Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so ive seen an article saying the Raid striping of 2 hard drives isnt really helpful... So i was wondering how much of a performance hit im going to suffer by putting my raptors in Raid-1 vs. Raid-0
Thanks

Oh and also, does anyone know if WD plans on making a larger Raptor? 74 GB is pretty big but... I MUST HAVE MORE hehehhehe

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
There are no plans to make larger raptors yet...

Most often what happens is someone buys a raptor for their "C" drive and partitions it C: for OS, D: for games...THEN they buy a larger slower drive for storing music, files, etc..(games and OS are the only things that really require such a low seektime)

As for RAID, you got me...I am not familiar with it at all, have you searched the forum for "RAID guide", I am sure someone has written one.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah i know... i actually filled up my dang C drive with games and program files. I have 300GB of external hard drive space hehe. And i know what RAID does but i need some expert advice on whether teh stripe is worth it. Someone gave an article saying the stripe for performance gain isnt really all that its cracked up to be. I need to know if the performance lost with non-stripe along with the performance loss of mirroring drives would be something to worry about.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo420

Raid 0 is mirroring the two drives. Striping(raid 1) will get your games to load faster.

Are you sure...i thought it was the other way round...

Raid 0 is stripe
Raid 1 is mirror

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol yah it is the other way around and this article i foudn that was posted here shows that game loading times are pretty much the same thing

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Yeah, i think there is very little 'real world' performance gain from raid0. Its mostly benchmarks that show the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo420

My bad it is the other way around

It's getting confusing so just to clarify it.

RAID 0 - Data Stripping (Performance)
RAID 1 - Mirroring (Data Protection)

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
yes thats right evil

and Its really a taste thing... some SWARE by raid stripping others think its bull

on thing i'd say is... its not the safest for the small performace gain

because your info could get caught in between the drives and u'd be f$%^ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts