Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am in the process of planning a Desk case PC build, i am lucky to have a Brother in Law who is a Cabinet / furniture builder by trade who will be doing the really hard work.

My questions pretty simple. So there is two PCs, do i have any options available to me to cause all the case fans turn to on when just one of the PCs is turned on? (I.E if i turn PC A on, fans start, if i turn PC B on, fans Start?)

The two PCs are quite different, one a gaming PC, which is water cooled, the other is a low end AM1 PC (media Center duties) , so my thoughts are that i just ensure the fans near and around each are wired to each, but with the current layout planned, it would be better if the air in and exhaust fans all came on which ever was started up.

The only obvious option i can see is to have none of the fans wired to the boards and have them separate powered and switched, but that brings risks of forgetting to turn on (more if my partner or kids use the desk)

Any ideas or pointers would be awesome.

Some pictures showing the basic ideas. There is to be 3 lots of 2x 120 fans along the top back of the desk, the idea was the left and right are sucking in, the middle is exhausting up.

The large Phobya Radiator would be lowered into the middle leg, drawing air through,and out of the leg. so most all the Gaming PCs heat is external. the three fan panels are just for the airflow over the boards.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
1.) How about attaching the CAD drawing files?
2.) Use a relay. When it is tripped by current from either motherboard's 12 volt header it closes and sends power to both sets of fans.

• Rep+
Reactions: Billwin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trying to attach in Sketch up format and Auto (via sketchup export, so no idea if any good)

but getting an error

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks cool, i would imagine neither of my current supplies would be up to the job of running both machines lol.

From memory its a cooler master 600 w semi modeler on the gaming PC (I5 3570k, not oc, and R9-290, EK pump)

The other PC an AM1 system, no dedicated GPU has some bog standard piece of junk. Then the build would be adding many fans too.

i wouldn't bet on the cooler master running both safely?

I guess its a good option, if i go get a nice supply too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI all.

Been thinking and amending plans on this, based on costs mostly
smile.gif
the extra tray mounts and feedback that the overall desk design was rather complicated (costly to produce)

Plan is to go down to a single PC in the desk. So its been simplified, with the plan being the 1080 Phobya rad sits flat on the inside of the desk on the right hand side, the Mainboard is on the left hand side.

The above image (xray) hopefully shows enough detail. On the left hand side of the desk (as your looking at it from seated) there will be a cut out for 2 x 120 mm fans (AF i assume to be the choice here) then along the back there is firstly from left to right, the ATX tray cut out, then the PSU cut out, then far right there is out back again 2 x 120mm fans, and a large cut out for the Rad.

The idea for airflow is in on the left, giving airflow over the board, most heat from the board (CPU/GPU) is piped via the water loop along to the right hand side. The airflow on the radiator is Air in from below, up through the radiator (so heats coming into the case) then almost directly next to the radiator at the back are the 2 x 120mm exhausts.

So my first question would be, does this seem ok as far as flow goes?

I have had another thought last night having seen an item, a PSU mount that mounts the PSU on it side. This has me thinking further, should i mount the PSU on it side instead of flat.

The present plan has a cut out back and below, so the large PSU inlet fan can suck fresh air and exhausts straight out, which should be neither adding to taking heat from the system.

But my thoughts are now, if it was on side, the large inlet fan facing the Main board, it would be exhausting some of the airflow over the main board out, instead of just relying on the exhaust on the far side of the case.

Opinions on Flat mounting or sideways mounting? then i guess is my second question?

Thanks in advance for any advice (or criticism
smile.gif
)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts