Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ga-ma790x-ud49 mobo that is set up for crossfire. But it only has one pci-e x16 port. The other is x8. Would i be better off just getting one very good card or 2 mid grade cards?
Will the x8 bottle neck me?
Sorry i really don't know anything about video cards at all.

·
Registered
816 Posts
One very good card.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you don't have a good or decent card already, then you should be looking at one very good card. PCIe1 x8 has the same bandwidth as PCIe2 x4, I think. So, I believe that would limit any new-ish graphics cards in crossfire.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. How is NVIDIA's support in linux? B/C if I get just one i think im gunna go that route b/c the support/drivers seem to suck for ati and linux.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If you are using a mid range card you won't notice a performance difference running it in a x8 slot.

I would go for 1 better card than 2 lesser cards, you then have the option to add another good card later on when you have the money

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Nvidia support is much better in Linux, but it also depends on what distro you are using. ATi drivers are out there, but difficult to find; in some linux distros they're much easier to track down.

If you do go the Nvidia route, you'll be limited to that one card and can kiss SLI goodbye on that board; plus xfire scales sooo much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts