Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm planning on purchasing these components ASAP. I'm 90% sure they will all be compatible with each other, however I want your confirmation. Will the PSU (750w) provide enough power? Will I need any extra cables (SATA, power, etc.) to make everything work (including the front IO)?

I'm planning on running dual 23" 1080p monitors via DVI, to do lots of video editing/rendering, and I also want to get into some gaming. I also sometimes run Virtual Machines, so I have chosen a large amount of RAM. With this in mind, what do you think of the components?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Get a 2500k instead and save yourself $100. And I would personally go with an Intel SSD over OCZ as Intel's SSD's are currently the most reliable.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0;14196096
Get a 2500k instead and save yourself $100. And I would personally go with an Intel SSD over OCZ as Intel's SSD's are currently the most reliable.
I think crucial ssd's are the best bang for your buck. I love my c300.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Where do you live? Those prices aren't very good. Perhaps we can help you save some money.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472;14196331
Where do you live? Those prices aren't very good. Perhaps we can help you save some money.
Hi! I'm in Australia and using PC Case Gear (who are within distance of me to pick up = no delivery charges). I'm happy to shop around for different components, if anyone has any retailers they know of?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samywamy10;14196347
Hi! I'm in Australia and using PC Case Gear (who are within distance of me to pick up = no delivery charges). I'm happy to shop around for different components, if anyone has any retailers they know of?
Sorry, I was thinking the prices were US dollars. Hopefully, someone else can chime in and maybe clue you in to a sale or two. Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472;14196371
Sorry, I was thinking the prices were US dollars. Hopefully, someone else can chime in and maybe clue you in to a sale or two. Good luck with your build!
You'd think it'd be cheaper due to the AU dollar worth more than the US dollar, and with China etc. being geographically closer...anyway
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have 8gb of 1866mhz ddr3 ram and it is too much. You don't need more than 6gb of ram. When I was playing crysis even 4 was fine, but I noticed a speed improvement when I bumped up to 8. I would suggest going with no more than 8gb.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidity;14196392
I have 8gb of 1866mhz ddr3 ram and it is too much. You don't need more than 6gb of ram. When I was playing crysis even 4 was fine, but I noticed a speed improvement when I bumped up to 8. I would suggest going with no more than 8gb.
I sometimes run Virtual Machines, which require a lot of RAM.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You are paying too much. Look at my sig rig...and i did not spend 2500. Shop around. Find deals. Unless you are in a hurry and have to buy everything form the same place.

All that said...I live in the US and do not know what your situation is in AUS so that very well could be the best you can do price wise.

Best of luck to you.

EDIT: Didn't realize they were not US dollars. I am an idiot, my bad.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisryan503;14196442
You are paying too much. Look at my sig rig...and i did not spend 2500. Shop around. Find deals. Unless you are in a hurry and have to buy everything form the same place.

All that said...I live in the US and do not know what your situation is in AUS so that very well could be the best you can do price wise.

Best of luck to you.

EDIT: Didn't realize they were not US dollars. I am an idiot, my bad.
$2,538 AUD = $2,697.84 USD

Yeah, I think these are too expensive. I'm currently awaiting verification at an Australian forum who can hopefully point me in the right way with prices.

But any opinion on the components I've selected is welcome!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I used to live in Australia before I lived in China, and I definitely found that PCCaseGear had some of the best price offerings... However sometimes http://msy.com.au/ has some pretty good deals. Just look on their catalog to see what the have got and then go to the store nearest to you to pick up the parts.

And Australia is EXTREMELY overpriced, as in both Hong Kong and newegg, you could find the i7-920 at one time for $300, but then in Australia when I was looking around it was $500! :/

Personally, I would go for these parts... Just check to see if any suppliers have them...
i7-2600K
Asus P8P67 Pro
G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3/1600
Zotac GeForce GTX 580 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB in RAID 0

whatever blu-ray stuff you want
Antec High-Current Gamer 620W
whatever case you fancy
Thermalright Silver Arrow

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbyday;14196509
Do they do price matching?
I don't think so, they don't mention it. You'd think it'd be in big red letters in size 200 on the front page if they did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristo;14196512
Where in aus you from ? sydney ?
Melbourne.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts