Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I am looking for an upgrade for the 8800GT I currently have in my computer.

Unfortunately I am pretty limited in what I can fit in my case. Right now I have an Antec Fusion which I am using for a HTPC mainly for gaming and high def movies. Unfortunately I can only fit a card that is 9" long at the most and it must be a single slot solution. My motherboard is mATX so I cant do crossfire or SLI unfortunately.

Does anyone know what cards are out right now that utilize 2 GPUs on one board?

I know of the 9800GX2 and the 4870x2 but both are too long.

Any ideas for other options?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
I believe the best card that could fit would be a HD4870 since I think it is 9".

However, you'll need some custom cooling for it...

·
Registered
673 Posts
hmmmm 2 gpus on a board usually means a big card

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I believe the best card that could fit would be a HD4870 since I think it is 9".

However, you'll need some custom cooling for it...
This should work: http://www.petrastechshop.com/ththegpuco.html

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
That's 9" long so it may extend the length of the card too much.
Weird, from what I have seen it is the same length of the 4870 once mounted.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for all of the quick responses.

I don't have a pic of my computer right now (Im at work) but I found an identical case and motherboard pic in google. My card right now is taking up the middle two expansion slots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ec_Fusion2.jpg

I could take a dremel and make some room towards the hard drive bays but I think the card will completely cover my SATA ports on the board then.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canada Guy View Post
Wow, thanks for all of the quick responses.

I don't have a pic of my computer right now (Im at work) but I found an identical case and motherboard pic in google. My card right now is taking up the middle two expansion slots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ec_Fusion2.jpg

I could take a dremel and make some room towards the hard drive bays but I think the card will completely cover my SATA ports on the board then.
Yeah... time to get a new mobo.

The longer cards need 10.5" of clearence. Also, is there vertical room for the PCIe plug to stick out from the card's side?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Just a thought, but do you have enough rig to support a card upgrade? Seems like the card you have is about right for your setup. Won't you have a bit of a cpu bottleneck if you upgrade to a 4870? Just thinking that a cpu upgrade may be a good idea first, then a new card.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vertical room...I didn't think of that...Hrrmm

Do all of the dual GPU cards have the power connector on the side?

I think I have maybe 5mm between the lid of the case and the side of my card now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuloran1 View Post
Just a thought, but do you have enough rig to support a card upgrade? Seems like the card you have is about right for your setup. Won't you have a bit of a cpu bottleneck if you upgrade to a 4870? Just thinking that a cpu upgrade may be a good idea first, then a new card.
Oh, I also forgot to mention I am planning on getting an E8400 to go along with a new card.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

I think I have maybe 5mm between the lid of the case and the side of my card now.
The 9800X2 card won't fit but the HD4870X2 PCIe plugs go in perpendicular to the PCB so it won't add any width to the card.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Quote:

9800gx2 has it on the sides.

how many sata drives you have? i think youll have 2 available sata ports to use.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
When I read the title I was thinking something else with the same numerical values, different nouns.
I thought that might get some peoples attention

Right now I have 2 SATA drives but I wanted to add another 2 thats why I didn't want to render the other two slots completely useless. I have a Thermaltake ND1 on my 8800GT right now which makes the 2 SATA connections pretty tight as is.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts