Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
There are mobo's with multiple CPU ports. They will become more readily available as Intel releases their new CPU's, which will come in multi-chip packages.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well right now can any games even take advantage of it? or is it kind of a waste of money right now? The idk i think it was dual core gpu from asus you cant really put it in sli or something.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by simon741

Well right now can any games even take advantage of it? or is it kind of a waste of money right now? The idk i think it was dual core gpu from asus you cant really put it in sli or something.

Games are just beginning to take advantage of Dual Cores. Quake 4 has just released a patch, along with COD2 (which didn't really help). This is just the tip of the iceberg, and it's likely that many games will now take advantage of this. UT2007 will also have dual core support when it is released and should provide a decent boost if you have dual core, as this game promises to be extremely demanding. From then on, I'd imagine the majority of games will be able to take advantage of this technology

·
Banned
182 Posts
hey they sell a pci-ex card that is a 939 amd socket i am thinking of buying 1 so i can have 2 processors it comes with everything you may need

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by simon741

I forgot to put a ?. Could it support 2 dual core cpus or would would one go idle?

Yes, It could support 2 dual core processorshere. I had a motherboard similar to that, but it had SLi. It's a waste of money to get a compy with 2 processors unless your planning to run windows server or some os like that. 1 processor wouldn't go idle, it would share the work between the 2 processors, just working at 1/2 the speed.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by graffittisk8er

ehh two proccessors really isnt worth having unless its dual core. anyways if you do get two processors you will probably need a server mobo.

Yes, you need a server motherboard, with a special PSU and registered memory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts