Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTQyLDM=

I knew there was I reason I picked up a second card! It goes in tonight. I'm looking forward to testing benches.

HardOCP really vindicates SLI because they test actual game performance rather than just benches.

There are a couple of areas the 512 is better but for sheer FPS, dual 7800GT's rule.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Yeah they sure are better, just think about that. 2 7800GTs should be the strength of (I know this isnt exact but bear with me):

2x20 Pipes = 40 Pipelines
2x256 Ram = 512 Ram

Also, two cards means two sets of speeds. Its almost like running dual channel with videocards, just with more pipes.
Real world performance isnt as strong as stated above, but its not too far away.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
I would expect it to, as it's kind of like having 2 6800's in SLI, they are faster together in SLI then a single 6800Ultra...

But also, the 780GT is no slow card, and it's the 512mb's younger brother, so I would not expect the 512 to be twice as fast as a single 7800GT

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar

HardOCP really vindicates SLI because they test actual game performance rather than just benches.

So does toms hardware and my friends cousins site siliconfactor.com ....not that awsome

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I'm a big fan of Tom's as well. However, when you start talking SLI benefits on this site, there are certain "members" that are very much in the opinion that benches aren't real world testing etc.

Incidently ram doesn't add together in SLI.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't forget that in "current" SLi setups, one card is only running at 8x, not 16x.

So 2x7800GT would be giving 30 pipelines at 24x, not 40 pipes at 32x.

You need an ASUS A8N32-SLI board (or anyone coming out after that which offers dual 16x pcie) to get the "full" benefit of 16x2 PCIe. Which is why I bought it in this new setup.

But that's not to say that reg SLi PCIe isn't fast.... it's damn fast.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
No wonder the Asus performed better, it's the equivilent of 4 7800GTs...

And the BFGs performed better because they were set to "High", while the 512 GTX was set to Ultra.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienGamerLT

Don't forget that in "current" SLi setups, one card is only running at 8x, not 16x.

So 2x7800GT would be giving 30 pipelines at 24x, not 40 pipes at 32x.

You need an ASUS A8N32-SLI board (or anyone coming out after that which offers dual 16x pcie) to get the "full" benefit of 16x2 PCIe. Which is why I bought it in this new setup.

But that's not to say that reg SLi PCIe isn't fast.... it's damn fast.

Your mixing bandwidth with hardware.
Current pci-e runs both cards at 8x OR both cards at 16x (with the 32x boards),
Running 2 cards in sli does give you double the hardware strength...just not double the bandwidth on most motherboards.
It Would be 40 pipes at 16x or 40 pipes at 32x depending on the mb.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The review I linked indicated that they use the Asus A8N32-SLI for testing of cards. HardOCP was one of the main reasons I bought the A8N32 board, knowing I intended to go continue SLI.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
You will see at most 10% of a speed increase from SLI to SLI X16, bandwidth at 16x or even 8x speeds is NOT an issue at all with any modern card, PCIe X16 was not really needed at the time it came out and is still arguable not REALLY NEEDED because 7800s and even the upcoming 7900 with 32 pipelines at 700+MHz clockspeed would still do fine in an 8x environment, though PCIex16 and SLI X16 will start to show real benefits with the G71 IMO (thats why I got a P5N32-SLI Deluxe SLI X16 board
better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coming from a member with the intel version of my board, I can see we are on the same page lol. I'll try the better safe than sorry one myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts