Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a new HTPC build and am trying to figure out my cable management, I'm wondering if it is safe to run two 80mm exhaust fans off of a single motherboard fan header? The fans are "Nexus Real Silent Case Fans". There rated at 10.2~13.8 volts, 0.15 Amp Max input current, & 1.8 Watts Max input power. I've read where most mobo fan headers are 0.5 Amp, but I really don't know this for sure. Anyway, do you guys think it would be safe? or could I end up burning out the fan header?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ric2L
View Post

I'm starting a new HTPC build and am trying to figure out my cable management, I'm wondering if it is safe to run two 80mm exhaust fans off of a single motherboard fan header? The fans are "Nexus Real Silent Case Fans". There rated at 10.2~13.8 volts, 0.15 Amp Max input current, & 1.8 Watts Max input power. I've read where most mobo fan headers are 0.5 Amp, but I really don't know this for sure. Anyway, do you guys think it would be safe? or could I end up burning out the fan header?

If they work no harm done.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ric2L
View Post

I'd really hate to find out that it doesnt work by burning out the headers, or worse the mobo. Would be an expensive test!

Why not just buy some moelx to 3pin adapters. That will work even better.

·
Registered
264 Posts
According to Asus P5QL pro manual:
"The fan connectors support cooling fans of 350 mA~2000 mA(24 W max) or a total of 1 A~7 A(84 W max)at +12V"
Your Asus mobo is better than mine so...
Your 2 fans combined use 3.6W & 0.3 A,so you are safe!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PERSPOLIS
View Post

According to Asus P5QL pro manual:
"The fan connectors support cooling fans of 350 mA~2000 mA(24 W max) or a total of 1 A~7 A(84 W max)at +12V"
Your Asus mobo is better than mine so...
Your 2 fans combined use 3.6W & 0.3 A,so you are safe!

Thats the way I was figuring it myself just wanted to get another poinion and make sure.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts