Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy with 2 unlocked 6950's, a pair of hard drives and an SSD, 4x4gb of ddr3, 2500k at stock, but he wants overclocking headroom, and a few fans in an antec 300. I was wondering what would be a good PSU to power this. I was thinking 750w would be plenty for that setup, but he disagrees. Help?

edit: his reasoning: "What I'm saying is once you take into account capacitor aging, OCing, and future upgrades, 750w is too close."

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftkidd2323 View Post

I know a guy with 2 unlocked 6950's, a pair of hard drives and an SSD, 4x4gb of ddr3, 2500k at stock, but he wants overclocking headroom, and a few fans in an antec 300. I was wondering what would be a good PSU to power this. I was thinking 750w would be plenty for that setup, but he disagrees. Help?
edit: his reasoning: "What I'm saying is once you take into account capacitor aging, OCing, and future upgrades, 750w is too close."
You are correct and he isn't, 750W is plenty for two 6950s(even unlocked) and a 2500K overclocked to hell and back.. provided we're talking about a quality PSU.
Capacitor aging is completely misunderstood, unless we're talking about a PSU put through its paces for 5-7 years, capacitor aging is a non issue.

• Rep+
Reactions: xDriftyy

·
Registered
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post

You are correct and he isn't, 750W is plenty for two 6950s(even unlocked) and a 2500K overclocked to hell and back.. provided we're talking about a quality PSU.
Capacitor aging is completely misunderstood, unless we're talking about a PSU put through its paces for 5-7 years, capacitor aging is a non issue.
This, capacitor aging really isn't an issue on new, quality power supplies and thus shouldn't be considered. And as for overclocking, it's plenty, easily, heck he could run such a system on a 650 watt PSU just fine at stock without worry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts