Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2 4890s cost less than 1 5870 and, according to TomsHardware, perform much better and cost less. ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...70,2491-5.html ) The only thing that is stopping me from going the 2x 4890s route is that they are old and lack DirectX 11. What do you guys think? In case you needed to know, by the way, the build the graphics card(s) will be in is an Asus Extreme Rampage II mobo, Antec 1200 with replaced fans for extra airflow, a 920 OCd past 4 on air, and 3 SSDs in RAID. I don't know if that makes a difference in the decision or not. Also, if you guys happen to suggest that I get a 5870, the only one in stock at Newegg that is always in stock is the XFX card. I want to do this build as soon as possible, but Vapor-X won't be in stock until January 2010. Is this card going to be loud if I get the XFX? Will it be of different quality? Is it worth the wait to get the Vapor-X? Is there any other trusted website that has a graphics card in stock that you would suggest over the XFX? Thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you arent gonna get a second 5870 in the future, get two 5770's costs less than a 5870 and performance is equal in some games, and in others the two 5770's eat the 5870 alive.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Well that depends if cost or looking to the future...

The 4890s in crossfire is a little faster... and i have that set up... it is great... However the cons are power(two 4890s consume ALOT more power than a single 5870), it only has DX10.1 support, overall heat generated and takes up two slots on your comp...

A single 5870 is more expensive, not as fast as two 4890s in crossfire.. But has the advantages of consuming less power, DX11 support, Eyefinity and future proofs your PC for a couple of years....

If money ISN'T a object...get the 5870.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
well
1. yes i heard that 2 4890 are better than 1 5870
2. if you really want that DX11 support then go with the 5870 other than that just get the extra 4870
3. XFX are loud i have an XFX 4890 and the thing is loud and well its a hot card so if you are willing to wait then do so the vapors a quiet and cool if i had the $$$ i would just wait

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Get the latest tech you can now if you can afford it I say. Then later on down the road if the card is still a viable option get a second one since the prices will be greatly reduced.

DX11 would be a biggie in my consideration for a new card.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
I also am looking at getting a 5870. But now that you mentioned it. Would 2x 5770>5870? I might or might not get a second 5870 because I want to wait and see the prices on Nvidia's 300 series.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soth7676
View Post

The 4890s in crossfire is a little faster... and i have that set up... it is great... However the cons are power(two 4890s consume ALOT more power than a single 5870), it only has DX10.1 support, overall heat generated and takes up two slots on your comp...

A single 5870 is more expensive, not as fast as two 4890s in crossfire.. But has the advantages of consuming less power, DX11 support, Eyefinity and future proofs your PC for a couple of years....

^^ this. 2 4890's is an awesomely cheap setup for the performance you get--2 will run you about $360, which is actually cheaper than a 5870, but is still faster. if you aren't worried about the new bells and whistles that the 5xxx series have, and are interested in the fastest thing to buy with ~400 right this very moment then go for them. either way, though, you won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
2 HD4890s are on par with a GTX295 and the GTX295 and HD5870 trade blows and also with a HD5870 you will have more steady FPS. with CF and sli the FPS dips a lot.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I had to RMA my 4870 that I got for around $110 used. So I got a 4890 for 180 during a cyber Monday and for $290 I think it will be a good combo. My next purchase will be three very nice monitors so I can do eyefinity down the road when it is supported by crossfire. If I have to wait for the 6xxx series then so be it.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
It all depends on if you think DX11 is a big deal. The performance hit from DX11 is going to make a 5870 not look that impressive. So then it comes down to if you have to pay your power bill and if you're willing to pay $3-4 a month more on your power bill for two cards instead of one.

You can always buy a single 4890 and use that until 5xxx cards come down in price.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soth7676
View Post

This

1 - 11 of 11 Posts