Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I need to set up one network (shared files, and printer) with 2 computers being in 2 separate places.

What I have: ISP in both locations, 2 computers using WinXP SP2, and the printers.

I can probably get my client to get more equipment if deemed direly necessary for this to work.

The current network is set up like this: Computer A (main computer) is being shared with Computer B (going to location 2). Both of these are in the same location, going through one router.

What I need to do is, take Comp B to location 2 and somehow retain that network structure.

My client is moving to another location and would like to get the new location somewhat productive, while keeping the old location alive throughout the move.

My dads program does not, unfortunately, work on a server/client basis. The database files need to be continuously shared for the information to be updated.

I need Comp B to access those files from location 2 to Comp A at location 1.

How can I achieve this, with what I have, without Remote Connection?

·
Registered
227 Posts
i was gonna say set up a vpn, but not sure if you want to do that.
i was also gonna say remote connection or vnc or something, but that's a no go.

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
That is going to be alittle hard without remote software or something similar to a VPN.

You could set up your routers with DD-WRT and then enable them to do LAN/WAN mode (I sorta made that word up).

So the LAN's would be connected over a WAN, similar to how Corporate Routers connect.

·
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I need an extra component for this to work... hmm... Just let me know what exactly I need and I'll see if I can get the client to get it.

EDIT: What if I install Hamachi on both computers and psuedo-LAN them?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
You can do that. I routinely do that with friends (trusted of course). They can browse files on my pc hard drives, just like LAN sharing. I haven't tried a printer. Hamachi FTW!

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
look into hamachi. its free

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Yes Hamachi does work. I accidentally got one of my gaming buddies in trouble because I printed a a document to his printer. Found out the printer wasn't his, it was his dad's, lol. So I can vouche for it....Hamachi does work for file and printer sharing.

• Rep+
Reactions: legoman786

·
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Hamachi it is, until both computers share a router again.

Thanks to all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts