16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im inquiring about my build its as follows at the moment

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP7
I7 2600K 3.4MHZ - OCD TO 4.2MHZ
2 KINGSTON 2GB RAM
1 KINGSTON 8GB RAM
1 KINGSTON 4GB RAM
2 GTX 275 sli < should i upgrade these? to new or just use 1?
1 WD GREEN 3TB HDD
1 WD BLACK1.5TB HDD
OBSIDIAN 750D CASE
750W PSU

so this is my build at the moment and now im just wondering should i replace the 2 gtx 275 ? will a newer graphics card be better than the 2 in sli, the next part is im on a budget as im unfit for work at the moment due to a shattered elbow so what would be my best bang for my buck haha lets say about $250 to spend ... any other suggestions to increase performance or that will go good with my build please let me know
smile.gif

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
From what I can find your current GPU setup, if it scales well, it's still behind a single GTX 660. Not sure how much money you want to spend, but going to something like a GTX 760 would blow that old setup away with much less heat and power consumption. A GTX 770 would be even better if you don't mind spending the extra. I'd also suggest an SSD and switching to a proper RAM kit rather than the mixed arrangement you currently have - although RAM isn't that cheap still.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you can wait till the next line of NVidia cards come out, I would highly recommend doing so.

Then we strike!
bruce.gif

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
With $250 you can get a R9 270X or gtx 760 which will be significantly faster than your current setup, and will also provide dx11.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

With $250 you can get a R9 270X or gtx 760 which will be significantly faster than your current setup, and will also provide dx11.
Well, DX12 is right around the corner, and some of the features will require an 8xx series card. That's why I recommend waiting. If nothing else, the new cards should lower current prices.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
OK it's SLi, but it's pretty old... my 2x GTX470's are getting old
smile.gif
(especially on my 1440p monitor...)

I would only upgrade your cards atm... an SSD is nice to have, but only boots faster or load stuff faster. It's not getting more fps in games...

About your RAM... it's never a good idea to mix brands, speeds, timings or sizes... this will just put more stress on your setup as it continu has to "sync" all the different RAM things, causing it to loos way too much time doing so, resulting in slower PC or worser stability...

If you don't have the cash right now, try to use the 2x 2GB stick (if they are the same) aand put each stick in the same colored slot (dual-banking) --> in your case, put one stick in the black and the other in the other black. Or put one in the orange and the other one in the other orange. DON'T put 1 in an orange slot and the other one in a black slot. It will work, but it will NOT be dual-banking technology.

Just try it to see if it feels smoother... If it feels slower, just put the sticks back...

As for your card, go wit GTX760(Ti) or 770 or 780(Ti) --> just 1 card is so advanced today it will be faster than your SLi setup. But in a few months the 8xx series come out... Then again, somday the 9xx series will come out
wink.gif

But why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Is it just itching? Or do you really see performance is lacking? And for what do you use it? I guess gaming?

And 2x 275 on 1080p is maybe not all the time 60fps... but you could lower some setiings... (if you're on a 1080p monitor)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the EVGA GTX 560Tti and it is still smashing any game I throw on it.
What should I say that the card is 2 years old and I have to keep it for at least 4 more years.
I would wait for the 800 series as they will suport DX12 better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so i have looked at all possibilities
and seems a you all think the gtx 760 is the most ideal for my setup thank you for your help
smile.gif
thumb.gif

now would it be a smarter idea for me to wait for new cards to come out ?
or would it be better if i spent a whole lot more money on a good graphics card ?
i know the decision is a personal and up-to me but my knowledge compared to you guys seems a lot better and wiser
smile.gif

@ASUSfreak
and i have taking into mind i will need to fix my ram situation and,
eventually move get a ssd
and yea its itching me a bit putting this computer together with new and old products ahah
and it does lack sometimes in playing games :/

i really appreciate all this guys

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Ignoring the fustercluck that is your RAM layout.

You're on a budget because you can't work at the moment? So you decide to upgrade your graphics card? Does not compute.
Is there some game that you REALLY want to play and absolutely can't at the moment? If not? Why upgrade?
There's always a next series that's going to come out. And if you're on a budget and not in need of dire replacement: wait or at least buy second hand.

If I was in your situation and I "needed" the upgrade then I would just look for a good second-hand deal. You have 2 GPU's right now so there's no rush IMHO.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
tell ur monitor resolution first.

if urs is like 1600x900, or 1440 below, then it may not matter lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts