Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reading alot of hype over te P4 2.4's, I picked one up just to check it out. Man these things do overclock like mad, and Ive just chipped the iceburge.
I dont have the famous Prescott 2.4A, but I do have the 2.4C Northwood. Although the clock isnt quite what most have gotten too, im happy with the results.

Currently the system is running @ 3.18 fsb=265.4 x12 for a grand total of 1061.6 bus speed. My ram(cheapo patriot pc3200) running at 224.6 on a 5:4 divider with 2.5-3-3-7 timings.

This is all done with an Ultra 600watt PSU, ASUS P4P800 E Deluxe, 2.4c 800mhz northwood CPU w/stock HSF, Patriot signiture series Pc3200 2x512 ram, cheapo Gforce 200 GPU, 40 gig ide drive, and a lite on CDWR in a super old Gateway 2000 tower that has been moddified to fit the board and PSU.

As soon as I can get some better ram Im sure this sucker will go alot further.

Heres some screen shots.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
the 2.4C are also quite "famous." i think they got more attention than the 2.4A. any of the C type P4's overclocked like crazy. my old 2.8C held at 3.8Ghz on a wimpy zalman 7000-cu without any problems. would have tried to go higher but i sold it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
Well I have a 2.4 Northy too..but I've been told I won't be able to get past 2.8 because of my stepping? Heres a CPU-Z screenshot. With XP-90 and Panaflo92mm cooling how much do you think I could do? HS is arriving any day
! I'd like to hear any comments about this CPU, and i hope I can at least push 3GHZ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,994 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kopi

Well I have a 2.4 Northy too..but I've been told I won't be able to get past 2.8 because of my stepping? Heres a CPU-Z screenshot. With XP-90 and Panaflo92mm cooling how much do you think I could do? HS is arriving any day
! I'd like to hear any comments about this CPU, and i hope I can at least push 3GHZ.

It's probably your mobo holding you back.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
I was told it was my stepping? Which I have no clue what that is. Well, I guess now that I know it's holding me back, I'm one of those kinds of people that needs to know why! If you could let me know, just not good or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
Nice i have the famouse 2.4A Pressy and i will be overclocking it with my new motherboard this friday, i really cant wait to hit 4.0 most likley with it
, thats some good oc though, good job
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
I was told it was my stepping? Which I have no clue what that is. Well, I guess now that I know it's holding me back, I'm one of those kinds of people that needs to know why! If you could let me know, just not good or what?

In addition to my last post I'd like to ask what are some good features to look into when getting a new motherboad this summer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:


the 2.4C are also quite "famous." i think they got more attention than the 2.4A. any of the C type P4's overclocked like crazy. my old 2.8C held at 3.8Ghz on a wimpy zalman 7000-cu without any problems. would have tried to go higher but i sold it.

I was thinking of getting a 2.8c just to see if it could do well. I bet that was a smoken system.

Quote:


The Northwood 2.4c is also a beast as you can tell those chips Rule

Yeah Im thinking so, they may not clock as high as the 2.4A but they make up for it with the HT and the Bus speed IMO.

Quote:


Well I have a 2.4 Northy too..but I've been told I won't be able to get past 2.8 because of my stepping? Heres a CPU-Z screenshot. With XP-90 and Panaflo92mm cooling how much do you think I could do? HS is arriving any day! I'd like to hear any comments about this CPU, and i hope I can at least push 3GHZ.

Im not sure on your stepping but your v-core is way higher then mine. I was lucky and got the MO stepping plus a low voltage CPU to boot.

Quote:


Nice i have the famouse 2.4A Pressy and i will be overclocking it with my new motherboard this friday, i really cant wait to hit 4.0 most likley with it , thats some good oc though, good job

Yeah that would be sweet, Id never hit that with this one, the darn bus speed would be something like 1333.3333333333333333, LOL not happening.

Quote:


In addition to my last post I'd like to ask what are some good features to look into when getting a new motherboad this summer?

My addvice would probably be to move onto 775 stuff, unless you just want to tinker with the older stuff(like me LOL) but what I looked for was items that other people had good success with(Why I got the board I did) plus the kinda options you wanted(overclocking baby YEAH) and what have you. Just do some reading and take notes, this way when the time comes to purchase you know exactly what you want. Easier said then done but thats how I do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
lol i would agree. dont get a new motherboard for your socket 478 chip. buy a new chip altogether. if you are a gamer then for sure go for an AMD though, not an intel. another plus about going for an AMD is that they are suposed to be cutting the prices this April so, if i were you, i'd go for the opteron series as that is what i am doing. IMO an opteron 165 socket 939 would be pretty nice as they overclock well, but are also dual-core, and by the summer they will have started programming games for dualcore. just my ten cents hope it helped out
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
891 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Roxter

lol i would agree. dont get a new motherboard for your socket 478 chip. buy a new chip altogether. if you are a gamer then for sure go for an AMD though, not an intel. another plus about going for an AMD is that they are suposed to be cutting the prices this April so, if i were you, i'd go for the opteron series as that is what i am doing. IMO an opteron 165 socket 939 would be pretty nice as they overclock well, but are also dual-core, and by the summer they will have started programming games for dualcore. just my ten cents hope it helped out


they actually just jacked up the prices for opterons, as they want people to buy the chips they designed for home PCs (athlon)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kopi

Well I have a 2.4 Northy too..but I've been told I won't be able to get past 2.8 because of my stepping? Heres a CPU-Z screenshot. With XP-90 and Panaflo92mm cooling how much do you think I could do? HS is arriving any day
! I'd like to hear any comments about this CPU, and i hope I can at least push 3GHZ.

That looks like a 2.4B.

It's 2.4As and 2.4Bs that overclock well. Ahh... I see that the 2.4C has less multi... I'd surely like some of that. My multi is 18, and that doesn't give me high FSB. But it sure does give me nice overclock! w00t!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zipnogg

That looks like a 2.4B.

It's 2.4As and 2.4Bs that overclock well. Ahh... I see that the 2.4C has less multi... I'd surely like some of that. My multi is 18, and that doesn't give me high FSB. But it sure does give me nice overclock! w00t!

The C's generally OC higer than the B's.

@ Kopi, you don't have a good stepping, the Cx isn't a good stepping at all (really it's one of the worst
) but you can still probably hit 3+GHz, though Not2Bad is correct, you don't have the greatest motherboard.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
Good to hear, all i was looking for was 3GhZ. Thanks guys, quick replies! 4 in 20 minutes is awesome. I'll let you know how I do. Coudl you explain what exactly stepping is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Kopi, in a motherboard close to you and our almost exact specifications, I'm running at 3.06GHz right now! On a 1:1 CPU/RAM Ratio! Stepping, if I am right, is like a "batch" or "model" and I guess they get worked on/looked at just to make some minor changed. Im not tauting, but I have a 2.4A with the best stepping and goodies. It's kind of easy to come by one.

Watch your voltage, by the way! And Safe Overclocking!

EDIT: Was looking for the right word, and I found it! A revision of the CPU = Stepping in my mind.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
Thanks Shenangngnaniningnnignan. I'll let you guys know how it goes...still waiting for my HSF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dinked around on the 2.4c today and got it a little bit higher, this chip is awsome!!!!

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
You're revision is different along with your stepping, but I hope i can reach that! Is that your max? Your multiplier is also 12, mine is 18
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,753 Posts
The 2.4A is a poor performer with high pipeline and no HT vs a 2.4C with lower pipeline and HT. The 2.4C is a far better processor both in terms of overclocking and in terms of actual usage. The 1MB cache of the 2.4A is completely castrated by the 31 stage pipeline running below 4GHz+ and in almost all cases tick for tick will lose out to the 2.4C at the same frequency (overclocked or not) until 4.0Ghz+ is reached and not many 2.4's make past ~3.4 - 3.6GHz.

There are exceptions to any rule and so yes, there are a "few" 2.4A's that can make 4.0GHz but still they will not have HT.

R
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top