Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a couple of inexpensive bench cases and built a 3 tier case out of them that houses both my and my wife's water cooled systems. The bottom level is the PSs, the middle is the wife's system and the top is my system. It is all water cooled using a single geothermal loop. I would like to get rid of the PS that runs my wife's machine and run them both from my single Evga 1200 watt PS (or a higher watt unit if necessary). Is this even possible? can you just do a y connection off the 24 pin to plug both in.
I'd like to move my water pumps and such to the lower level with the PS to give the whole thing a cleaner look and I can't do that with 2 PSs.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have done it before, works fine.
The ps-on wire connects to both computers, and as long as either 1 of the computers is running, the psu stays on.

Only weirdness I remember is that the CPU fan kept running when one of the 2 computers was shutdown.

As for wattage, what cpus and what gpus?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So turning on one computer doesn't mean I have to turn on both computers. I figured they would either have to both be on or both be off. Cool.
Goota go upstair and find my kill-o-watts meter now.
thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I ran OCCT on both systems at the same time. 1020 watts draw total with the TV and some peripherals hooked to it as well. So I'm in the envelope for the 1200w PS.

Gilles3000 that box maxes at 425w so it would not do the job, but thanks for the link. I may get one just to see how they have it wired up inside.

·
Registered
819 Posts
So I ran OCCT on both systems at the same time. 1020 watts draw total with the TV and some peripherals hooked to it as well. So I'm in the envelope for the 1200w PS.

Gilles3000 that box maxes at 425w so it would not do the job, but thanks for the link. I may get one just to see how they have it wired up inside.
Unless I am mistaken, that is 425w for motherboard power only (so 24pin + CPU). You would be excluding the GPU's and other peripherals which would hook up directly to the PSU. Still may be over the limit as not sure what CPU's you have.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless I am mistaken, that is 425w for motherboard power only (so 24pin + CPU). You would be excluding the GPU's and other peripherals which would hook up directly to the PSU. Still may be over the limit as not sure what CPU's you have.
I ran the OCCT power supply burn in test which is supposed to max out both the CPU and GPU. But thinking about it that doesn't seem like enough power. 1 system is a ryzen [email protected] with a 1080ti, 2 SSDs, and 32Gb of DDR4-3000 ram. the other is a [email protected] with a 1080ti, 1 SSD, and 16Gb of DDR3-1600 ram. Plus I have 3 MCP-35x pumps running.
I may have to try a different stress test program. What is a good one that will totally max out a system?

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,878 Posts
that phanteks splitter setup will be close, but will work for you.

The ryzen chip wont use over 200watts unless you hit it HARD trying to get OVER 4ghz. Ive seen some results on gamersnexus that indicated a 170watt draw for 4ghz 8 core ryzen

That intel chip probably wont grab more than 120-140 watts.

Giving yourself around 25% overdraw just in case, that phantek thing might just be the solution for you.

Can you use a meter and clamp the cpu power wires on each system and see how much they really are drawing from those plugs?

Id be most worried for the PSU's 24pin plug, as it might have the 12v conenctions stressed a bit. Find out maximum draw for those wires, as some PSU's skimp on the gauge/size of the 24pin wires

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I get it now. Duh.
So I would plug in both CPU 8-pin connectors and then would use 1 8-pin and 1 4-pin for the C6H board and 1 4-pin for the Intel board. And of course the 24-pin. I will put the amp clamp on the CPU headers tomorrow.
I was just looking at the PSs and realized that the EVGA PS is a 1000w, not a 1200w so it might be close. I'll do a more accurate draw test tomorrow with only the PCs plugged into the kill-o-watt meter.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
Remember to take the rated efficiency of the PSU off the number you get from the kill a watt

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,878 Posts
the efficiency rating is very specific situation. At "X"% load, at "Y" temperature, and at "Z" voltage AC from the wall.

Most numbers are usually based on a 220-240v wall circuit for maximizing the numbers.

Very few power supplies openly show the big swing of efficiency from 220 to 120 AC voltage input

Be generous. So if it says 82% efficiency, Id do the numbers for 70% efficiency, for example.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phanteks even has a nice splitter board just for this purpose.

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWSPR.html
It is nice until I priced out $60 of extension cables for it. I’m surprised Phantek doesn’t have a cable kit for this. I need 2 cpu cables and no pci cables but the kit they have isn’t set up that way. Kinda dumb if you ask me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I emailed them and they sent me the part #s of the cables I needed. Everything arrived today. Not sure when i'm going to install it as I will have to do a total teardown to move the cooling system to the spot vacated by the second power supply. I guess I'll bend the clear tubing and swap it out for the PEX tubing that's in there now. Here's a pic of it now. Hopefully it will get prettier.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts