Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing an essay about why AMD is better than Intel when it comes to price/performance ratio and I want to include some feedback other than mine.

First 2 people that give me their opinion get the keys. You can also be Intel fanboy and state why Intel is better price/performance.

I hope I'm not doing anything against the TOS.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
For me I started using AMD CPUs around 2005. for the price/performance ratio in my opinion they cant be beat. I just got a Phenom II Black Edition 555 x2 3.2 Ghz for 88$ US and it unlocked to X4. a 3.2 Ghz x4 for 88$? How can you beat that? I also dont like that Intel is going to sell codes to unlock extra performance.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Look at all AMD CPUs on Newegg... I mean it is clearly cheaper than Intel when you only compare performance. It is the only thing you should get if you are an average user. However, it can only do so much performance. With a $300 price tag on the i7 930, you can get almost twice the performance as the best AMD quad core right now, especially if you OC. People will stick with AMD, however, because they have cheaper Mobos and cheaper ram to pair it up with, while Intel requires DDR3, and x58 mobo.

So to recap... The price/performance level falls off when you look for higher performance than the average user, especially if you are comparing it to the i7. But it is a lot cheaper because the RAM and mobo required for AMD is cheaper, and 1 socket Mobo can last through a couple generations, and it will look even better if you are just upgrading.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When i built my first computer in a Year ago i thought to myself what would be a good budget quad core. One day as i was walking through frys i saw the athlon II X4 620 for 50 bucks !!! i bought it and thats where it started. i got a amd mobo and ram and i got a pretty fast PC for around 800$ USD. i bet intel cant give me 4 cores for 50 bucks heck even an i3 which is inferior is around 95 dollars.

·
Robot
865 Posts
The only reason to buy a more expensive Intel processor is for benchmarks. It's cheaper to buy AMD, you won't notice a performance gap in games/daily use or at least I haven't. Also my AMD processor runs a lot cooler than my Q6700 did at the same GHz OC. 1055T @ 3.4GHz max temperature- 43C, Q6700 with same heatsink max temperature @ 3.4GHz- 57C.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For statistics I put older quadcores,Phenom 9850 and Quad-Core Q8300. When they came out the amd one was around $85 bucks and the Intel was $220. AMD's cpu scores 2964 and Intel's 3565. I got the benchmark results from cpubenchmark.net, I think those benchmarks were to show best cpu scores by price or something like that.

Anyways I'll PM the key to the first 2 that posted when I get home at night. And thanks a lot for the other people that posted I really appreciate it. I think I also got 1-2 wow keys let me know if you need one (For the rest that posted).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodalink
View Post

For statistics I put older quadcores,Phenom 9850 and Quad-Core Q8300. When they came out the amd one was around $85 bucks and the Intel was $220. AMD's cpu scores 2964 and Intel's 3565. I got the benchmark results from cpubenchmark.net, I think those benchmarks were to show best cpu scores by price or something like that.

Anyways I'll PM the key to the first 2 that posted when I get home at night. And thanks a lot for the other people that posted I really appreciate it. I think I also got 1-2 wow keys let me know if you need one (For the rest that posted).

The second guy edited and added the whole story after i posted btw.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jzkillzone23
View Post

The second guy edited and added the whole story after i posted btw.

No... I added additional information for clarification.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What about SLI/Crossfire on X58? With AMD, all you get is CrossfireX. With intel you get SLI/CrossfireX. That has to count for something when you're looking at price. I don't have to change my mobo if I want one or the other.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
AMD has better price for performance because their price is proportionally lower than Intel's prices, while their performance is only slightly worse.

yep...

AMD also turns defective quads into triple and dual cores...whereas Intel just throws them away? AMD also clocks their CPUs at a higher base frequency than Intel. (but in the long run this means Intel has a better overclocking headroom for their CPUs)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EVILNOK
View Post

The second guy added the last sentence in that paragraph and thats all. Thanks for noticing though.( Tryeco is technically the 3rd guy)

uh I got so late yesterday at home and was dead tired so i forgot to PM the codes. I'll do it today after my Midterm

About who is 2nd and 3rd um I don't want this to turn into an argument to who was first. Technically he posted first regardless if he finished or not, I should have paid more attention to the thread, but I'm at work

I do not know what to do. I'll think about it until I get home. I'll see if I have something else for the third one so everybody is happy

Anyways I'm very happy with all the responses I got and even with the ones that were posted afterward just to help out! I wish I had more codes.

Edit: btw my main point in the essay I did was price/performance ratio. After building a few intel computers and then being in the market for a new cpu I found myself across the 1055T which I got for like $110 after rebates and BCB at TD. I'm so happy with my CPU and it's performance specially with what I paid for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts