Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK dudes, I'm kinda stuck here. I have a program that requires internet access, but with Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, it just won't work even if I allow it with advanced rules or anything. So, I was wondering, since this program funcions with Sygate off, could I run another firewall at the same time?

While the other firewall is off, I don't want to be unsecured, so I want to run another firewall. Recources aren't a problem, since I will turn the second one of when I am done using the program. So,

Can I run 2 firewalls at the same time?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've never really had trouble with multiple firewalls. The only pain is if you need to open a port for an app, you have to do it on each firewall.

·
Banned
109 Posts
well id use one of them only it will do fine

sygate firewall
kerio firewall
zonealarm firewall
windows firewall
norton firewall
panda firewall
kaspersky firewall
ect...

i guess one of them will do fine for a home computer no one will hack you lol in case your a super hacker that have important information and fighting with other hacker.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
If you have a router you don't need a software firewall. Funny most people don't know that but it's stupidly redundant to have any software firewall running behind a NAT.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
True. And hardware firewalls are generally more secure. I think for the average user though, Windows Firewall is about as easy as it gets though.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Ive always said i hated zonealarm, but even I use it now lol, and sygate was bought out by symantec..so yeah, you might as well just use ZA, its not so bad

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Software firewalls are a joke...and ye Kobra ZA sucks...haha, unless you have a hardware firewall might as well run bare nekkid lol.....multiple proxy port scans have a way of sneaking in on a software based firewall....if it's done right, and there are a lot of smart jerks out there with nothing better to do.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think some of you guys are forgetting one of the main reasons for having a software firewall: to give programs on your computer access to the internet.

Yes, having a hardware firewall is one of the best things you can do, but, you still need to protect yourself from the dirties that get into your program through downloading of software and installing them.

Hardware firewall good keeping bad stuff on the internet out of your computer, and software firewall good at keeping things that get on your computer from opening up the back door to the internet.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by patman3d

I think some of you guys are forgetting one of the main reasons for having a software firewall: to give programs on your computer access to the internet.

Yes, having a hardware firewall is one of the best things you can do, but, you still need to protect yourself from the dirties that get into your program through downloading of software and installing them.

Hardware firewall good keeping bad stuff on the internet out of your computer, and software firewall good at keeping things that get on your computer from opening up the back door to the internet.

Point taken. But as long as you have good antivurus/spyware and some common (computer) sense, it shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts