Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i looking to add a 2nd res in just for looks into my build i currently have a EK XRES (250ml) D5 Vario Pump/Reservoir Combo, im looking to add a ek-res x3 250 lite in, my loop would have to be res/pump combo - res - gpu-gpu-cpu-rad-rad

any help would be great thank you

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
it is NEVER a good idea to pump INTO a res.
Because a Res is a flow killer

Now, if it is just a res without pump, put it so that it (gravity) feeds into pumped res... which means "at the end of your loop" AFTER the rads BEFORE the Res with Pump

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Having two reservoirs in series can be awkward.

It can be difficult to control the fluid levels as in effect you will now have two air traps both working independently of each other. One res will trap the majority of air and that is the one that will always drop in level as compared to the other res.

Proper way to accomplish it (if you just want two reservoirs for aesthetics) is to do what I am doing in my current build and run a parallel setup for the reservoirs. Only issue for you is the fact that you have the D5 pump combo so achieving a true parallel res setup is not possible.

Check out my build log - Link in signature below.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys, I didnt want to start another thread because I have a similar situation, only the pump is separate from both reservoirs (not a combo unit). So, would something like this be possible? this is a quick CAD flow diagram, sorry for crudeness. The pump is blue, and flow direction is represented by the red arrow. Reason I am asking is that I would like to put 2 reservoirs in the build I am planning. The pump model is a D5 PWM version. Rads are at top and right. The main thing I am interested in of course are the 2 reservoirs and their placement in the loop. One of the reservoirs will be horizontally mounted, and the other vertical. Thanks for any input.....

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You should only use one res. Here is the optimal layout. Rad>Res>Pump>Block. But if you are using multiple rads and blocks, the rule is that you ALWAYS have a rad in between blocks with the res before the pump. This way you are not getting dirty (hot) water into the next block which would make water cooling basically useless. I wouldn't have it go into the gpu block and then directly into the cpu block without a rad in between. But having motherboard blocks adds to the problem, make sure you go through those before you go into gpu or cpu because they won't make the water dirty for the gpu or cpu since they don't run that hot.

·
Premium Member
6,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klue22 View Post

Rads should be before blocks generally.
not really. it doesnt matter where the rads are in relation to the blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelthras View Post

You should only use one res. Here is the optimal layout. Rad>Res>Pump>Block. But if you are using multiple rads and blocks, the rule is that you ALWAYS have a rad in between blocks with the res before the pump. This way you are not getting dirty (hot) water into the next block which would make water cooling basically useless. I wouldn't have it go into the gpu block and then directly into the cpu block without a rad in between. But having motherboard blocks adds to the problem, make sure you go through those before you go into gpu or cpu because they won't make the water dirty for the gpu or cpu since they don't run that hot.
just straight up wrong. as i stated just stated, it doesnt matter where the rads are located in the loop relative to the blocks. it has no real actual discernible bearing on temps.

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

not really. it doesnt matter where the rads are in relation to the blocks.
just straight up wrong. as i stated just stated, it doesnt matter where the rads are located in the loop relative to the blocks. it has no real actual discernible bearing on temps.
Thanks for clearing that misinformation up quickly

So yeah, unless you're running ONE D5/res combo with the other being a standard res, its going to be a pain. If you're doing that, then have the passive res feed into the combo by gravity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, thanks guys. So it really boils down to doing a 2 loop set up in this instance then, or at least it would seem. The flow diagram I attached was done mainly to illustrate sequence for the reservoirs. The component and rad order was arbitrary for the most part. Right now the build will consist of just a single gpu, but I will be updating this when / if skylake - e hits along with the proper Titan X replacement x 2 in a year, give or take a couple of months. The horizontal res is aesthetic, and I wasn't quite sure about flow degradation with this configuration.

·
Premium Member
6,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klue22 View Post

Rads before blocks means that you negate any heat dump from the pump. Although usually this is quite negligable.
sorry but its pointless as the heat from a d5, and only a d5 dumps heat into a loop, would be less than 20watt of heat. as you said, its negligible. also, the temp difference of the water anywhere in the loop will generally be 2-2.5*C. that amount of temperature difference means nothing to components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu270bro View Post

Ok, thanks guys. So it really boils down to doing a 2 loop set up in this instance then, or at least it would seem. .
single loop. unless youre using 3/4 big video cards there isnt a reason to run dual loops. a single loop is more efficient, cost friendly, less maintenance, less to 'break', etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts