Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I thought it was a pretty general question.

I currently have my rig, Logitech e5300's, my 24" monitor, 42" HDTV, and HD DVR DirecTV box all plugged into the same surge protector with no issues. I also plug either a small desk lamp or window fan in the extra outlet on the surge protector from time to time.

I will be finally building my dedicated folding rig either this week or the next. I don't have a dedicated display for it, so I was planning on connecting it to my HDTV, and use that to check it from time to time.

What I am thinking is that because the folding rig is just going to be one plug, would it be safe to run that off the surge protector as well. My main rig is only on when I'm awake and home, but the folder I want on 24/7. This would really be ideal as I can just have the second tower on the left side of my desk, and use a wireless mouse and keyboard for when needed.

So is it too much to put on one surge protector?

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
You have a max of 1600 W per line in the house. That includes everything that in plugged into that "line". So if this "line" has 4 or 5 wall outlets then you need to include everything on that "line". As long as you don't exceed or are on the boarder like of 1600 W then you're fine. Your PC probably uses about 400 W max on full load, the lamp 80 W, TV 120 W, monitor 40 W and the HDR 40 W as well. Should be good. But the folding rig is probably iffy. I wouldn't do it....try just plugging it in another room. In theory you should be fine, but eh, thats a lot of stuff plugged into 1 outlet. xD

That's how I think it goes. It might be 1250 W, but I'm pretty sure its 1600 W.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lkegley9
View Post

I remember one thing about some PSUs that can put out more than 1200W, that you need a special plug for it to go over 1200W and its not the standard 3 prong. And I think you can get adapters, but I am willing to bet its 1200W.

Makes sense. I think the dryer outlet is on its own line as well. That's probably where the 1600 W come from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts