Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have my 300w powering my cpu and mobo. i have a 240w powering my hdd, optical drive, and my 7800. i have my 240 switched with a kill i had and the 300 switched to my case power button. so when i power up my 300w with the case power button should i at the exact same time switch on the 240w or would it be ok to have a small time delay with powering it up, and vice versa with powering down.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Invest in a new psu?... Or you could get one of those cables that conjoin the 24 pin of both PSUs so they turn on at the same time

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Get a new PSU. you can get a 650w from newegg *the one I have) for 100 USD

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpykins
View Post

Just flip the 240 on a split second before the 300. Powering the optical/hdd/7800 isn't going to hurt them.

thank you very much. nice clear simple answer
as others clearly missed all i needed was an answer not recomendations for a new psu. obviously if i had the money i would get a new one but seeing as how i just blew mine i have to resort to my back ups.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeenAgeReneGade2316
View Post

once again.....Can We Stay On Topic Please? there is no need for discussion on sales of items. please give forth helpful, on topic info or none at all. (and this isn't just directed at you master chief but to everybody! )

Okay on topic, make them switch on at the same time.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ok so i have my 300w powering my cpu and mobo. i have a 240w powering my hdd, optical drive, and my 7800. i have my 240 switched with a kill i had and the 300 switched to my case power button. so when i power up my 300w with the case power button should i at the exact same time switch on the 240w or would it be ok to have a small time delay with powering it up, and vice versa with powering down.

Just a note.... Based on their wattages, these are probably cheap/older PSUs. You need to make sure you pay attention to cross-loading. You must have at least a decent load on the 3.3v/5v otherwise your +12v won't be properly regulated. In which case, you maybe damaging your components.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Just a note.... Based on their wattages, these are probably cheap/older PSUs. You need to make sure you pay attention to cross-loading. You must have at least a decent load on the 3.3v/5v otherwise your +12v won't be properly regulated. In which case, you maybe damaging your components.

I ran a cheap 480w PSU on just the 12v for more than a year to power my subwoofer.

Not to mention the hard drive/optical will provide 5v load on the one PSU (which *should* be enough to regulate the 12v), and the motherboard will be providing plenty of load on the other PSU.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

View Post

good point! i will look into this, thank you for the warning.

EDIT

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtSpike
View Post

I ran a cheap 480w PSU on just the 12v for more than a year to power my subwoofer.

Not to mention the hard drive/optical will provide 5v load on the one PSU (which *should* be enough to regulate the 12v), and the motherboard will be providing plenty of load on the other PSU.

on the 240 i have a 2-molex to 6-pin gpu connector, and the drives are both sata

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtSpike
View Post

Subwoofers are more tolerant to ripple and poor voltage regulation.

*Should* does not mean will. This is just a warning but something to watch for.

Also, there aren't many components on the motherboard that draws from the +5v rail.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

View Post

Subwoofers are more tolerant to ripple and poor voltage regulation.

*Should* does not mean will. This is just a warning but something to watch for.

Also, there aren't many components on the motherboard that draws from the +5v rail.

you said to watch for this issue due to old psu's? any specific year to start worries?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

you said to watch for this issue due to old psu's? any specific year to start worries?

Any old/cheap PSU sold as of 7/21/09 may have poor cross-load characteristics.

For decent PSU, designs got better 2-3 years ago so they are less of an issue.

If you have a multi-meter, you can see how much more stable the +12v gets with a load on the +5v. I did some tests on a Dell and Generic PSU a few years ago.... can't find the post.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

View Post

Any old/cheap PSU sold as of 7/21/09 may have poor cross-load characteristics.

For decent PSU, designs got better 2-3 years ago so they are less of an issue.

If you have a multi-meter, you can see how much more stable the +12v gets with a load on the +5v. I did some tests on a Dell and Generic PSU a few years ago.... can't find the post.

ok i will do some research and heed your warning, thank you very much!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeenAgeReneGade2316 View Post
thank you very much. nice clear simple answer
as others clearly missed all i needed was an answer not recomendations for a new psu. obviously if i had the money i would get a new one but seeing as how i just blew mine i have to resort to my back ups.
Thats how I run mine, 500watt for the actually gubbins, 250watt for fans and drives (possibley light and crap when I bother to actually make a nice case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts