Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get 2 hard drives to split up my games in a RVZ02 Case that uses 2.5in hard drives. Is there really any difference other then heat. Can i use them or will they be slow

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi @TMatzelle60!

Yes, you can use the 2.5" drives and they should do just fine with the gaming.
smile.gif

As for the differences, except for the heat you've mentioned there are few more differences between the 2.5" and the 3.5" drives:

1. They use less power (by few watts, but still).
2. Often they are less noisy (at least compared to performance optimized ones).
3. They take up less space (but outside of portable PCs and SSD it is irrelevant).

Other than that there really isn't a big different between 2.5" and 3.5". 3.5" drives have the higher capacities, but a lot of enterprise use 2.5" because they are physically smaller so it keeps appliances physical smaller.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
smile.gif

·
Registered
112 Posts
They also are a lot slower : while 3.5" drives peak at over 200MB/s the smaller drives rarely pass 120MB/s. I assume you want them in a raid 0 matrix?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i use a SSD do i have to move user folder. I will only have downloads once i am done that will be deleted. Also in My documents ill have game configs. All my games will be on another sad

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatzelle60 View Post

If i use a SSD do i have to move user folder. I will only have downloads once i am done that will be deleted. Also in My documents ill have game configs. All my games will be on another sad
No, you don't have to do anything.

·
Go Again!
5,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post

They also are a lot slower : while 3.5" drives peak at over 200MB/s the smaller drives rarely pass 120MB/s. I assume you want them in a raid 0 matrix?
The 2.5mm (non-hybrid) drives have 32mb cache max vs 64mb+ on newer 3.5mm drives. I assume that plays a roll as well as 2.5 drives being designed with battery life in mind.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:

TC,

I mean if nothing is getting stored there then i don't see a reason to.
You don't need to. Period. Not for any reason. Just use the solid state drive and enjoy it. Don't try to avoid writing to it. You're not writing hundreds of gigabytes to it every day, so don't worry about it. You're just a retail customer. So, you can relax and enjoy it the same as you would a hard drive.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OH ok i was just wondering since the Optimization i will be getting 1tb which is a lot and probably will take forever to fill up since its only for games maybe 1-5 games at one time just don't want to have problems

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:

OH ok i was just wondering since the Optimization i will be getting 1tb which is a lot and probably will take forever to fill up since its only for games maybe 1-5 games at one time just don't want to have problems
Why would you have problems? What kind of problems could you possibly have?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:

I just hear people say move the user folder off to another drive. I mean why would people say that
Because they mistakenly believe that you have to minimize writes to the solid state drive. People go overboard with trying to minimize writes to their solid state drive when in reality, you don't have to worry about it.

• Rep+
Reactions: TMatzelle60

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:

Thanks TC, Thanks very much rest my head now knowing what i can get
You're welcome!

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,777 Posts
On the hard drive topic, I think the latency is much more of an issue than the sequential read/writes because most things are random in nature. This is the area that hard drives are very slow.

The small platter reduces top end speed for sure.

I have to give a huge +1 to TwoCables. Just use your SSD you are unlikely to burn it out from overuse and most games are read heavy anyway.

For comparison here is a slightly older WDC Blue 2.5 inch 5400rmp drive on HDTune. I do not think it is too bad since earlier 1TB drives are just as slow(I just use it for video recording anyway). Ignore the high cpu usage the system is not idle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts