Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as my title says, I'm having some big problems with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit. I just installed this OS, upgrading from Windows XP Pro. My first problem is, everything is just really, really slower then in XP. Things are opening slower, and it's annoying to me. Now I'm not talking like 10 second delays, I'm talking like 30 seconds and such. Now I know that Vista comes preloaded with a bunch of security crap that runs in the background, and some of it, well, maybe it's not so useful, or can be disabled. I know there's been guides and such of things like "How to tweak Vista to increase performance". Well, I'm looking for a step in the right direction to get this thing going faster. Any links to guides, or your own tips would be appreciated.

My next problem, is that whenever I installed Vista, I think it kept all my old from XP. Now I have 2 hard drives, one with my OS and games, the other holds everything else (Music, movies, pictures, etc..). When I installed the new OS, I unplugged my storage drive, to steer away from any problems that may cause. As soon as it was done installing however, I went to my computer, and it says that I have 30GB/120GB of free space. Now I'm sitting here thinking, man Vista doesn't take up that much space. And then I go into it, and sure enough I have all my old files from XP. So what I want to know is this a major problem? Will it slow my performance? And is there a way I can remove the ones I don't need?

Any help would be much appreciated, giving +rep for the help.

Freeebeer


EDIT: This is what my drive with the OS looks like.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
One thing to do is turn off UAC if you haven't, it gets really annoying. Go to Control Panel > Windows Security Center > Other Security Settings and turn off User Account Control, it just asks you to confirm every single action on your computer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
if you are upgrading all your old files will be there. if you format it will either put the old os in a folder call old...., if done right(reformating) you delete the partition and recreat it, which i recommend you do.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
375 Posts
Black viper tweak it. I tried Vista and hated it, once I found out about black viper, I fell in love with Vista. Sec I will find the links
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
375 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by FaceCannon
View Post

Ive done all that... lol

HeHe, yea but the op might not have


And I did my Lappy under "msconfig", and my desktop with "services.msc" . so both ways are safe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,612 Posts
after you're done copying whatever you need from windows.old, right click on c drive (alpha) choose disk cleanup, and check previous windows installation....this will delete you xp installation and free up some space
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

after you're done copying whatever you need from windows.old, right click on c drive (alpha) choose disk cleanup, and check previous windows installation....this will delete you xp installation and free up some space

or just right click on windows old and delete it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
I found vista slow at first but I found it sped up after the learning period. plus since I overclocked it is smooth as butter. Still want a 2x2gb kit though
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,332 Posts
I made a guide here on OCN. Link in sig.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
375 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

after you're done copying whatever you need from windows.old, right click on c drive (alpha) choose disk cleanup, and check previous windows installation....this will delete you xp installation and free up some space


I love your avatar, but I tell U that every time I C it, LoL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by AMDCAMARO
View Post

hmm, go into C drive and start deleting? Then do the standard disc clean up and defrag. just my


for the most part no!! delete throught add remove programs, the if you want delete the folders of the apps you just uninstalled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Aaroman
View Post

I found vista slow at first but I found it sped up after the learning period. plus since I overclocked it is smooth as butter. Still want a 2x2gb kit though

yeah i went from 4 1gb sticks now have 2 2gb sticks and its amazing the difference?? no idea why but there was a difference for me
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
375 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by noobdown
View Post

for the most part no!! delete throught add remove programs, the if you want delete the folders of the apps you just uninstalled.


That is what the ? mark was for, that is the way I do it, but I R old....
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top