raptor??? That way, I can load my OS and applications on the Raptor and put all my OSI files on the 120 gig hard drive....

OR,

would it be faster if I loaded my OS and applications on the 120 gig drive and ONLY used my Raptor for burning and ripping DVDs? this way, the 120 gig will run the OS and all that crap and the Raptor would be able to LIGHTNING fast for the DVD thing....
First the MSI does not sopport RAID. Second I would go with the a 36 raptor and a 120 for a second drive. Third I would load the OS and apps on the raptor and use the 120 for ISO. Keep in mind that you wont to be sure that your optical drives and HD are on diffrent IDE channels for max performance.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
This is the first time I've ever seen someone try to compare 240GB to 34GB...You're not really comparing apples to apples. The 10,000rpm drive is certainly going to be faster, but the 7200rpm config has 8x the storage. So it's all a matter of what is most important to you and what you want to spend your money on, raw speed or gross storage capacity.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I had been completely unable to justify the purchase of a raptor until recently. I have not purchased one yet but am seriously considering. I've played counter-strike with a good ping, PC, video card etc and wondered why I always get to the game after the start of the first match when like 10 others are already playing and have to sit it out. I have been told that its the raptor which makes map loading much faster. I want to play that first match! So chances are I will get a 74gig raptor.... but that is AFTER i buy my second 200giger... i'm a space freak...

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by setite

I had been completely unable to justify the purchase of a raptor until recently. I have not purchased one yet but am seriously considering. I've played counter-strike with a good ping, PC, video card etc and wondered why I always get to the game after the start of the first match when like 10 others are already playing and have to sit it out. I have been told that its the raptor which makes map loading much faster. I want to play that first match! So chances are I will get a 74gig raptor.... but that is AFTER i buy my second 200giger... i'm a space freak...

A raptor + a 120GB 7200rpm drive would be a nice setup. Use your raptor for the OS, pagefile, games and apps and use the 120GB for mp3s, video, photos and such. You should notice a difference in map load times. Going from 512MB to 1GB of RAM also helped my load times.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I have the 34g Raptor... just very much wish I had broke the bank and got the 74g.

34g Raptor = ballbearings
74g " = fluid bearing
Both = 4.5 seek almost/about 2x faster than conv SATA or IDE
SATA + OC = PITA (Pain in the A$$)

BTW the 74s are about $175

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyM3

that sucks... i bought the (2) 120Gs for only $100 after MIR and just couldn't justify the cost for the 34 gig Raptor.

anyone know a guide how i can RAID 0 both these hard drives bcuz i don't have a single clue...

Don't think you want to try RAID dissimular drives!

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by setite

I dont know, I always get there for the first round with my 7200rpm 80gig SATA.

·
Registered
299 Posts
mate go for the bigger one. unless u are dieng for that extra 2800 rpm dont bother dude dont vbother at all

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
its not just the rpm people go for, its the seek time as well

·
Banned
789 Posts
I rock a pair of the 74 gig Raptors and they absolutely burn, never in my life been more pleased with a hard drive. Increased load times on everything, and most programs are on my screen ready to run seemingly before I even click on them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts