Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was checking the system and can't find anything "growing"... That being said my coolant temp jumped 2C and seems to be hanging out there now. Wondering if there could be a constricted point in the rad maybe? Everything else is clear tubing and clear distribution blocks (CPU, GPU and front distro plate). Shining a super bright led flashlight doesn't show anything anywhere, but the one place I can't see inside is the radiator. Flow seems to be alright though, but don't have an actual readout on it. Just an impeller that shows it's moving pretty well. Oh, the coolant is only about 6 months old, distilled water with CuSO4 and Mayhem's inhibitor.

Second, I have a push/pull system on the rad that is drawing air from the case outward. Was thinking wouldn't it be better to draw it from an outside source into the case and vent it from the back fans outward? I was afraid ultimately it would heat up the case to much but the coolant is what makes the most difference. I have three fans in the back that could be rotated to draw the air from the case.

Here's a pic so you can see the layout of the case.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
I don't know the answer to your questions but that is a sexy build you got there.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Did your ambient temp of your room increase? If so this could account for the 2c. I’m firmly entrenched in the all RADs in camp. I don’t know of any other RAD applications (automotive, industrial) that has pre heated air introduced in to the RAD.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did your ambient temp of your room increase? If so this could account for the 2c. I’m firmly entrenched in the all RADs in camp. I don’t know of any other RAD applications (automotive, industrial) that has pre heated air introduced in to the RAD.

Temp inside had gone up just a hair (we keep it about 80f). But we also live in alabama now and the humidity has gone through the roof (105f and 80% humidity). So that may account for some. Just found it odd that last night the machine was keeping a steady 30C at idle and has never climbed above 36C even after gaming hard for an hour or two. This morning fired it up and after 20 minutes it hit 32C and has pretty much sat there all day at that temp at idle.

But you are right, I think that the fans should be pulling outside air into the case so that it's not pre-warmed by the case ambient temps heading the opposite direction. So I'll flip the rad fans around and the side fans to pull out. I've also added ducts to the rear fans in order to pull cooler air into the system. The design of the case means that most of the air will get recycled from behind the motherboard since it takes the path of less resistance. Not the greatest design option, but it's an easy fix.

Any other insights would be helpful. I still find it odd that it jumped the 2C from turning it off last night to on this morning. I keep waiting to see a chunk of algae or something go zipping by and I have to resist the urge to tear it all down to find it. But it's not gradually climbing and holding steady instead.

·
Rig Advisor
2,010 Posts
I was checking the system and can't find anything "growing"... That being said my coolant temp jumped 2C and seems to be hanging out there now. Wondering if there could be a constricted point in the rad maybe? Everything else is clear tubing and clear distribution blocks (CPU, GPU and front distro plate). Shining a super bright led flashlight doesn't show anything anywhere, but the one place I can't see inside is the radiator. Flow seems to be alright though, but don't have an actual readout on it. Just an impeller that shows it's moving pretty well. Oh, the coolant is only about 6 months old, distilled water with CuSO4 and Mayhem's inhibitor.

Second, I have a push/pull system on the rad that is drawing air from the case outward. Was thinking wouldn't it be better to draw it from an outside source into the case and vent it from the back fans outward? I was afraid ultimately it would heat up the case to much but the coolant is what makes the most difference. I have three fans in the back that could be rotated to draw the air from the case.

Here's a pic so you can see the layout of the case.

Thanks for the help
There is nothing wrong with your current configuration. You have 3 intakes and 3 exhausts with your exhaust being top mounted and the correct choice of the two. When was the last time you burped your system?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is nothing wrong with your current configuration. You have 3 intakes and 3 exhausts with your exhaust being top mounted and the correct choice of the two. When was the last time you burped your system?

Actually I did it today. Just in case there was a bubble or anything caught somewhere in the rad/system. Guess I could always pickup a couple more powerful fans for the intake. I know after reading about the 011 dynamic best choice for airflow directions that is initially how it's been setup. Some people with much more time than myself found the optimal flow for the case design. But still, maybe I'll check the ambient case temperature to compare with outside of it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Have you checked if your cpu vcore has increased, are you running dynamic vcore or fixed. I find it hard to believe you would have algae issue, when you say the rest of the clear parts are clear. Algae would need light to grow, you would see evidence in clear areas. That is if enough grew, broke off and clogged the RAD.

Many of threads have discussed the pros and cons of air in to RADs or exhausted out. I have to go with personal experience and all industries that never heat the air before it enters the RAD. The colder the air is that enters the RAD the more efficient it is. Hell automative industry even puts inter coolers on turbo application, and that’s the exhaust to make the turbo more efficient

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you checked if your cpu vcore has increased, are you running dynamic vcore or fixed. I find it hard to believe you would have algae issue, when you say the rest of the clear parts are clear. Algae would need light to grow, you would see evidence in clear areas. That is if enough grew, broke off and clogged the RAD.

Many of threads have discussed the pros and cons of air in to RADs or exhausted out. I have to go with personal experience and all industries that never heat the air before it enters the RAD. The colder the air is that enters the RAD the more efficient it is. Hell automative industry even puts inter coolers on turbo application, and that’s the exhaust to make the turbo more efficient

LOL that's true about the intercoolers on the turbo's. I used to be a prototype power train engineer. Designed/tested enough of those systems. That was my initial thought. Have it pull the air from outside so that it's cold, feed that through the rad into the box and then draw it out with the fans on the side wall. But when I was researching the 011 dynamic case, they tested temps and said that the best was by pulling in from the back and expelling it out the top. But Ultimately I think that I'm going to swap them around and test it that way. Like I said before, because the fans on the side draw air from behind the motherboard, those crappy little slots they cut in the skin really don't help. So I'm drawing air from behind the motherboard and from the power supply. That's feeding the case with warm air already, then pushing it through the rad definitely isn't helping. As for algae, ya I haven't seen a single thing that would show that something is growing. So I have to believe that it's due to drawing warm air through the rad as well as it being exceptionally hot/humid down here. This is the first time i've ever lived in a climate with the humidity so damn high. That extra hot moisture in the air can account for some of it. Maybe there's still a bubble in there as well. Anyway, I tend to over-think these things anyway. Just the way my brain works... Also why I was such a good engineer/fabricator lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
OP: what mounts are those for your res on the fans?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Forgot to mention the Vcore. It's dynamic, but the range is very small. 1.27 +- .009 and this isn't a new setting. When I was over-clocking that setting changed months ago. But oddly enough I think the humidity has a larger factor than originally thought. The last two days it's been rain with much cooler temps/humidity outside. So it's been holding back to 30-31C much easier. This weekend I'll be flipping the air flow through the rad. I've already flipped the ones at the back of the case.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow up:

I think a good portion of the problem was due to the humidity. Since moving to alabama it's been brutal and I'm definitely not used to it. But this past 2 weeks have been worse than usual. It's since rained for 2 days and the temp/humidity has dropped quite a bit. Due to that the temp dropped about 1C, not a lot but enough to factor in the weather down here. Also flipped the fans and that has made a HUGE difference. The side fans are now pulling outward and the top rad push/pull is pulling cold air into the case. The air flow has definitely improved because I can see a change in the VRM and the NVMe drives. Did a smoke test (using a little incense) and the air is constantly in a good flowing motion. Think maybe I'll replace the side fans with a couple more corsairs but it'll be the last time I go against my instinct/education and listen to somebody who's "tested" a piece of equipment. Much happier with the temps now. They weren't bad before, but sometimes I just want to squeeze everything I can out of the system, especially since OC'ing the crap out of it. Plus eventually the new nvidia cards will drop and that'll definitely add more heat over-all. So I guess part of it was prep for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts